• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why not this trade?

HawksBalla

Baron Davis would be sick, but I wouldn't do it. We're just giving up way too much for a guy that is a serious injury risk like Davis. He missed 19 games two years ago, 28 games the year before that, 38 games the year before that, 15 games the year before that, 32 games the year before that.....well, you get the picture. His overall history has been that he gets hurt and is very likely to spend a significant portion of the season unable to play.

We can't afford to take on a player with that kind of element of risk IMO, no matter how good he might be or how nice it would be to have him. Look at how Speedy's contract has crippled us due to his constant injuries, and he makes peanuts compared to Baron Davis.

That's about as high risk/high reward as they come, meaning our ownership would never do it.

I'd seriously consider it tho. He'd be basically the perfect pg for our team, and next to JJ, that legitimately would be the nastiest backcourt in the league. Both are big, great defenders, elite shooters and creators, etc.

But, if we are going the risk/reward route, I still like TJ Ford a bit better. Smaller contract and less trade value means we dont have to take on as much risk, but we still have the possible reward of getting a perfect pg for our team. Both Baron and TJ would be good for Acie to develop behind as well.

Bibby/Marvin for BDiddy/Azubuike, where do I sign?

Davis/Law

Johnson/Childress

Azubuike/Childress

Smith/Anderson/Jones

Horford/Zaza

I don't think GS does it, though. I started Azubuike just b/c Childress seems to have a place off the bench. That team still needs a veteran PG/shooter off the bench and a veteran big man.

despite Baron Davis being better than Bibby I still wanna see what Bibby can do with this team when he is 100% healthy..i think he can be a big part of this team's success. but if he flops, I would consider that trade come deadline time if BD is still available though

1. The ASG would not be taking on salary because Marvin and Bibby actually combine to make more than Baron, and all expire after this season... GS wouldn't get cap relief out of this trade either, they would just get 2 inferior players and lose the guy who puts people in seats to take a one year flier on Marvin and see if he's worth a L-T deal...

2. Baron's name is coming up because he has the option to terminate his contract.... he probably won't because he's making $18M next year but he wants a LT deal and they're negotiating..... if they can't come to terms he probably wants an extension/S&T to a better team rather than to come to ATL and do the same thing he's doing in GS, unless someone overpays him which the ASG won't do...

• Premium Member

Where is the risk??

BDiddy didn't miss games this past year.

Sure he's had injury history, but he's been pretty good here recently.

Plus if the filler is somebody like Azubike....or one of their Sfs... where's the risk?

I think it's a win.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Marvin, Bibby

FOR

Baron Davis, Filler.

Golden State gets two players that are good fits for their system, cap relief in a year to sign Monta long-term. Hawks get the second scorer and star, all-star pg and a perfect mentor to Law.

My question would be "what level has Baron Davis brought the Warriors to?"

To me they are a bunch of run and gunners in Oakland that would give any player great stats but maybe no substance.

Quote:

To me they are a bunch of run and gunners in Oakland that would give any player great stats but maybe no substance.

Baron Davis is one of the top players in this league. It is extremely difficult to win big in the western conference. He did help them beat Dallas as an 8 seed. They followed that up with a 48 win season and didn't even make the playoffs. If you want the answer for thier style of play blame Don Nelson not the players. Baron plus a filler makes more of an impact than two spot up jump shooters in Marvin and Bibby.

Quote:

Baron Davis has consistently been one of the top PGs in this league. He, like JJ, can score any way he wants too. He is also a great facilitator who just happened to play a lot of SG this year due to the rise of Monta Ellis. He would make our team SO much better, because he's a much better PG than Bibby. It's not even close. I actually think next year, Bibby is going to find a way to get hurt and play like trash for extended periods of time. Why not trade him and Marvin for a star player and veteran leader. (two things that Joe has been asking for since...forever)

I truly believe that the addition of Baron Davis alone could transform us into one of the most entertaining and exciting teams in the NBA, especially when we're able to dictate the pace and get out there and run, run, run. Davis definitely has that 'It' factor, we're talking some serious star quality there. He would instantly make us better and maybe even a true contender in the East.

But there's that damn injury history, and you just can't look past that like it's invisible or something. And what dig said above is true. It's up to Davis to determine his future. He can opt-out and become a free agent, or he can pick up his option for 18 million to stay in Golden State next year. The Warriors want him back. Davis and/or his agent were making some noise recently about wanting to opt-out and test free agency (with NY being a possible destination), but they've since stepped back from that and now are saying Davis might want to stay. And if it's all about the money, then he should probably stay in GS- cause no one else out there is going to pay him 18 million bucks next season. But maybe there are other factors involved. Who knows?

Quote:

The only difference between Baron Davis and Marbury is 2 inches and a beard. He puts up big stats but it translates into little results. If he was so great he'd still be pg of the Hornets.

You have to be kidding me. Marbury is a quiter with no heart. Baron plays with a passion for the game Stephon has never had. Baron had the Charlotte Hornets in the playoffs and would be a sure fire Hall of Famer if it wasn't for injuries. Don't compare competitors to players who think about going to italy in the middle of an NBA season.

The only way Baron Davis comes to ATL is if we give him a contract extension that other, better teams are reluctant to provide given his injury risk.... Do you see the ASG doing that?

He would prefer to stay in Golden State and he's a West Coast guy, so would only leave if he got tons of $$ or went to a better situation. The Warriors won't trade his existing contract as they'd rather keep him for the season (vs., say, Bibby) and if they need to his expiring can be moved before the deadline...

Quote:

The only way Baron Davis comes to ATL is if we give him a contract extension that other, better teams are reluctant to provide given his injury risk.... Do you see the ASG doing that?

He would prefer to stay in Golden State and he's a West Coast guy, so would only leave if he got tons of $$ or went to a better situation. The Warriors won't trade his existing contract as they'd rather keep him for the season (vs., say, Bibby) and if they need to his expiring can be moved before the deadline...

I do believe Baron wants to stay in Golden State and on the west coast but if the Warriors contract talks don't go well then he may want to leave the organization. The warriors did a bad job of managing there players contracts with Biedrens,Baron and Ellis all needing extensions. Baron is only an example of the calibur of player this team needs.

Of course I don't believe ASG will want to spend money but if they continue to make bad moves the fans they do have will get turned off. Not by the team but by the people who are running it. I wonder could the Hawks make a run at Melo and Camby instead of New Jersey:

Bibby,Marvin,Speedy(salary cap reasons if neccessary),ZaZa

for

Melo and Camby

Don't know if that will beat New Jerseys offer of Jefferson,Marcus Williams and the 10th pick but it is worth a shot.