• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin!

Frenzy

forgot how ugly those yellow uni's were.

I think more than any other player MW most likely was impacted by the riff between Woody and BK. For all practicle purposes they were he 'father figure' professionally and the spat between them rattled him. Thnk that was evident in his play?

dude wtf, billy and woody were his father figures...... noob.gif

I still feel that marvin will have a better career than both jj smoove and al, but i just dont think that he can have it as a hawk. Its hard asking him to score a lot of points while being a 3rd or potentially 4th or even 5th option if al becomes really good. This is why we have to make the decision of either trading marvin or trading one of our other guys... my guess is trade smoove and mike bibby for a baron davis and get a good center from them. Because as much as i love smoove, he is as clumsy as marv and he cant shoot. Take away his dunks and he is average. Marvin still has more potential than smoove.

Quote:

dude wtf, billy and woody were his father figures......
noob.gif

I still feel that marvin will have a better career than both jj smoove and al, but i just dont think that he can have it as a hawk. Its hard asking him to score a lot of points while being a 3rd or potentially 4th or even 5th option if al becomes really good. This is why we have to make the decision of either trading marvin or trading one of our other guys... my guess is trade smoove and mike bibby for a baron davis and get a good center from them. Because as much as i love smoove, he is as clumsy as marv and he cant shoot. Take away his dunks and he is average. Marvin still has more potential than smoove.

Smoove isn't more clumsy than Marvin sorry. So you think Marvin will be than Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Al Horford? I think you are crazy to say such a thing. Big Al will average a double double when he retires. JJ will be an all star the rest of his career, if not very close. Smoove will end up with the most blocks in Hawks history and continue to break history in that category. What does marvin do so well that makes you think he will be better than those three?

I will agree he won't be his best until he is on another team. A team like portland would be a nice fit. A young team in need of a SF to go along with Roy and Oden. In Atlanta he has to fight for minutes with chillz and probably Smoove next season if they bring in another big. I think he will be similiar to Boras Diaw when he left. Have a very good year or two and have people saying why did we trade him. But end up being no more than a role player on a team.

The player I think his career will end up like is Corey Maggette. Solid but not considered a top player in the league.

I just wish Marvin did about two of three of these highlights in one game. I know Marvin is designated by the Squawk as the third or fourth option, but truthfully, the 2nd option door has been open for 2 years for anyone on the Hawks who wanted to step up and walk through. I'm getting the feeling that Al will not be given 2nd option status, but take it in the long run.

Quote:

I think that it is telling that Marv's highlights are so few and far between that he had to get highlights from last year and the year before to fill out a mix.

I'm afraid you are right JB. Given a good center who would I give up?

I mean a really good center -all of them - JS/JC/Marvin. As D has said...the easiest position to fill is the 3. Stud Center - Stud PF (which we have) - solid 3 who can drive and shoot 3's - JJ - Bibby healthy for a whole year/Acie learning.

• Premium Member

First...I did not want Marvin Williams. I was pretty vocal about drafting a PG that year and specifically Chris Paul.

Secondly, I'm not going to get into what Marvin's future will be. However, I believe he has more to give than what he has shown. He has a good jump shot, he CAN shoot the three, he's got enough lift to finish in the lane, his handles are ok, and he's quick for his size.

Lastly, and this goes more to emphasize point #2, Marvin has been poorly coached in the NBA, he is hampered by Woodson's offensive ineptitude, and obviously doesn't understand what he needs to do to raise his level of play:

- he needs to work on his dribble

- he leaves his feet TOO QUICKLY on his moves to the basket (hurting his finish)

- he needs to learn to pump fake

- he needs to shoot the 3

Hate to deviate into a Mike Woodson fail tangent, but for all the things you can say about him...the guy has no idea what to do with our offense. Defense and rebounding is the key to get this team running and I agree with that. But you have to be able to adapt when A) you can't run and B) the defense gets back in transition. We have nothing in the half court. NOTHING. And I believe that as a result, just like Boris before him, Marvin is not being used properly...regardless of what he has to give.

Quote:

noob.gif

I agree cept I think he will have a better career then JJ and Smoove, but not Al and that's with or without the Hawks. I really don't like Baron Davis that much. I respect him and he is a elite talent but he's just too much mouth for me. He has had a fallout with every team he's played for and GS is build around him.

Quote:

Quote:

noob.gif

Smoove isn't more clumsy than Marvin sorry. So you think Marvin will be than Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Al Horford? I think you are crazy to say such a thing. Big Al will average a double double when he retires. JJ will be an all star the rest of his career, if not very close. Smoove will end up with the most blocks in Hawks history and continue to break history in that category. What does marvin do so well that makes you think he will be better than those three?

I will agree he won't be his best until he is on another team. A team like portland would be a nice fit. A young team in need of a SF to go along with Roy and Oden. In Atlanta he has to fight for minutes with chillz and probably Smoove next season if they bring in another big. I think he will be similiar to Boras Diaw when he left. Have a very good year or two and have people saying why did we trade him. But end up being no more than a role player on a team.

The player I think his career will end up like is Corey Maggette. Solid but not considered a top player in the league.

Marvin is only clumsy vs. great SF players and teams who play great team defense. Smith is clumsy period! JJ is just got to the 2rd tier of SG this season and it isn't a gurantee he's staying there either. Smoove is the black AK-47 with more potenial and less discipline.

Boris Diaw is a versitale player who needed to be in a system that best suited his needs. Marvin needs to be a system where he's comlementary player second to the star. Not the star or 3rd or 4th option.

I don't see how anyone can call Smoove clumsy. He sometimes plays outta control and dribbles the ball way too high. Also his small hands cause him to fumble the ball sometimes.

Marvin seriously seems like he needs to grow into his body. He can be graceful at times but his duck butt and long feet make him so clumsy looking that he can barely walk. However he is one of the most athletic players out there to have such good basketball skills. He still has the potential to be the best Hawk. He needs to hit the weights, that might get him more of what he needs. However, like others, I wonder whether he really has the mindset to be great. I'd trade him for a top5 pick or a good center.