• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel's draft day trade of the Day.

Diesel

his team's players and who overvalues players on other teams. You ACKNOWLEDGE that Prince is a role player but you want to glorify it by deeming him the "perfect role player." Whatever! Prince is a good, not great, player who is primarily successful because of the talent around him.

You think Marvin wouldn't be successful starting in DET in place of Prince? Please! Having a PG who actually knows how to run an offense and having other VETERAN players who can score would make Marvin's life much easier.

As for Marvin's role on this team, it is still evolving. He may yet progress to the point where he is the legit 2nd option in the offense on a nightly basis. He already is the 2nd option at times per Woody. He is also the guy who does the best job of getting to the line and knocking down his FTs. He also is one of our better man to man defenders even if he is not the defender that Prince is.

As for Prince's D, yes, he IS a better defender than Marvin but Marvin is a solid defender in his own right who will get better as he gets stronger. Marvin already gets more steals than Prince and he already rebounds better than Prince. It is doubtful that he becomes the defender that Prince is because he will be a better offensive player but his D will be good going forward.

Prince was a better player than Marvin last year and he MIGHT be this coming year but I am not so sure that will be the case. At any rate, I think Marvin is going to be the better player in the very near future.

Hopefully, what Marvin will do if his J is not falling is find ways to get to the rim and either finish or get fouled. Hopefully, he will rebound and defend even when his shot doesn't fall. That is the next step in his progression from average to good player.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

for being. I posted this in another post but only ONCE last year was Marvin given 20 shots and in that ONE game he put up 33 points on 60% shooting. He also went for 20 or more points on 19 occasions over 80 games and had a lot more games where he was within a point or two of 20. I honestly think if he had enough shots he could have been a 20/6 guy this year which is pretty damn good for a 21 year old SF.

Quote:

for being. I posted this in another post but only ONCE last year was Marvin given 20 shots and in that ONE game he put up 33 points on 60% shooting. He also went for 20 or more points on 19 occasions over 80 games and had a lot more games where he was within a point or two of 20. I honestly think if he had enough shots he could have been a 20/6 guy this year which is pretty damn good for a 21 year old SF.

Given? That's his major problem. He isn't aggressive enough. Our team's not good enough offensively to have to be "given" shots. If he want's them and makes them I gurantee you even our subpar coach would let him have them.

It's not about the coach, it's about the other players on the floor. In that game they actually looked to get Marvin the ball. I mentioned this during the season and others noticed that Josh Smith in particular avoids passing to Marvin sometimes. The bottom line is that it's difficult to get up 20 shots as the 3rd option when you have JJ and Smoove shooting 40 times between them.

Quote:

It's not about the coach, it's about the other players on the floor. In that game they actually looked to get Marvin the ball. I mentioned this during the season and others noticed that Josh Smith in particular avoids passing to Marvin sometimes. The bottom line is that it's difficult to get up 20 shots as the 3rd option when you have JJ and Smoove shooting 40 times between them.

Good point. I will admit I didn't see that particular game but it does seem that Marvin quite frequently looses agressivness on the offensive end. I'm sure it's a combination of players, coach and Marv. Unfortunatly we have to stick with one of them so if we're sticking with the coach and the other players then Marv is the odd man out. I don't hate Marv or anything but if we're going to continue down the same path with the coach and other players then we have to get players in here that might do something positive with them.

Quote:

no the pistons drafted darko because they figured they could take on a project (darko) because they were set at the SF position. it was obvious melo would be a baller, but they thought they had a young baller at SF, so they took the project.

Prince could never dream of being the offensive threat just as Melo could never dream of being the defensive threat Prince is. It was a perfect match him and the Pistons so looking back is worthless at this point. It was Prince who ran down reggie in the playoffs and it was Prince who made Kobe take bad shot after bad shot in the finals. Dumars knew what he was doing and it worked(not talking about picking Darko over Melo). They won a title, lost the next season and have been to the eastern conference finals every year since(except this year). Melo is a star but he also is a ball hog and not known for his defense. He wouldn't have fit it with that group as much as you may think because he would want more shots.

Quote:

you used the olympic team to back up your argument, i'm just saying JJ isn't on the team, is prince better than JJ, obviously no. so prince being on the olympic team isn't a valid argument to why we should trade marvin for prince. the olympic team has an agenda. btw i don't think marvin would be a bad addition to the olympic team, they need people to hit mid range jumpers. i still have memories of richard jefferson, hitting the side of the backboard multiple times on open mid range jumpers.

I see you brought JJ into the conversation to make Prince look like a player who shouldn't be on the olympic team. This isn't about JJ and we all know he is better than Prince. If you have a problem with JJ not being on the team then you should compare him to the other GUARDS that are on that team. Redd, Wade, D Will come to mind. Just like the Pistons the olympic team was put together so every player will have a role. Prince role on the team will be to play the 3 and the 4. He was named to the team because he has world class defense and he can be versatile in the international game with his length. Him being on the team didn't effect JJ status because they would serve two different purposes for that team.

So now you think Marvin is worthy to be on the olympic team. He would be behind D.Granger, K.Durant, K.Martin, A. Thortan, R.Gay,B.Roy just to name a few off the top of my head.

Let me set you straight why Marvin wouldn't be the best addition to that team. The international teams packed it in against Iverson, RJ, LO and the rest of that team. So where Marvin sets up for that mid range J he would be defended. Once those A.I and company set foot behind the three point line they were allowed to shoot. Much like teams let Smoove shoot the trey. Now if Marvin doesn't take treys in the league what makes you think he would on the biggest stage he would have ever been on. True the line is closer in but he still isn't consistent enough to be on a team of that calibur.

Quote:

Prince was a better player than Marvin last year and he MIGHT be this coming year but I am not so sure that will be the case. At any rate, I think Marvin is going to be the better player in the very near future.

I'm glad you said this line. When comparing players it may sound sometimes that you are dismissing one player and glorifying the other. I don't feel Prince is an all star but I do know he could help us more next season than Marvin could. He is an already mature player who is more of a given than Marvin who is the master of "only if he", "he has the potential to", "his teammates are holding him back", and "he has a great looking shot". I've got news for you people, all that stuff does not win basketball games for you in the NBA. You need players who have been through the battles of the playoffs and who can turn it on in crunch time.

If the Hawks re sign Smoove and chillz I can't see them re uping Marvin. Not with JJ and Horford coming up so fast for extensions. So if the Pistons would take Speedy and Marvin for Prince that is a no brainer. Maybe a change of scenary can bring out the player all of you see Marvin being.

I personally see him as a Glenn Robinson type of player. When his career is over he ends up with a nice average(just like Glenn). But he never ended up the game changer everyone expected him to be. Just like Glenn Marvin has a sweet J but also just like Glenn him being drafted in the top 2 warrants him being more than just a great shooter.