• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Solomon Jones

shock

With no draft picks this year, and limited money (I assume) after the signings of the Joshs, I hope that Solo is working hard this offseason to try and become "the big" that we need on this team. Granted, I am a big fan of his and want him to succeed with the team, so that may blind me to what his potential might actually be. Hopefully he is working with an assistant coach and hitting the weights. I think he would make a good tandem with Horford at PF.

I think people underrate Solo on this board, personally. While he has his limitations (questionable basketball IQ, hands like feet, feet like bricks) he is certainly long and athletic. He's pretty quick off his feet for a guy his size, too. I certainly think he could develop into a better player than Zaza; he showed flashes in the Celtics series.

He's not going to be the big we need, however. He should naturally play the 4 because he gets abused by bigger posts. He is not strong enough or big enough to guard 5's in the league. Problem there is we already have a logjam building at 4 (where Horf should play, and many on this board feel Smooth should also spend a lot of time at the 4).

Agreed! I love what I saw from him in the playoff series. I think that he and Zaza can play some minutes together as they help to cover each others weaknesses. Zaza is a little more skilled offensively and Solo is much more skilled defensively. If you have Solo and Smoove on the floor at the same time the opposition really has to think twice about putting up shots in the paint. I hope he spends this offseason bulking up a bit and really shows us something in the summer league.

Quote:

I hope he spends this offseason bulking up a bit and really shows us something in the summer league.

Agreed. Solo is the same height as Amare, but his listed playing weight is about 20 lbs lighter than Amare's.

Not trying to compare their games, obv, just trying to show that by adding some muscle (albeit quite a bit) Solo can be an effective post presence.

It's hard to believe that Solo is only 20 lbs lighter than Amare but Solo does look like he has gotten a little thicker since we drafted him. He's certainly not as powerful as Amare and definitely doesn't have his hands but he certainly has quickness, agility, hops, and great timing.

Solo needs Barry Bonds trainer, that should help.

In all seriousness. I hope the guy builds on what he did in the playoffs. I, however, am ALWAYS skeptical of relying on players that have a good playoff series and then projecting that to future work. Sports is littered with guys who do well in a series and then completely bomb the rest of their careers.

If Solo can come in and be that defensive/shot blocking/rebounding center we need, then great. If I was Sund, however, I wouldn't count on it.

Again, I think expecting him to play center is unreasonable. I would argue that Solo had previously shown flashes of being a solid post player, before the Boston series. Woody was just reluctant to go to him.

I thought Woody getting guys like AC and Solo spot minutes in that series was a complete 180 from his approach down the stretch in the regular season, and it proved effective in the home games.

I think he could play center if he put on about 10 or 15 pounds. He has very long arms, I believe he's got like a 7'2" wingspan. He's just got to put in th work to become much better than what he is now. His focus should be becoming a consistent post defender and solid rebounder. I think he could contribute if he has a big off-season.

Quote:

I think he could play center if he put on about 10 or 15 pounds.

Maybe, but he would also have to get a lot stronger too. A lot of people throw around "putting on 10 or 15 pounds" like you just eat some hamburgers and lift some weights and bang, 15 pounds of rock-hard muscle.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but for some guys (Childress and Solo) their frames just dont take on weight like that. I'm sure the first thing the Hawks staff said when they saw those 2 was that they need to put on some weight. They have both had a few years to do so, and while there have been some gains, I think it is a lot to ask to put on 15 pounds in one offseason, considering body type.

Maybe we should enlist Jose Canseco as "Team Chemist"

Quote:

Quote:

I think he could play center if he put on about 10 or 15 pounds.

Maybe, but he would also have to get a lot stronger too. A lot of people throw around "putting on 10 or 15 pounds" like you just eat some hamburgers and lift some weights and bang, 15 pounds of rock-hard muscle.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but for some guys (Childress and Solo) their frames just dont take on weight like that. I'm sure the first thing the Hawks staff said when they saw those 2 was that they need to put on some weight. They have both had a few years to do so, and while there have been some gains, I think it is a lot to ask to put on 15 pounds in one offseason, considering body type.

Maybe we should enlist Jose Canseco as "Team Chemist"

You're right. Some players can't put on weight like that. As he gets older, though, he'll get bigger anyways. I'm still going to hope he can eat some cheeseburgers, lift some eights, and get 15 pounds muscle. We need him to.

im one that believes Solo Jones can be an effective player if given the right amount playing time on the right team. He needs to play for a run and gun team kind of like the Suns or Hawks..he doesnt have the best BBIQ but he is athletic and long and can finish at the rim..I think he can be better than Zaza is for us now if used the proper way..I also hope he is working hard on his game too