• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Draft Night Trade Possiblity?

A-town Hawks

Draft Night coming up thursday and I thought we should have some fun with possible trade ideas that pertain to the draft. Here my idea, feel free to give your feedback.

Hawks Trade: Marvin Williams, Mike Bibby

for

Nets Trade: Richard Jefferson, Trenton Hassel, #10 pick

Then with the #10 pick we draft: PG DJ Augustin from Texas

Our line-up 08 (Joshes signed):

Horford/Zaza/Jones

Smith/Horford/Zaza

Jefferson/Hassel

J.Johnson/ Chillz

Law IV vs Augustin

This line-up would is posied for a deep playoff run, with Jefferson bringing everything Marvin was supposed to have and more. RJ brings a efficient and dependable 2nd scoring option behind JJ every night as well as being a good perimeter defender and shooter. Then with the selection of DJ Augustin, to battle Law for that starting PG position it would amke great competition between them both and both of them will get better because of it. We let them battle it out in training camp and in the summer league and whoever comes out on top is our starter. Hopefully if they both pan out very well in a few years, we can have a two guard offense like Toronto ran with Ford/Calderon. Hassel brings more vet leadership, depth, and can be our poor mans bruce bowen off the bench.

Would you do this trade as a hawk fan?

Do you think NJ does it, knowing how they want to have capspace for 2010, and this trade provides that?

Who would you select at #10 if you dont like augustin?

I like the idea of Richard Jefferson but I'd take out Bibby and the #10.

Marvin/Speedy/Solomon for RJ works in the trade checker. New Jersey is rebuilding and I think Marvin would be enticing for them to run with Devin Harris. I hate giving up on Marvin but I feel like he'll command more money next year than I'm willing to give. Especially considering a contract that we give to Smith (which I support) and anything we have to throw at Horford/Joe the following year. We HOPE Marvin one day averages 20+ ppg, can shoot the 3 and play defense. RJ already does all of that. And that is playing next to Vince Carter. This trade gives NJ some financial flexibility I would assume. If Speedy retires, they might save a few million as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whether it is draft night or in February, I want to get some sort of value for Bibby before we lose him for nothing. I'm not a huge fan of his and, although he helped us make the playoffs, I don't see him as that great of a fit.

Rick sund on Fox sports radio tonight said the Hawks will not be trading into the draft and if he had the 15th pick he would trade. He doesn't want anymore 19-20 year old players. he's looking for cheap veteran players to fill out the 9, 10, 11 slots on the team. Said after re-signing the two Joshes, he wants a veteran shooter and two veteran front court players. Loves Al Horford and says he is the perfect 5 player who can play four. Isn't worried that Horford can't guard Yao or Howard by himself because no one can.

Well that is a very telling statement that he believes Al is a 5. That sounds great for the future of the team as long as he is successful keeping Josh Smith.

I wonder who he might look at as a veteran shooter and 2 veteran bigs.

Quote:

Rick sund on Fox sports radio tonight said the Hawks will not be trading into the draft and if he had the 15th pick he would trade. He doesn't want anymore 19-20 year old players. he's looking for cheap veteran players to fill out the 9, 10, 11 slots on the team. Said after re-signing the two Joshes, he wants a veteran shooter and two veteran front court players. Loves Al Horford and says he is the perfect 5 player who can play four. Isn't worried that Horford can't guard Yao or Howard by himself because no one can.

Can somebody copy and paste this and start a Rick Sund said on fox sports thread with it. This is alot of good info that is hidden by this thread title. I would do it if I knew how.

Quote:

Well that is a very telling statement that he believes Al is a 5. That sounds great for the future of the team as long as he is successful keeping Josh Smith.

I wonder who he might look at as a veteran shooter and 2 veteran bigs.

He didn't give up any names but said he wants Veterans who will be leaders and who don't need to play for a lot of money but want to play for the love of the game. I am sure we can get some bangers and bruisers to do that but a good outside shooter I'm not so sure. They tend to be expensive.

I would like to see Brian Skinner here as the physical post body we need. I have always been impressed with his tough, workmanlike approach. He has also occasionally shown a decent offensive post game at times. There are alot of reasonably priced guys who fit this bill that are free agents, to-wit: Skinner, Elson, Foyle, Pollard, DJ Mbenga, even Deke, etc.

Quote:

This is not surprising and hopefully it's good news. More and more it's apparent that he's a puppet.

Quote:

There are alot of reasonably priced guys who fit this bill that are free agents, to-wit: Skinner, Elson, Foyle, Pollard, DJ Mbenga, even Deke, etc.

I agree. I'll add Jackie Butler and even Kwame Brown to that list (for the right price).

For the shooter I like Ricky Davis, James Jones, Juan Dixon, JR Smith or Gerald Green.

If we could do a Marvin for Jefferson deal, I'd be all over that. I'm assuming we'd have to throw in some filler in order to make the trade work financially, but Jefferson would be just what the Dr. ordered for this team. We'd still need a big who plays good interior D and some help for JJ, so Jefferson obviously wouldn't be everything we'd need, but he sure would help.

I wouldn't trade Bibby just yet either. There's certainly no rush to trade him- as a very large expiring contract, his value should be just as high if not even higher (assuming he's playing really, really well) at the trade deadline than it is now. And he's valuable to us, as we can't just assume that Law is going to be able to take over at PG. Bibby offers great insurance in case Acie isn't ready yet, so IMO he's worth hanging onto for awhile till we see how things work out.

Quote:

Quote:

There are alot of reasonably priced guys who fit this bill that are free agents, to-wit: Skinner, Elson, Foyle, Pollard, DJ Mbenga, even Deke, etc.

I agree. I'll add Jackie Butler and even Kwame Brown to that list (for the right price).

For the shooter I like Ricky Davis, James Jones, Juan Dixon, JR Smith or Gerald Green.

I've always wanted us to land Butler even when he went undrafted. But he's been out of the NBA due to his attitude, poor work ethic? Hope he's learned something and is ready to come back and get serious. Would love to see him suit up for us.

Davis isn't going to be cheap at all. Sund's comment "for the love of the game and not money" doesn't apply to Davis quite yet. He's still too young. And all the other players you mention are VERY young. That's not the kind of players that Sund is going to look to acquire. Jones will cost $4+, since he's opting out of a $3+ contract now, Smith is going to look to get paid as well, and Green is looking just to lock on to a team. He might be signable to fill out the roster, but not for the shooter we are looking for. We need a cheap veteran.

Start thinking about veterans like Tyronn Lue (this would not surprise me at the least), Eric Piatkowski, Casey Jacobsen, Kareem Rush, possibly even Brent Barry, if SA doesn't want him back. Each of these guys could probably be had for under $1.5M, which is probably the range Sund is thinking. Everybody else would cost more.

For bigs, think Jamaal MaGloire, Scott Pollard, Theo Ratliff, Earl Barron, Jake Voshkul, Michael Doleac, Sean Marks, Brian Skinner, and Francisco Elson. Outside shot at Kurt Thomas, but I think he goes back to SA for a couple million.

Diop and Brown are possibilities, but I feel somebody will throw bad money at them.

Quote:

I like the idea of Richard Jefferson but I'd take out Bibby and the #10.

Marvin/Speedy/Solomon for RJ works in the trade checker. New Jersey is rebuilding and I think Marvin would be enticing for them to run with Devin Harris. I hate giving up on Marvin but I feel like he'll command more money next year than I'm willing to give. Especially considering a contract that we give to Smith (which I support) and anything we have to throw at Horford/Joe the following year. We HOPE Marvin one day averages 20+ ppg, can shoot the 3 and play defense. RJ already does all of that. And that is playing next to Vince Carter. This trade gives NJ some financial flexibility I would assume. If Speedy retires, they might save a few million as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whether it is draft night or in February, I want to get some sort of value for Bibby before we lose him for nothing. I'm not a huge fan of his and, although he helped us make the playoffs, I don't see him as that great of a fit.

Where's the bench?

Quote:

Quote:

Just say NO to Ricky Davis. I suffered through enough of that guy when he was in Boston. Talk about a chemestry killer, that's Ricky Davis. Dude is all about himself. Has some of the worst shot selection you'll ever see. He'll take on four guys while shooters are sitting wide open. Plus, I can't see him getting along at all with Woodson- that would be a match made in Hell. Can't say how much I would HATE to have Ricky Davis on the Hawks.