• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Fizdale rejoins Heat as assistant coach

Cwell

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3442278

MIAMI -- The Miami Heat hired David Fizdale as an assistant coach Friday, bringing the 34-year-old back to where he began his NBA career.

Fizdale was an assistant in the Heat video room during the 1997-98 season -- starting in almost the same position that new Heat head coach Erik Spoelstra did 13 years ago. He spent the past five seasons as an assistant with Golden State and Atlanta.

"He has proven to be a great teacher and has helped develop a number of young players in his 10 years of coaching on the professional and collegiate level," Spoelstra said. "Additionally, his belief and familiarity with our culture is an added bonus."

Fizdale has also worked as an assistant coach at Fresno State and the University of San Diego, his alma mater.

Tough loss for the Hawks. Man, that sucks !

Fizdale was by far my favorite assistant on team. He had alot of energy and the players seemed to really respect him. (Had no idea he was only 34 either).

The Cavs came after him last year and the Heat get him this year. Sounds like he is respected around the league.

I don't care if Drew leaves.............Fizdale I really liked.

Doesn't shock me.

At least it opens a spot on the bench. I'd hope we could fill that with somebody (Anybody?!) who could teach Woody something about offensive basketball.

Larry Drew tried to get out last year to be closer to his family in California, but he might be open to staying now that his son will be playing up the road at UNC next year. I'd like Drew to stay. It always seemed that he had a close relationship with Marvin and Acie.

Quote:

I'd like Drew to stay. It always seemed that he had a close relationship with Marvin and Acie.

I don't know if this is true but I heard Drew was in charge of the PG spot and focused on offense.

I have never been too happy with our PG spot or how Law was handled. Then we got Bibby to improve the PG spot but he basically coached himself.

From my understanding of last year's team, and if you don't mind putting things into football terms, Drew was our "offensive coordinator" while Fizdale handled the defense. Lister worked with the bigs, Bender with the guards.

Drew was originally brought in as a "player development" coach. I'd rather have him in that capacity and bring in a true offensive coach. Woody at least understand defense...but he's clueless on offense.

Quote:

what if we tried Steve Smith to see what he has as some type of coach?He could def. help Woody handle things because he knows this team better than Woody does,which is very sad.

This just amazes me. How do you conclude that anyone "knows" better than Woody?

It is the typical fan reaction. When you are losing, no one in the organization knows what they are doing. The grass is always greener on the other side. That is the typical fan mentality. I see this with every team I support. For example, at Mississippi State, we have had a legendary baseball coach for 30 years in Ron Polk. Because of one losing season.....the only one of his career......a lot of MSU fans have forgotten that Ron Polk is the all time winningest coach in SEC history.

I'm not comparing Mike Woodson to Ron Polk by any means. Mike isn't a great coach, but he also isn't the completely inept coach that a lot of fans on this board want to make him out to be. In the NBA, they players are far more responsible for winning and losing than the coach is.

What happens with the other assistants may be a good gauge of what has happened behind the scenes with ASG and Sund. If Sund has any decision making authority, this is likely an oximoron, or just a talking head. If they all head for other teams it would indicate their lack of confidence in Woody getting two years,.