Updates from Sekou's "sources."

mrhonline

• Premium Member

AJC Blog: Match Point

First, Josh Smith:

Quote:

So I called an executive from another team I know and asked him what he thought of this deal and if everyone was putting way too much stock in Philly’s recruiting pitch and not enough in the nuts and bolts of this process and he put on his professor’s hat.

“The bottom line in all of this is the Hawks can match that offer,” he said. “I don’t know if they will. Everything I’ve seen and heard says they will. But you never know until the situation comes up. But they do have that right to match on their side and that’s a powerful weapon when you’re talking about restricted free agents. That’s why you only see a few teams that dive publicly into situations with these restricted free agents. What you don’t see is all the teams working behind the scenes to try and worm their way in there and see if they can’t get in on the action. If the Hawks don’t match and want to try and massage a sign-and-trade deal to keep from losing him outright, there will be a line of teams ready to do business. Since no one will know the exact numbers for the salary cap [and thus the actual figures that can be offered to free agents] until next July 8th, I don’t expect this thing to come a head until then. But that’s when it should be clear to everybody how this thing plays out.”

Second, Josh Childress:

Quote:

As many as eight different teams have contacted the Hawks about sign-and-trade deals for Childress, per one of my best spies who insists that there are several Western Conference playoff teams desperate to add Childress to their mix (his exact words were that they “need an athletic younger guy who can play without the ball and come off of their bench and give them a boost.”).

That’s nearly a third of the league that’s interested in acquiring one of your players, which should be a clear indicator of that player’s value around the league.

• Premium Member

New Orleans would be stupid NOT to pursue Childress. He's a perfect fit.

I've been saying for months that the Hawks could really benefit from a Childress S&T. Package him with Pachulia, and you could meet up to three needs.

I would luv chillz to sign an offer sheet with the Spurs since they only offer thier MLE. IT would make it to easy for the Hawks to match. The trouble re signing him may come from the clippers and warriors. Since he is a west coast guy and they have money to spend right now.

Quote:

New Orleans would be stupid NOT to pursue Childress. He's a perfect fit.

I've been saying for months that the Hawks could really benefit from a Childress S&T. Package him with Pachulia, and you could meet up to three needs.

It is amazing as other teams point out a guys value and some right here cant see the value.

Sign Chillz, bump the La La.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I wonder how much interest is there for Marvin?

There will be just as many teams interested in Marvin, you can be sure. But that won't happen until next year, when there will be many teams with cap space.

Signing Marvin to an extension this offseason is a major priority.

Quote:

But they do have that right to match on their side and that’s a powerful weapon when you’re talking about restricted free agents.
That’s why you only see a few teams that dive publicly into situations with these restricted free agents.

Exactly

Quote:

As many as eight different teams have contacted the Hawks about sign-and-trade deals for Childress, per one of my best spies who insists that there are several Western Conference playoff teams desperate to add Childress to their mix

That is definitely good news. I think Childress would fit far better somewhere else than he does here.

If he played on a team with a lot of shooters that would open up the lane for him a lot.

Quote:

Quote:

If he played on a team with a lot of shooters that would open up the lane for him a lot.

Agreed, and if you re-sign him, you take away your ability to add shooters around him.

Yep, I am a critic of Childress but not because I don't think he is immensely talented in many ways. I just don't think he is a good fit with our more talented (or in Al's case, potential-filled) players.

I believe that you find "talent-core", in our case Joe, JoshS, Al and build around them. Chil is good, other teams see that and might be willing to give us similarly talented players that fit better.

I think Chil could be excellent for a team like Toronto, Dallas, SanAn, Boston, New Orleans, or Golden State because they all have bigs (or in GS's case, "bigs") who can create space inside for a guy like Josh.

Quote:

I'd love to pry away Hilton Armstrong from New Orleans.

I also wonder if any team would be willing to take Claxton along with Childress...

The Hornets are not satisfied with their back up big men now you want to trade for one? That doesn't make any sense to me. My co worker is from the NO and he just told me the other day how they need help behind Chandler and West. I used to want Hilton as well until I watched him in a few games and realized he wasn't tough enough down low. He kind of reminded me of a taller Shelden with more athletism.

Chillz doesn't fit on this team?The guy is one of the best sixth men in the league. He is apart of a young athletic team who is coached by a guy who has not used his talent properly. The fact he still gets his numbers and still progressed is not something to gloss over.

I would much rather keep chillz and trade Marvin if possible.

• Premium Member

I am sure that Chillz for Josh Howard is a consideration.

Howard's admission will get him shipped out of Dallas.

I think another thought is Chillz for Battier.

Houston would probably like to get a younger efficiency player in place of Battier.

I've heard a lot of people talking about New Orleans, but I don't see it.

They have Morris Peterson and Julian Wright. Peterson is a good compliment and Wright is still young. They also look to resign Pargo.

When you say Young, you have to think of San Antonio. They are old men. However, they have nothing to trade. unless they want to give up Bowen + ????

I think what could become a big possibility is LAL... The Lakers would love to get Chillz. Without a STRONG PF, Chillz is a great guy who can go down low and get the big grabs. They'd probably be willing to take Speedy..

Here's how I see it:

Chillz & Speedy for LaMar Odom.

If you ever want to talk about clearing capspace... Odom, Bibby = -30 next year.

Kobe gets a speedy wing who can run with him and collect garbage.

Then there's also Radman for Chillz. The question is do you like Radman that much?

Quote:

Quote:

I wonder how much interest is there for Marvin?

There will be just as many teams interested in Marvin, you can be sure. But that won't happen until next year, when there will be many teams with cap space.

Signing Marvin to an extension this offseason is a major priority. no it's not.Marvin isn't even staying in Atlanta.