• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interviewing Chris Grant

AnnArborHawk

I hope Chris gets an opportunity to be a general manager soon. He's a great guy and has worked his rear end off to get to where he is.

Interesting story about Chris Grant. He played college ball for Hank Egan at San Diego, where he was a teammate of Cavs head coach Mike Brown and Hawks assistant Dave Fizdale. When his playing career was finished at San Diego, Hank Egan made a phone call to Pete Babcock and convinced Pete to give Chris Grant an opportunity to do a summer internship. Pete had never had an intern before, but he agreed to do it. He hired Chris to work in the video department and paid him $6 an hour. Chris worked as an equipment manager just to make ends meet. Pete then hired him full time, and he worked his way up from being the video coordinator all the way up to being the assistant general manager under Billy Knight.

Quote:

I hope Chris gets an opportunity to be a general manager soon. He's a great guy and has worked his rear end off to get to where he is.

Interesting story about Chris Grant. He played college ball for Hank Egan at San Diego, where he was a teammate of Cavs head coach Mike Brown and Hawks assistant Dave Fizdale. When his playing career was finished at San Diego, Hank Egan made a phone call to Pete Babcock and convinced Pete to give Chris Grant an opportunity to do a summer internship. Pete had never had an intern before, but he agreed to do it. He hired Chris to work in the video department and paid him $6 an hour. Chris worked as an equipment manager just to make ends meet. Pete then hired him full time, and he worked his way up from being the video coordinator all the way up to being the assistant general manager under Billy Knight.

This is exactly the sort of guy that the Hawsk should NOT hire. He would be a figure head for Gearon. His resume looks too much like Thomas Dimitroff with the Falcons. We have seen where TD's supposed independence lead to in the draft (Ryan over Dorsey). Grant is that sort of guy. $10 says Grant is the new GM and that Gearon will be actually running the club.

• Premium Member

Quote:

It's good to want Christ to get an opportunity, just not with the Hawks. We need an experienced GM. One who knows how to put a team together, deal with agents, and make good trade and draft choices. If Chris worked for Babs and BK, he learned none of that.

Next

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'll take that bet, because Michael Gearon has no desire to be the GM of this club. Whoever is the GM will run the club as per the NBA guidelines of being a GM.

huepfenicon111.gif

Can you say Hook, Line and Sinker.

You are on.

Gearon is the defacto GM and has been for a while. The Calderon trade is a prime example of Gearon's meddling. Your assertion about not firing Woody has already been shown to be nieve at best.

I suggest, in HS tradition, that the loser covers his debt with a donation to HS since we all benefit form that.

• Moderators

Quote:

You are on.

Gearon is the defacto GM and has been for a while. The Calderon trade is a prime example of Gearon's meddling. Your assertion about not firing Woody has already been shown to be nieve at best.

I suggest, in HS tradition, that the loser covers his debt with a donation to HS since we all benefit form that.

What metric are you guys going to use to determine who wins the bet? Whether Woodson stays?

I just don't know how you can expose someone as a figurehead based on comments in the media or other public action. Thomas Dimitroff, for example, continues to go on the radio talking about how Ryan was his pick.

Quote:

Quote:

You are on.

What metric are you guys going to use to determine who wins the bet? Whether Woodson stays?

I just don't know how you can expose someone as a figurehead based on comments in the media or other public action. Thomas Dimitroff, for example, continues to go on the radio talking about how Ryan was his pick.

Yeah, the metric is messy and has too much wiggle room. I am just sick of the defense of Gearon when it looks very clear to me that his hands are stained with the bad decissions of the Hawks over the past year. I will have to think about how to create the correct metric.

In regards to TD, man I hoped that he would be a more independent thinker than what has been shown. But so far it looks a lot like what we had under McKay (who said he negotiated the contract with Ryan on the radio yesterday). Now that the Falcons have Ryan I want Ryan to prove us all wrong and be that HoF qb that wins us a SB, but its hard to get behind a guy that looks from the outside to have been a good but not great college qb.

Quote:

You are on.

This is garbage because all GM's need a sign off from their owners. Besides, what proof do we have that the Calderon trade was real?

Quote:

Quote:

It's good to want Christ to get an opportunity, just not with the Hawks. We need an experienced GM. One who knows how to put a team together, deal with agents, and make good trade and draft choices. If Chris worked for Babs and BK, he learned none of that.

Next

Here's the problem with going with an experienced GM. The ones that are available are available for a reason. Their record is stained. No GM is perfect, but the Hawks aren't going to be able to get someone like Geoff Petrie or RC Buford.

If you get an up and coming assistant GM, you get a guy that has a clean record and can attempt to build upon that clean record.

I'm game, and I'm willing to extend this to any candidate that is hired and not just Chris Grant. Whether it is John Gabriel, Dave Wohl, Tommy Sheppard, or Chris Grant, whoever is chosen will be the GM and not a puppet.

We just have to come up w/ a metric to measure it-

published reports are difficult to use as they may or not be based on fact

My mind is muddled right now as I have been going through a series of government regulartions for some research (if you want to get confused try to do some research inside the Federal system- the regulations are convoluted and contradictory). I should have some thought power by the morning.

In regards to your suggestion that available experienced candidates are tainted is just strange considering our mutual support of Fratello as coach. Fratello is just as tainted as an experienced GM. So, I don't get your argument. Anyone who works in sports is tainted as they have had failures and successes. An experienced GM, however, is much less likely to put up with meddling from the ownership. Shurholz is a great example. He only came to the Braves once Turner stepped away from day to day ops. Ted learned that owners sign paychecks, build stadiums, and hire people to make the decissions.

This is why I get so annoyed with the ASG when they refused BK on serveral issues: Al Harrington trade (though this might have been due to Belkin), Jose Calderon (this just makes me sick), and the Woodson. There are other areas that we all may or may not know of and it all adds up to a meddlesome ownership. Stuff on the Thrashers' side of the equation is even worse, by the by.

• Moderators

Both Frosgrim and KB agree that it is obvious that Woodson needs to go. That is probably the best way to measure the new GM's independence in terms of something tanglible and reasonably short-term. (No one will care to watch this situation for 4 years before figuring out who is pulling the strings). I think that is imperfect but your best bet.

Quote:

Both Frosgrim and KB agree that it is obvious that Woodson needs to go. That is probably the best way to measure the new GM's independence in terms of something tanglible and reasonably short-term. (No one will care to watch this situation for 4 years before figuring out who is pulling the strings). I think that is imperfect but your best bet.

Excellent idea.

So if Woodson is replaced by the new GM then the GM is independent and I pay 10 dollars to the site

If Woodson is retained, then the new GM is a puppet and KB owes the money.

Man I hope I end up paying!

• Premium Member

Quote:

Nice sig. BTW, Smoove & Bibby both shot less than 30% in the playoff losses, so I would add that to your sig too.

7 blocks or 12 assists in pivotal game 4 means a lot.