• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

790 said it the best!!

Wurider05

Chuck Oliver made a comment the the only type of people the Hawks hire are the ones that have no other options. That hit it right on the head. I don't remember anyone beating down the door to get Woody. No one else was going to pay JJ the kind of money we offered (not tha t that is a bad thing). No decent coach or gm would touch this place with a ten foot pole. They have to do something that changes the image of this franchise. That will attract better candidates. We got turned down by a damn gopher from Cleveland. Sund may turn out to be decent but they got him to be average. His goal will probably be to obtain as many rookie contracts as possible.

I agree with that assessment other than the fact that there are different views on who turned down what.....some sources say that Grant's agent put that out. Either way, I think this hire is exactly what most everyone is thinking/saying. He won't be a distraction to ASG because he'll be moving at Gearon's pace.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Chuck Oliver made a comment the the only type of people the Hawks hire are the ones that have no other options.

All depends on what one WANTS to believe.

There are published reports that Sund was a viable candidate for other GM jobs, most recentlyl the Knicks, but also in Milwaukee.

What's more, one may not want to acknowledge that there is a numbers game aspect to it all... there's only 30 such positions, and only a trickle of those come open in the course of any given year, so one would have to be a little disingenuous to ignore the point that anyone who is a GM candidate is not going to have very many options... that Sund was mentioned in connection with three in the space of one month is actually fairly complimentary, not the other way around.

Quote:

I don't remember anyone beating down the door to get Woody.

To the contrary, there were published reports that Woody had been a viable candidate for jobs in Toronto and Philly prior to taking the Hawks job. To the contrary, as is often the case, being the top assistant to a championship team led by someone of Larry Brown's ilk made Woodson a very popular name that off-season.

Quote:

No one else was going to pay JJ the kind of money we offered (not tha t that is a bad thing).

Oh.... some credit to BK for recognizing JJ's true worth?

(..._sturt_ said rhetorically...)

Quote:

We got turned down by a damn gopher from Cleveland.

Turned down? According to.... ????