• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ESPN reports GROB traded,hawks get Terrell Brandon

thescout10

Four-Team Deal: Sprewell to Wolves

A blockbuster four-team NBA trade has been completed today, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher reports. In the deal, the Knicks get Keith Van Horn from Philadelphia, and ship Latrell Sprewell to the Timberwolves. Terrell Brandon goes from the Wolves to the Hawks, while Glen Robinson lands in Philadelphia.

Was I not expecting that when I refreshed. I guess this was a move to make sure we resigned Jason Terry. The T-Wolves have made a lot of moves this offseason. Their roster is filled with big namers now. Cassell/Wally/Grob/KG/Kandi. Am I happy? Considering the fact that we now probably resign JT, DerMarr and maybe someone else and still stay under luxury tax? Yes, I am.

The trade works in the trade checker, but truth be told I don't understand it.

We obviously get little back in Brandon if he truly is done or hobbled. The 76ers are getting scoring punch for sure and their defense won't get worse when Horn leaves.

So what's in it for New York/Atlanta.

There's got to be a draft pick or something in there for us you'd think.

If not, what would we line up.

Brandon, Terry, Diaw, SAR, Ratliff

Dickau, Hansen, Demarr, Hendu, Mohammed.

That's a [censored] of a handles team (far cry from last year) but [censored] small considering Diaw is slight of build.

Atlanta trades: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 37.5 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -20.8 ppg, -6.6 rpg, and -3.0 apg.

Change in team outlook: 0.0 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and 0.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Atlanta being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Atlanta had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 1150331

Talk about it on the Trade Board

How to use Trade ID: Go to http://www.realgm.com and enter the

trade id into the box provided on the left menu bar, then press go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click here to try another trade with new teams, or click here to try another trade between these teams.

If he is unsigned I would offer him a K today. I am pleased with the trade as we will now be able to commit to JT and then have cap space available next year. We really need to commit to filing the 2 and 3 spots on the roster. We now have CC, Diaw, Hansen as the only 2/3 wing players on the roster. We may be shooting for Demarr (if available), Corey Benjamin, Jon Barry, and Dion as possible roster spots. I would not be opposed to bringing back Jim Jackson if we hire a strong coach to coach the unit.

^^^ Indeed. TB basically said halfway through last season he'd never play again. This was a trade of Big Dog for cap space. All the GRob haters should be happy

I think it's a good move because the big 4 (JT Reef GRob Theo) as a unit weren't going anywhere. Someone had to go, and I think it had to be Robinson. Even better, this shows that we can pull moves even though the new ownership isn't fully in place. I think this is great. A little cap space, and hopefully a new owner, GM, and coach soon... conditions are perfect for the new owner to make some good moves and turn this franchise around. I can't wait to see if we'll be making moves for free agents this year or setting it up for next year. We really need a good SG/SF now to step in.

So let me get this straight, we traded Terrell Brandon for these reasons:

1. Cap relief

2. Ability to sign JT, DJ, Darrell Armstrong, Kenny Anderson

3. Big time players for free agency in 2005

however, the biggest question I have is whether or not Terrell Brandon will play for the Hawks? Will the the Hawks buy out his contract? I'm just curious if there is more to this story than we know. I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Brandon will not play. He's going to retire, and after January, the Hawks will get relief on the cap. What this deal ensures is that Robinson's $12 million will not be on the books for next season, and this gives the Hawks an incentive to lock Jason Terry up long term with a contract starting at around $6 million. I think a 7 year, $61 million deal will keep him in Atlanta.

It also may give the Hawks some incentive to resign DerMarr Johnson now, while adding a veteran point guard in Darrell Armstrong to supply some depth and some much needed bench scoring.

This also signals that Boris Diaw will likely play small forward.

What this is though, pretty much, is addition by subtraction. Glenn was just a terrible fit for this team. Stan Kasten's comments at the end of the season showed that he wasn't too pleased with the way Robinson meshed with the other players when it was proven that they were better without him.

Obviously, the trade has some drawbacks. I don't like trading a player for a basically dead contract. I haven't seen too much evidence that actually says having a lot of cap space equals the chance at an NBA Championship. If it did, Orlando probably should have one.

However, I like the flexibility this trade offers as far as the possibilities for the team. Now, if you put Diaw at SF, you can possibly play Dermarr or Glover at SG without losing overall ballhandling. With Big Dog at SF, the team ballhandling was pretty bad. And, until Diaw gets comfortable in the NBA and works on his shot, you still have offensive talent on the court (to be fair, Big Dog would have easily overcome Diaw's offensive deficiencies). Defensively, a line-up of Terry/DJ/Diaw/SAR/Theo is a pretty imposing lineup (and you know it would be raining three pointers:P). Maybe Carlisle is drooling over the possibilities?

Just a thought.