Joe Alexander 6-8 230 SF W.Virginia Jr.

Danilo Gallinari 6-10 220 SF Italy 1988

Nicolas Batum 6-8 210 SF France 1988

Chase Budinger 6-7 215 SF Arizona So.

C.Douglas-Roberts 6-7 200 SF Mem. Jr.

Brandon Rush 6-6 210 SF Kansas Jr.

Bill Walker 6-6 230 SG/SF K.State Fr.

James Gist 6-8 223 SF/PF Maryland Sr.

Just interested of how the board feels about this years class of SF and how they stack up against MW.

This is actually a fairly weak draft at the SF position. Depending on whether or not you think Beasley is a SF, I'd say that only 2 or 3 of those guys will ever amount to anything in the league.

Also, I think most consider Chris Douglas-Roberts to be a SG.

• Premium Member

I will say this... Even though he's undersized, I'm a Rush fan. The guy has a Paul Pierceness about him where he knows how to do everything.

I think Budinger will surprise many. This guy is competitive.

None above Marvin ...

but I like Rush as well, albeit most likely as a SG placed next to a PG that scores.

and Bill Walker too, also as a SG.

I'm intrigued by Gallinari at SF.

Will Anthony Randolph play SF? He's got talent ...

Best just hope Marvin extends his range. We need shooters.

Quote:

Anthony Randolph 6-10 200 SF LSU Fr.

Joe Alexander 6-8 230 SF W.Virginia Jr.

Danilo Gallinari 6-10 220 SF Italy 1988

Nicolas Batum 6-8 210 SF France 1988

Chase Budinger 6-7 215 SF Arizona So.

C.Douglas-Roberts 6-7 200 SF Mem. Jr.

Brandon Rush 6-6 210 SF Kansas Jr.

Bill Walker 6-6 230 SG/SF K.State Fr.

James Gist 6-8 223 SF/PF Maryland Sr.

Just interested of how the board feels about this years class of SF and how they stack up against MW.

None of them are as highly thought of as Marvin when he came out. I would rather compare Marvin to SF already in the league like:

Granger

Thortan

Durant

W. Chandler

J.Green

Deng

R.Gay

Nocioni

C.Butler

H.Turkoglu

etc.

Marvin is three years removed from being drafted and it is easier to compare his production and future potential with guys who have already played in NBA games.

The '03 draft was pretty deep at the SF position with Lebron, Carmelo, Josh Howard. You could also throw Diaw's name in there, too. Kapono, while not super talented, has a ring and still is in the league. The '04 draft was really deep at the SF position too. Josh Childress, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala (he's played SF for the sixers, I believe), and Josh Smith (has played SF for us). Last year's draft wasn't too bad either with Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Al Thornton, and Thaddeus Young. Rush is good, he might play SG as well.

The draft isn't really weak, I was wrong. It's just I have my doubts about foreign players making the transition to the NBA. This years SF crop compares well to last years, really. You've got your bonafide star (Beasley), a few do-it-all type SFs (Gallinari/Randolph), and a few scorers (Green). Who knows how these guys'll really turn out ?

• Premium Member

If Billy Walker hadn't torn his ACL as a Frosh in college, he would easily top the list. The guy was as explosive as they come. He's still a good athlete, but he was otherworldly before his injury.

Anthony Randolph 6-10 200 SF LSU Fr. - too raw

Joe Alexander 6-8 230 SF W.Virginia Jr. - saw this team play but he did not stand out

Danilo Gallinari 6-10 220 SF Italy 1988 - never seen (do we believe the hype ?)

Nicolas Batum 6-8 210 SF France 1988 - never seen

Chase Budinger 6-7 215 SF Arizona So. - think Luke Walton with a little more ability

C.Douglas-Roberts 6-7 200 SF Mem. Jr. - Stephen Jackson like scorer from any where

Brandon Rush 6-6 210 SF Kansas Jr. - I see the Paul Pierce comparison. However, Rush never dominated in college like Pierce did.

Bill Walker 6-6 230 SG/SF K.State Fr. - never seen

James Gist 6-8 223 SF/PF Maryland Sr. - could have a Josh Howard like suprise as a late first rounder.

First remember that Marvin is the same age as most of these players.

Marvin is a bigger and even stronger player then all these guys. In college he would now be playing alot at PF for sure. He game should grow in the post to take advantage of his length. (Marvin still needs strength and all the above guys will find out how much strength it takes soon enough.) He will never have the ball handles as these 6'6'' and 6'7'' guys.. ..His game off the dribble will never be more than T. Prince (6'9'') like. He is naturally a 2nd or 3rd option on offense that can play within a system and off his teamates while still being able to take his man one on one a few times a night. Marvin can be a good starter for a good team but will never be the best player on a good team. His game still needs ALOT of fine tuning. From foot work, to handles, to strength to finishing better after contact, and extending his range to the 3 pt line. If he does these things he will be an allstar. Does he have the desire and work ethic to do these things is the question. We know this, if Marvin does not work extra hard on his game before his first contract year we know the desire and heart many of think is lacking in Marvin truely would be.

Time for Marvin to take another step.

• Premium Member

If MW needs a "contract" year to get his game together, we have a serious problem. We don't need a Mark Blount/ Eric Dampier type of player on this team. Those guys only produce during their contract years. But I don't believe that Marv is that type of player, so that doesn't really matter anyway. But I do hope that he can be more of an impact player than he has been so far. BTW, check out Billy Walker on Youtube before you say that Marv is "stronger" than any of the SF prospects coming out this year. The kid's a beast!