• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chris Grant the Lead Candidate now

khaos7

From another blog:

Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 pm Post subject: Some Hawks GM 411....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have been trying to get some info about the new Hawks GM since BK stepped down. And in the midst of "hush hush" nature the ASG has gone about it's search, I have finally managed to get some very good and reliable information to report to Hawks RealGM nation....

The buzz I am hearing....and word from a VERY relaible source is that Cavs Asst GM Chris Grant will most likely be hired very soon.

Now how soon?? It could be after Memorial Day or at the end of the month. But Grant is thought highly of by the ASG since his days here as an Asst. GM to BK. He has an extensive background in scouting, and was Director of Scouting before being promoted to Asst. GM by BK.

Also, Grant, 36, started with the Hawks in 1995 as a ball boy....worked his way to a video coordinator, and then to various scouting positions.

Barring any last minute...change of heart by the ASG, Chris Grant will be the guy!

You heard it here first.....

No doubt some insider info ? Wonder what the source is. Where is Sothron?

http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=792521

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's nice to look back at Danny Ferry's record with Grant as assistant GM and attempt to assess Grant's value in that manner, and convince yourself that we're targeting him because of that experience, but the bottom line is that the ASG has honed in on Chris Grant because they are very familiar with him as he spent nine years working in Atlanta.

I'm not saying he's a bad candidate and will do poorly as a GM, but that is the obvious conclusion as there were many other candidates, both experienced and up-and-coming, that were appealing, yet the ASG targets one who worked for them and our former GM. If he comes in and replaces Woody I will immediately be satisfied, but I think this hire raises the likelihood that Woody will return.... and I will once again be very concerned about the future of the Hawks....

Quote:

It's nice to look back at Danny Ferry's record with Grant as assistant GM and attempt to assess Grant's value in that manner, and convince yourself that we're targeting him because of that experience, but the bottom line is that the ASG has honed in on Chris Grant because they are very familiar with him as he spent nine years working in Atlanta.

I'm not saying he's a bad candidate and will do poorly as a GM, but that is the obvious conclusion as there were many other candidates, both experienced and up-and-coming, that were appealing, yet the ASG targets one who worked for them and our former GM. If he comes in and replaces Woody I will immediately be satisfied, but I think this hire raises the likelihood that Woody will return.... and I will once again be very concerned about the future of the Hawks....

And i don't think the ASG can afford to be rebuffed by GMs who turn us down. They can't afford that in the media. It's a safe pick and some ways wise, but in others . . . . . incestuous.

Quote:

according to this article, he hasn't made up his mind. Just a hunch...he'll turn the BASG down.

Only one candidate left? I agree that what's bad is, the inescapable conclusion that the other candidates already turned us down, though they (other than Lindsey) were generous enough not to do it publicly.

Quote:

It's not a scary thought that Chris Grant is the top guy. Chris is considered to be one of the top young future general managers in basketball. His name was being thrown around as a future general manager back when he was with the Hawks. His experience in Cleveland has only helped to broaden his career. Since Chris joined Danny Ferry and Lance Blanks in Cleveland, they have won 50, 50, and 45 games.

KB, noone can take your opinion seriously most of the time because it's always an opinion that is defending the organization..always...it's like you work for them or something...

in any case i don't like chris grant.....sure, i'm sure he is SUFFICIENT or is SERVICEABLE but IS HE THE BEST CANDIDATE OUT THERE? i'd say no, and isn't that the goal of the organization? to get the BEST candidate out there? same with the coach, wouldn't you be trying to get the BEST one out there?

at a critical time in our current situation, we need not to go out and hire GOOD ENOUGH..we need to hire the best.....i mean isn't this COMMON SENSE?

Quote:

Ben Wallace is junk. He hurts a team on offense now more than he helps on defense. He didn't help Chicago do jack and he doesn't help Cleveland either.

Detroit made Ben Wallace. He was perfect for their style. Take him out of that and what . . . he's much reduced in his effectiveness.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/

This kind of pub we don't need,

Hawks flying on the cheap

With so many pressing matters to consider, starting with coach Mike Woodson's status and Josh Smith's future, the Hawks need to hire a GM who has run a team and made franchise-altering decisions.

But true to form, the Hawks are going the cheap route and will hire a first-time GM, someone like former front-office employee Chris Grant, who has never called the shots and now is helping Danny Ferry in Cleveland.

According to league officials who have talked to Hawks ownership, they're turning the post into an "entry-level" position. Hiring Grant or Ernie Grunfeld's aide in Washington, Tommy Sheppard, will save the Hawks money, as they're expected to pay no more than $600,000 to $700,000 per year, making their new GM among the league's lowest-paid. But while saving millions, it doesn't look like the best way to handle their basketball business.

After taking Boston to Game 7 in the playoffs and generating some excitement among the locals for the first time in years, the Hawks risk what looks like a bright future by putting some huge decisions in the hands of someone who has never negotiated with an agent or had to determine the fate of a coach and lead a search for a new boss.

The Hawks won only 37 games in the regular season but took 66-win Boston to the limit in the first round, perhaps indicating that they badly underachieved from November through April. GM Billy Knight is out and his successor has to figure out whether to retain Woodson and how much to pay Smith, who had some monster games in the Boston series, along with deciding what to pay Josh Childress, who's also entering restricted free agency this summer. Plus, the new boss has to determine how best to address Mike Bibby's free agency in July 2009.

This is a crossroads offseason in Atlanta when too much can go wrong because a first-timer is calling the shots. But the Hawks' only contact with Billy King, a proven, capable GM, was by phone. Another ex-GM, John Gabriel, didn't get an interview, as was expected. When the Hawks have hired their new man, he'll earn much less than the majority of executives who run teams pocketing from $1.5 million to $5 million annually. That doesn't bode well for their future. ...

Quote:

According to league officials who have talked to Hawks ownership, they're turning the post into an "entry-level" position.

God, what an effing joke. I mean really, it's disgusting.

You hire a kid to work at Burger King, that's an 'entry-level' position. When hiring an NBA GM to try and pull a franchise out of the sludge, your primary concern is how cheaply you can get the guy to work for???? It's pathetic, really about enough to make a guy sick. Sh*t like this almost, almost makes me wish that Belkin would win, just because we deserve so much better than these fools at the ASG are giving us. But, I can't quite go that far to the dark-side, at least not yet.

Quote:

It's not a scary thought that Chris Grant is the top guy. Chris is considered to be one of the top young future general managers in basketball. His name was being thrown around as a future general manager back when he was with the Hawks. His experience in Cleveland has only helped to broaden his career. Since Chris joined Danny Ferry and Lance Blanks in Cleveland, they have won 50, 50, and 45 games.

They have won a decent amount of games because:

A.)They have Lebron.

B.)The East sucks.

What good moves have the Cavs made in the last 5 years?

Quote:

Did everyone else turn the ASG down

Yes.

I'm amazed anyone is willing to even consider taking this job. The owners are taking each other to court. Reports came out last season that the GM wasn't allowed to fire the coach. Bottom of the league payroll. Plus, it looks like they're not even going to let the new GM hire his own coach.

The only people who would ever consider touching this job are people who have no shot at any other GM position.

Welp,

This long, almost 2 decade run...as a Hawks Fan, may be coming to an end. If that article is true, about the cheapness of this organization....it's almost not worth this [censored] anymore. I love this team. And always will, but this crap...seems to never end. This almost gaurantees that Woody will be back. No other coach, would settle for the pennies....they'll be surely offering.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'm a little skeptical about anything coming out of a NY newspaper, but, if true, this may in fact be "it" for me as a fan.

I can't take this crap every summer.

How can we not take it seriously. Grant is the top candidate.

If this info is true about a new GM being an entry level job then what's new. The Hawk's finally got a little respect in the playoffs and insteado f hiring a big name or someone with a quality background the owners want to turn the Hawk's back into the Siberian Hawk's. Damn, no wonder no one respects the Hawk's always going the cheap route.

If this happens then I wish the league would step in and take ownership away from these yahoos and let a real owner come in that wants to win. Second rate GMs get second rate talent.