• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

From new blog, woody's prob the coach......

diamond_dave

Hawks general manager Rick Sund and coach Mike Woodson are still in the formative stages of their relationship. They’re still trying to get through the first few days. After speaking with Sund last week and with Woodson earlier this afternoon, it’s clear to me that the first priority for both sides is to come to some sort of agreement on how to proceed with Woodson as coach. But nothing appears set in stone just yet.

(Sund is also meeting with players and other staffers regularly since coming to town and is doing a rather thorough job of kicking over every rock to gain access to every bit of information he can about this team before making any official decisions. Having spoken with players and agents in the past seven days, they all seem to be impressed with his line of questioning and his forthright approach to the entire process.)

link

I'm speechless, but I don't have the inside info that Sund has so I have to go with what he says...........

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I saw that last night during the game. To be honest with the way things have been reported lately I wont believe anything till I see a guy at a press conferance for the Hawks coaching job. Sekou rarely gives bad info BUT the Hawks may have a Mr. X just like they did in the gm hunt.

One thing I learn a long time ago and it was proven again with the GM hunt. Do not listen to anyone outside of Sekou when it comes to the Hawks info. Espn were made fools of and then they go around passing out info that Grant rejected the Hawks. Trying to save their sorry tails once again by making the Hawks look bad.

Quote:

One thing I learn a long time ago and it was proven again with the GM hunt. Do not listen to anyone outside of Sekou when it comes to the Hawks info. Espn were made fools of and then they go around passing out info that Grant rejected the Hawks. Trying to save their sorry tails once again by making the Hawks look bad.

This is Sekou....

but he was wrong on the GM too

• Moderators

Quote:

yeah i'm not sure what he really meant anyway.I don't take it as Sund's already said he wants Woody to stay.

I agree. That is pretty vague and could easily mean they are deciding whether or not to keep Woodson and then moving from there.

yeah,Woody is a horrible coach in all aspects and what makes it worse is he never takes any blame but is quick to put it on the players or even the GM,he'd put it on a fan sitting behind him,hell he'd put blame on his mom before he took any blame for dumb stuff he did.

Funny, because I took that as meaning that Sund was offering a contract that was shorter in length than what Woody is looking to receive. For example, Sund offered a 1 year deal with a team option in Year 2 and Woody wanted at least 2 years guaranteed. I think that under a 1 year guaranteed deal, Sund will give Woody the chance to audition next season, I just don't think that he wants to be tied down for too long.

Supposedly, BK walked after being offered only a 1 year extension, they may be pursuing the same with Woody.

The ones who may really be screwed by this waiting game are the assistant coaches. There aren't a lot of staff needing to be filled.. who will bring our legendary big man coach, Alton Lister, on board?

Woody makes plenty of mistakes but he takes blame for the teams failures equally as much as he does their successes. I have heard Woody say countless times that "x" failure was on him.

If you want to say that Woody shouldn't be coach for his mistakes then fine, but don't make up stuff like he doesn't accept responsibility for their failures.

Quote:

Woody makes plenty of mistakes but he takes blame for the teams failures equally as much as he does their successes. I have heard Woody say countless times that "x" failure was on him.

If you want to say that Woody shouldn't be coach for his mistakes then fine, but don't make up stuff like he doesn't accept responsibility for their failures.

I pretty much agree with this, Dolfan. One thing I've noticed about Woody and something he should receive credit for is that he generally doesn't throw his players under the bus publicly (and there are coaches that *do* do that, and I think those guys are lame as hell). Now privately, I believe he does throw his players under the bus in a sense by not allowing them to play if they've displeased him for some reason- Salim being a perfect example of that. Now that's a lousy trait in itself, but at least he's not publicly ripping his guys in the papers, at least not to my knowledge.

Yeah that's how I see it as well. I don't think it does anyone any good to be sent to the bench for such extended periods of time, unless you just really don't think they can help you win and if it's win or get the player some PT and lose, winning has to be more important. I don't think we have any bench player that can't contribute in some fashion so that's definitely an issue that Woody needs to work on, whether it's here or someplace else.

He should get a lot of credit for not throwing his guys (or his assistant coaches) under the bus publicly though.

• Moderators

Woodson has made it clear in the press that he doesn't think he has had enough talent to win more than 37 games to date. I guess it depends on your perspective whether he is laying blame for the results on his players or just being realistic. Other than saying he doesn't have the talent to break even, I agree he hasn't thrown people under the bus. That is a significant proviso, however, in my opinion.

I don't take that as an attack on the players or any player in particular, which is what I was referring to, but I take that as him making a point to management that they haven't given him the pieces he needs to be successful.

• Moderators

Quote:

I don't take that as an attack on the players or any player in particular, which is what I was referring to, but I take that as him making a point to management that they haven't given him the pieces he needs to be successful.

I don't think it is an attack on the players by any means. I view it more as focusing blame on the players for underacheiving last season. I don't think Woodon is attacking them so much as deflecting criticism.

Quote:

Grant did reject the Hawks.

Quote:

I agree with that. I'm really not a fan of Mike Woodson as a coach, but I do respect him for never placing the blame upon his players.

well my definition is different than y'alls.When he calls repeated Joe iso's that don't work and trying to run out the clock with 8 minutes to go and his dumb susbstitutes and keeping people on the bench and pulling hot players,I don't remember him saying that he should have went to something else.He says stuff like what he called just wasn't excecuted.I call that dodging heat.U believe different OK, but I don't.He was saying youth isn't an excuse anymore than he brought it up when we were fighting for our lives at the end.Then another time he was saying "what talent do we have".Some might remember that from the AJC a couple months back but for the love of god I can't seem to find it. and "Throwing under the bus" is totally different and I never said that.

Q. Did the Hawks really get turned down by both Dennis Lindsey and Chris Grant? Z. No. Lindsey never even had a formal interview. Grant, meanwhile, was close to getting the job but negotiations broke down before a contract could be agreed upon. It’s disingenuous for either man to say that they turned the Hawks down, because it simply is not true.

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl..._and_rumor.html

Q. But so many people believe what they read about both Grant and Lindsey turning the job down. Isn’t that yet another black eye for the Hawks? Z. Look, people choose to believe nonsense all the time. I’ll admit it’s fun to believe the hype sometimes. Few of us can resist. But try and think about this thing logically. No other team has seen fit to make either Mr. Grant or Mr. Lindsey a general manager, so the Hawks’ decision to go in another direction isn’t really so radical. They could both turn out to be very good GM’s some day. But until then, we’ll never know. Lindsey’s been a candidate before elsewhere. But Grant wouldn’t get an interview for a GM job anywhere else. The only reason he made the Hawks’ list is because of his history with the franchise. Keep it real.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with that. I'm really not a fan of Mike Woodson as a coach, but I do respect him for never placing the blame upon his players.

Almost always his excuse --> "They're too young" " We don't got talents"