Clippers resign Maggette

mrhonline

• Premium Member

http://www.nba.com/clippers/news/clippers_...tte_030729.html

In reply to:

Maggette Remains A Clipper

Posted: July 29th, 2003

Corey Maggette will continue to thrill STAPLES Center for years to come.

The Clippers are proud to announce the re-signing of forward Corey Maggette.

The club matched an offer presented by the Utah Jazz, thereby re-signing the restricted free agent to a multi-year contract. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

“Through consistent hard work and effort, Corey has improved his game each year he has been in the league, and there is no reason to believe he won’t continue to get even better,” said Clippers Vice President of Basketball Operations Elgin Baylor. “We’re really glad that he will be back for the long term.”

A 6’6” high-flyer out of Duke University, Maggette registered his finest season during the 2002-03 campaign, averaging 16.8 points, 5.0 rebounds and 31.3 minutes in 64 games played. Maggette ranked second on the team in scoring, increasing his scoring average by 5.4 points per game over his previous year’s average.

“I am very excited about the opportunity to coach Corey,” stated Clippers Head Coach Mike Dunleavy. “Obviously, I have followed him closely since his days at Duke. He has done a terrific job of developing his all around game and I look forward to being a part of his continued development.”

The four-year veteran has tallied 11.5 points, 4.2 rebounds and 23.3 minutes over his career. Maggette has also converted 1,027-2,259 FG (.455) and 127-383 3FG (.332) in 273 career games played.

• Premium Member

I'm still pushing...

Theo for Odom/Wilcox.

It makes a lot of sense on everybody's part... They need a C that's ready to play now. I can't say that Kaman is ready now.

We need a compliment to Terry if we resign him for 9.17 million per...

Theo is a PF who plays Big.

For a C, I say we go after Kevin Willis and for this year we play Willis/Wilcox/ And Nazr.

If this fails, there are a lot of Big Men in the draft. Okafur for one. Howard is another and the big man out of China.

But I like the core of:

JT/Odom/SAR.....

JT/DJ/Odom/SAR/Willis.

I doesnt make sense from the Clippers side. They used the 8th pick, I believe, on Wilcox just last year. They knew he was a project, and he hasnt done anything to make them think he doesn't still have a bright future. Elton Brand is a shotblocking presense, I believe he averaged 2.5 a game last year. They used a high first rounder on Kaman this year, center from Central Michigan. They drafted Melvin Ely last year with the 13th pick and he can play the 4 or the 5. Im a big fan of Ely. I dont see them trading for Theo, nor do I see a big need for a center.

but the Clippers are spending all of this money (Brand/Maggette) and might be spending a bunch on Odom, next year resign Richardson, then Dooling, then Wilcox/Ely. Ratliff would give them an all-star quality C for 2 years while Ely develops. This will give them a veteran which they need to anchor the young defense. I think Dunleavy wouldn't mind Ratliff either. I'm definitely up for this trade as long as Odom has his head on straight. We are in a rebuilding mode and, I know this isn't an actual rumor, but if we were able to get this sort of talent for Ratliff, we'd have to do it. I'd definitely sign Kevin Willis and maybe Tahj Holden or some veteran if we were to move Ratliff to make sure we have plenty of big bodies.

JT/Dickau

(DG or DJ)/Hansen

Odom/Diaw

SAR/Wilcox/Hendu

Nazr/Willis/Holden

I'm game...

• Premium Member

four things....

1. If they don't SNT Odom, they will probably lose him for nothing. His qualifying offer is ~4.4 million. He wants in the range of 8-9. The Clipps aren't going to pay that.

2. All those guys you mentioned will be free agents one day. I'm surprised Maggette is signed (matched). What that really means is that they will have to get rid of one of those Pf/C. Ely/Wilcox play the same position. BUT with Brand Locked up, I don't think Sterling with keep and Pay both.... Especially after he has Dooling, Richardson, Jaric to resign.

3. Have you ever seen Kaman play? He's a big man, but he's like Big Country. Bryant Reeves was good at Ok State. But in the pros, he was too slow to be effective. When you put Jaric, Richardson, Maggette, and Brand on the floor... Kaman is really too slow to run with these guys. BUT.... Theo is a good match. Theo is actually a good match for Brand too. Brand is a strong enough defender that Theo can play his backside assistance. They will be a frontcourt that is good defensively.

4. I agree about Ely being able to run the C.... But Ely is still young. I think Theo is the player that can bridge the gap. Then in 2 years when Theo's contract is up, Ely would be ready to step in full time, in the meantime, Sterling could use Theo's value to upgrade his situation.

It's a win for LAC... Especially considering that Miami and Utah will come after Odom Next and I don't believe Sterling wants to match another big deal.

while i dont necessarily agree with ur trade... i do agree that Ratliff would compliment Brand + the Clippers very well.

Brand scores 18.5 ppg + 11.3 rpg. He got the scoring and rebounding covered for Ratliff. Ratliff just needs to play his game and block shots. Ratliff is athletic and quick enough to run with the Clippers.

I don't think anyone can say whether or not they'll match for Odom if he gets a big offer. Here's what we know:

-Every year D Sterling lets all his good players go so he can get cheaper younger players and be a losing but very profitable machine

-In a complete shocker, this year they've re-signed every player so far, apparently because they made promises to Dunleavy before he signed

so I wouldn't be too shocked either way.

Also I think Kaman will be more valuable than you think, he's nowhere near as slow as big country (not that that says much...)

• Premium Member

I disagree big time about Captain Kaman. I watched CMU play a few times. He's a big fish in a small pond. I think when you get down to it, Bryant Reeves may have been better. Kaman will definitely be too slow to run with LAC. I also think that LAC would love to trade for Theo because Dunleavy is coaching.

will they pay Theo that much? If the Clips don't want to pay Odom, I'm sure that they can do a deal with a team like Miami, Denver or Utah who are under the cap and take back a smaller salary. If they do a sign and trade with us, the salaries have to match or WE have to take back the player with the smaller salary. Trading for Odom forTheo makes no sense for them but hey, if they want to do it, I'm game.

The following info regarding the Chicago Pre Draft combine was taken from the Insider report that Weaseldom posts daily:

"Lane Agility: Wisconsin's Penney led the field with a time of 10.44 seconds. Wade (10.56), Jason Gardner (10.66), and Jameer Nelson (10.66) also had great scores in the drill.

Among the top prospects taking the test: Wade had the best score at 10.56 second. Howard finsished at 10.89 seconds. Hinrich recorded a time of 10.98. Ridnour was 11. Darko finished with 11.3. Kaman had 11.33. Anthony clocked in at 11.4. Ford was 11.45. Collison was 11.62. Bosh was 11.8. Cook had 11.87. West was 12.18. Sweetney was 12.9. Podkolzine finished at 13.4.

3/4 Court Sprint: Penney again led the field with a time of 3.04 seconds. Bell finished second at 3.06, Weber State's Jermaine Boyette finished third at 3.07 and Wade and Utah's Britton Johnson finsished with 3.07.

Among the top prospects taking the test: Wade had the best score at 3.08 seconds. Howard finished with 3.09 seconds. Hinrich had 3.1. Anthony was 3.15. Ford was 3.2. Collison and Sweetney were clocked at 3.28. Bosh was 3.3. Darko was 3.36. Kaman was 3.37. West was 3.43. Cook was 3.45. Podkolzine finished at 3.8."

Kaman showed more agility in the lane than top prospects such as Anthony, Ford, Bosh, Collison, Cook, Sweetney and West. Darko only beat him by 3 hundreths of a second.

Kaman was faster in the 3/4 court sprint than West and Cook and he was only one hundredth of a second slower than Darko and 7 hundreths of a second slower than Bosh.

Kaman also displayed a vertical leap of better than 30 inches and did well in the bench press. He is clearly a much better athlete than Big Country and he'll fit in with the Clips running game at least as well as Olowokandi did, probably better.

• Premium Member

If you have been paying attention at all.

Clips did sign Odom to a qualifying offer worth about 4.4 million. I have stated we try to get a SNT of Odom with Wilcox (2.2 Million) That's about 6.6 Million of their current Salary and to reach Theo it's only about 4 more million. I think LAC would do that... Simply because Theo gives them a legitimate C and a Legitimate shot at making a run to the playoffs. Something they don't get from Ely or Kaman and something they won't get if Odom walks and LAC gets nothing.

Particularly when you are talking about 2 guys making the $6.6 million versus one making the $10 million. Personally, I don't think Theo is worth Odom and Wilcox and I doubt the Clippers do either. As for the Clips not getting anything for Odom, nonsense. I'm sure that Miami, Denver or SLC will give them something just to not match the deal. For instance, if I were Riley, I'd give them Wade not to match. If I were the Jazz, I'd give them Harpring not to match. If I were Denver, I'd give them Rodney White and a protected #1 pick not to match. That way, the Clips get CHEAP players and/or picks and Odom gets paid.

• Premium Member

I see it a little differently.

I think Riley will not offer a thing. I think Riley really wanted Brand. I think that he's going to put his funding together to get Odom as soon as he finds a C that can play beside Grant..... i.e. a trade of Jones. I think Wade will be used to help in the Jones trade Maybe to Memphis for Swift/Knight/Lo.

Wouldn't that be scary:

Knight/Odom/Butler/Grant/Lo...

he hasn't signed that qual. offer? do you know what one is? if we did the trade with that contract - a ) I don't think he can be traded using teh last year of the qualifying offer, and b) he's an unrestricted fa if he can be used in a snt

he wants and is worth more than that