• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sund interview indicates Woody may be gone

emorywjs

Hawks.com: Fairly or not, former GM Billy Knight was often characterized in the media as wanted to build a squad of multidimensional 6-8 players. Is there a particular style of ball or talent you prefer?

RS: I don’t think so. I think your talent dictates your style. The coaches who have been successful in the league over the years are the ones who adapt to the talent they have and get the best out of that talent. Pat Riley had Showtime when he was in LA, but had much more defensive-minded teams in New York and Miami. It’s not like he came in and said. “This is how I want to play.” He adapted to the talent he had to work with. Jerry Sloan is the same way in Utah – he played one way with Stockton and Malone, and now he plays a completely different style with Carlos Boozer and Deron Williams.

I’m not looking to have a particular type of style. I want us to accumulate good basketball players who are capable of playing a number of ways, and then we’ll use that talent to the best of their abilities in whichever way will be most successful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To find a coach that can adapt to talent. Woody is just the opposite, always trying to impose HIS style to players. If Sund sticks to his principle, Woody should be gone.

He's making more sense in the first week he's been on board than BK did in years. Either BK didn't talk to the media or he had assinine comments. Sunds comments give me hope that he will make rational decisions, utilze the talent we have and hopefully make adjustment. Something that Woody hardly ever did.

Quote:

I'm no bb genious or anything and will probably sound iggnorant with this post, but I thought Utah ran pretty much the same plays they have always ran. I remember Stockton taking DW under his wing during the off season a few years ago and teachin him up.

Am I wrong?

DW and Boozer still run the pick and roll as JS and KM did. While those 2 parts are very similar (but not as good) the other 3 parts are very different.

1. Brewer is the polar opposite of Jeff Hornececk (Sp?). Jeff excelled at comimng off screens for catch and shoots and at mid range floaters. Brewer is simply a slasher and nothing more.

2. Eaton / Ostertag are polar opposites of Okur. Rugged defensive bigs to a finess jump shooting big.

3. Thurl Baily, Shannon Anderson, and Byron Russell were more prototypical SFs who could score in a wide virety of ways in the half court. AK47 is simply an enigma and tweener that nornally changes games on the defensive end rather then the offensive end.

Quote:

I read that earlier and I thought this post would be BS before I opened but u may be right.and it's obvious everybody says we're better when we runbut we rarely do.

Its funny how this is such a common theme on thise site.

I thought the Hawks finished 4th in the entire NBA in fastbreak points while they gave up the 16th most points. Its hard to run off made baskets is it not ? Yet they still managed to be 4th in fast break points with subpar PGs. Once we got a good PG he got hurt and played crippled.

Not too bad considering AJ and Lue were were "running" the break fro 2/3 of the season.

So what offense do you run without a proven post scorer and with only one consisitent perimeter threat on offense for the first 2/3 of the season ? Its so easy to flame Woody when one lacks the ability to realistically evaluate a situation where 3 starters where 21 -22 and the PGs were bums for the first 55 games or so of the season.

Funny how once the players got better the actual play on the court improved.....(as Horford and Smith matured and Bibby became healthy).

Quote:

Quote:

I read that earlier and I thought this post would be BS before I opened but u may be right.and it's obvious everybody says we're better when we runbut we rarely do.

I thought the Hawks finished 4th in the entire NBA in fastbreak points while they gave up the 16th most points. Its hard to run off made baskets is it not ? Yet they still managed to be 4th in fast break points with subpar PGs. Once we got a good PG he got hurt and played crippled.

Not too bad considering AJ and Lue were were "running" the break fro 2/3 of the season.

So what offense do you run without a proven post scorer and with only one consisitent perimeter threat on offense for the first 2/3 of the season ? I watch games not stats.I know we don't run as much as we should.Josh SMith is repsonsible for alot of it for not giving it to the PG because he knows they'll slow down.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

So what offense do you run without a proven post scorer and with only one consisitent perimeter threat on offense for the first 2/3 of the season ? I watch games not stats.I know we don't run as much as we should.Josh SMith is repsonsible for alot of it for not giving it to the PG because he knows they'll slow down.

Then you should know that you can't run off made baskets.

Where Woodson deserves some scorn is the half court offense. That is where the we are over matched. Being realistic and fair you have to note that the main blame for our poor half court offensive struggles were due to the lack of a post scorer and the lack of consisitent perimeter shooters to open the floor for the slashers. Our young and raw players were just not polished enough to execute half court offense vs. veteran teams. At 21 and 22 they are still polishing both their interior and perimeter games. Then once Bibby came all of the sudden we started scoring alot more points. That, to me, is all the proof I need to see that the offensive struggles were much more due to lack of quality players then coaching.

People say run JJ off screens more. Well, he runs off double and triple screens all night along if you had paid attention when you watched.

Seems people are so shallow here. You just love the simple answer.

Whats the problem with the Hawks ? Many say its just Woodson b/c your too lazy to think and come up with more then a one word answer.

At least I try to come with rational remedies instead of just hoisting stones.

In January I was promoting the AAKAA offense the Memphis Tigers ran for us to use as a primary half court philosophy. It is far from a perfect system but it can be run without a dominant post presence. Our roster was not polished yet to execute traditional half court sets at winning level.... not b/c of lack of coaching but b/c of lack of post scoring and perimeter shooters.

• Premium Member

That last comment was very telling. I think that it is safe to assume that either Woodson is about to be "instructed" to adjust his gameplan or he is about to be fired. Either way, I don't see us holding on to Woodson very long. I mean really...how much longer could we really expect to keep this guy???

...and for the love of GOD why would we even consider it?

Why?

Quote:

Seems people are so shallow here. you just love the simple answer.

What the problem with the Hawks ? Many say its just say Woodson b/c your too lazy to think and come up with more then one word answer.

I couldn't agree with you more there. To be fair though I think most of the people you are referring to are very young and naive, although that's still not a good excuse for it.