• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Trial Date Set

Johann

Right around the corner, in 2009. Doesn't say much for my suspicions that the thing has been secretly settled.

I tend to agree with most of the things said in this article, including the fact that Phoenix bluffed BK out of Rondo, Diaw and the upcoming pick.

article

• Moderators

Quote:

I talkin about the ASG - Belkin trial. Set for Feb. I haven't seen this reported in Atlanta - it's the first news on this court proceeding in at least a year. Hello?

That is good news. I can't wait for some resolution here.

Regarding your settlement idea, the trial date is not a bad thing for settlement at all. In fact, both sides see what they have to lose a lot more clearly when the clock is ticking and settlement is frequently reached as trial gets close.

Well it was interesting to read a Boston/Belkin-centric take on the whole issue. The JJ trade still isn't decided. I have read reports strongly indicating that PHX would have matched and others saying that PHX got the better of the deal. In the end of things, PHX has gotten an overpaid Boris and the rights to move mid-to late 1st round picks around. The 15 pick this year would be nice to have for the Hawks, but honestly, how much younger can this team get?

Even if we had the 15 pick, IMO the Hawks should and would have used it to get a vet. Heck that pick may have been used to get Bibby instead of the 2nd round pick.

Here is my current take on the JJ deal. Atlanta is winning it so far. I hold judgement until I see what PHX does with that 15 pick as that could be a very good player for them. To me, Borris was not going to be anything for the Hawks no matter who was coaching him here. Borris really hasn't doen much for PHX except for that first season. The Rondo pick certainly hurts, but from all reports, BK tried like heck to get that pick back even offering a better package than what Boston offered but he was turned down. So, I am not completely sold on bashing BK for THAT particular move.

In the end if the JJ trade looks like it will net the Hawks and perinneal All-Star player, and rid the franchise of the devisive Belkin. I will take that.

• Moderators

Quote:

Well it was interesting to read a Boston/Belkin-centric take on the whole issue.

That is in an understatement. Do you like the way they phrased things?

Quote:

You may recall that this one started when Belkin raised an objection to the Hawks' rather hefty cost to secure Joe Johnson from the Suns.

Ummm...what?

Belkin "raised an objection" when he voted against the trade.

When he tried a hostile takeover of the franchise that went a little beyond an "objection."

When the Court ruled he had no right to do that it went a little went a little beyond an "objection."

etc. etc. I can't even type out the stream of events anymore. Too annoying.

Quote:

... In the end of things, PHX has gotten an overpaid Boris and the rights to move mid-to late 1st round picks around. The 15 pick this year would be nice to have for the Hawks, but honestly, how much younger can this team get? ...

Repeating myself from a few months back. It doesn't matter that PHX didn't do squat with the treasure we gave them...somebody got it other than us.

My analogy is a guy who likes his neighbors TV - he offers $2000 even though it is only worth $500. He pays the guy $2000 and the guy uses the $2000 for drugs and booze and pisses all the money away. So the guy spent $2000 for a $500 TV and when it's all said and done he still has the TV and the other guy has nothing because he spent his money on drugs and booze.

Does this make it a smart buy?...hell no...a smart buyer would have bought the same TV for the REAL price and have had - switching back to basketball - his draft picks.

Just because somebody seems to be dumber than you - doesn't make you smart. You may just be 2nd dumbest.

One reason why people say we lost in the trade isn't necessarily who we got or who Phoenix got in the trade, it is simply that many believe (including myself) that Phoenix would not have matched. That is the standpoint I take on why we lost the trade, if Phoenix doesn't match then we have lost absolutely nothing. However we decided to trade away assets and for something that is perceived to be at zero cost aside from salary cap space, that is why no matter who Phoenix picks or where they pick that make me say they won the trade.

I am also still baffled why the offer sheet for JJ was his contract. Why on earth did we not get him for an extra year or frontloaded his contract even more? That is still a mystery to me.

Great news. It is well past time to put this thing to bed, one way or the other. I've grown tired of having this particular millstone hanging around the neck of the franchise and weighing down the whole fricken works.

All I know is we dogged a bullet by winning the 3rd pick in last year's lottery. Just think Phoenix could have had Mike Conley Jr as the successor to Nash. There want be a franchise PG around with the 15thpick this year.

• Premium Member

I think BK did the right thing in making a trade. But he settled for WAY too much. Just imagine... Had we ended up with the 4th worst record last year and if we had a major injury this year to put us in the lottery - for a player that we may have been able to outright sign. That's laughable robbery.

Should have been AT LEAST top 10 protected picks...and only ONE of them at that.

Quote:

Quote:

I talkin about the ASG - Belkin trial. Set for Feb. I haven't seen this reported in Atlanta - it's the first news on this court proceeding in at least a year. Hello?

That is good news. I can't wait for some resolution here.

Regarding your settlement idea, the trial date is not a bad thing for settlement at all. In fact, both sides see what they have to lose a lot more clearly when the clock is ticking and settlement is frequently reached as trial gets close.

Agreed. Whatever the date, there will be a certain process that they go through, rulings, delays, whatever, but now that a date has been set this will all begin to play out. Like a chess match that has taken years.

• Moderators

I don't get that either. If it wasn't a sign and trade then what did we trade for? Seems like if phx doesn't sign JJ and trade him to us then we don't have to compensate them at all????

For all the back patting phx does about this trade look where the two teams are. first round exits. Except phx has two aging stars and assorted bad contracts and the hawks have 5 young quality players (+bibby who's reasonably young).

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't get that either. If it wasn't a sign and trade then what did we trade for?

It was a sign and trade. Phoenix got a trade exception as well out of the deal since they shipped out more salary than they took back.