• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do YOU expect out of Josh Smith next year

DavidSomerset

I want to see:

1) far fewer long jumpers

2) fewer attempts at being a playmaker (especially on the break) and more focus on finishing inside.

3) I want to see him more patient inside, trying to outmanuever bigger players instead of taking quick shots over them.

Quote:

I want to see:

1) far fewer long jumpers

2) fewer attempts at being a playmaker (especially on the break) and more focus on finishing inside.

3) I want to see him more patient inside, trying to outmanuever bigger players instead of taking quick shots over them.

I agree. In essence, just an improvement in BBIQ. With that everything else in his game improves.

The one physical skill I would like to see is a crab dribble that he can use to back guys down on the post with. He gets someone into the low block, he can use that dribble to set up an explosive leap to the basket.

• Moderators

I think you're right. There is a good chance he explodes. This is where I'm not happy with Woody. I think a well designed offense could turn Smoove into an All Star by getting him the ball closer to the basket where he go to work. Him getting the ball at the top of the key or 3 point line over and over again is a problem.

Smoove has incredible physical gifts but sometimes he tries to make a spectacular play when a simple play will do. If he can learn to make the high percentage play most of the time, I think he will be well on his way to becoming an All Star player in this league.

Actually, I don't have a problem with him being a playmaker on the break IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. In fact, I think Woody COACHES him, Horford AND Marvin to push the ball up the court if the get the rebound in certain situations. Where Smoove needs to improve is recognizing WHEN to do that and when to give the ball to the PG. Horford does it about right and Marvin needs to do it more.

Quote:

Smoove has incredible physical gifts but sometimes he tries to make a spectacular play when a simple play will do. If he can learn to make the high percentage play most of the time, I think he will be well on his way to becoming an All Star player in this league.

Yeah. I keep waiting for him to show signs of better judgement but i haven't seen it yet.

Quote:

Actually, I don't have a problem with him being a playmaker on the break IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS. In fact, I think Woody COACHES him, Horford AND Marvin to push the ball up the court if the get the rebound in certain situations. Where Smoove needs to improve is recognizing WHEN to do that and when to give the ball to the PG. Horford does it about right and Marvin needs to do it more

My pet peeve with him on the break is that he will frequently throw last second passes that wind up being turnovers when he has a clear lane to the basket.

I think Josh Smith needs to progress his game to the point where he can fully take advantage of his physical gifts. He needs to improve his shot, but it is more important for him to improve his handles. If he improves his handles, his playmaking ability will get better. His turnovers will also go down. He's going to have to be aggressive whenever he's in the post, and offensively he's got to handle contact better. He's doesn't have a bad free throw %, but he needs to improve it next year. Josh Smith will be getting much more attention next year, and if he makes a big leap from last year, he'll make an All-Star game.

Projected Stats:

20 points (48% FG), 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 2 TO.

Josh needs to continue working on his jump shot during the offseason and become a legit threat from the 3 point line. His post game could use a little refining and I'm sure that another summer of working on that and he can become an All Star next season.

Quote:

Josh needs to continue working on his jump shot during the offseason and become a legit threat from the 3 point line. His post game could use a little refining and I'm sure that another summer of working on that and he can become an All Star next season.

At this point I'd be thrilled if he could work his jumper to the point where it was, "something other than a liability from midrange". 3pt. threat just doesn't seem realistic to me, hopefully I'm dead wrong.

His post game was looking decent this year, he definitely has some work to do still but the improvement from the season before was absolutely huge.

The turnovers seemed to go down a little once Bibby got integrated, over the last two months of the season his TOs dropped down to a little over 2 a game. I'm not sure if that is a statistical anomoly but I think the Bibby theory makes sense (just as Bibby's garbage-ness in the playoffs was reflected in an increase in TOs as other guys tried to make up for him as a playmaker).

I'd hope his shot selection and shooting percentage go up, it seems like we could have run a lot more pick and rolls for Josh/Al with Bibby. We'd run a whole bunch in one game to pretty good success and then not go back to it for games. That would keep Smith away from the perimeter and give him some high percentage looks.

My thought is that Chillz and Smith should never be on the court together if we are going to slow it down and be in the half-court. Chillz is less of a perimeter player at this point than anyone on the team and when he's in the game it makes it hard for anyone to penetrate which keeps Smith out on the perimeter for the kickout jumper from Joe's postup at the FT line.

Anyway, my point is that the TOs should go down because of Bibby and the FG% should go up. If we found a way to put Smith on the baseline or the high post in the half court, Smith's FG% would go up even more because he wouldn't take those long 2s and he'd be getting more offensive rebounds.

On defense, hell, just hope for more of the same.

Quote:

The turnovers seemed to go down a little once Bibby got integrated, over the last two months of the season his TOs dropped down to a little over 2 a game. I'm not sure if that is a statistical anomoly but I think the Bibby theory makes sense (just as Bibby's garbage-ness in the playoffs was reflected in an increase in TOs as other guys tried to make up for him as a playmaker).

Bibby handled the ball more than AJ and Lue. He cut back on his full court sprints, and gave the ball up more.