• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's the LAC deal you would take for JS?

Guest Walter

Guest Walter

I'd package JS/ZaZa/future (2010) 1st for Kaman. You don't get 16/13/3 for nothing and it would even out our roster. Any chance LAC and Elgin Baylor make another mistake this offseason?

W

Quote:

Quote:

Earlier I proposed:

Smoove (SNT), Zaza for Kaman, Knight, 1st (2009 or 2010).

thats the biggest pipe dream on earth and everyone laughed at it.

diesel, everyone knows you can type. can you read? are you oblivious or ignorant?

oh yeah, both.

A newcomer with balls.

D. tends to be a scapegoat around here . . . . . but he brings most of it on himself.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I'd package JS/ZaZa/future (2010) 1st for Kaman. You don't get 16/13/3 for nothing and it would even out our roster. Any chance LAC and Elgin Baylor make another mistake this offseason?

W

Kaman's valuable, but that's overpaying, and by quite a bit. ZaZa's value is enhanced at the moment by his contract status. Kaman's stock is somewhat depressed because of his recent back (as I recall) problems that have prompted the Clips to be less than enthusiastic about Kaman playing for German in the Olympics.

Smoove and ZaZa alone should get that deal done, if it were to happen. But the Clips are in a crisis management mode, and it's hard to see where they go from here.

• Premium Member

Quote:

W

I've watched Kaman play several times this past years and a lot of his numbers come in trash time when the game is already over. I'm just not inpressed with him. No way in the world I give up JS for him period.

No deal here --- I would prefer JS/horf/zaza to Kaman/horf all day.

Clips offered Brand 5/70.....I'm pretty certain we would match that for JS. I doubt the Clips will offer Smoove more than that or else look very foolish (as someone said in another thread).

If Smoove was interested in the Sixers likely 5/67 deal, and we originally offered 5/45, it seems reasonable that we could sign him for about 5/55 (or 6/66?), which would be a great deal for Atlanta.

Kaman is a center so he has some value but you would be hard pressed to find any exec in the league that thinks Kaman has more value than Smith.

I have seen the complaints that many of you have with Smith which makes me think you haven't watched Kaman play (or looked at a stat-sheet for that matter) if you want to do a straight up swap for them.

Lets look at the facts. Kaman is 26 and had this breakout year at age 25. Before that he had basically flatlined as a slightly below average center playing next to a franchise PF. Smith is 22 and has improved every year as his team improved around him.

Problems with Smith: too many TOs, ?able shot selection, focus. Unfortunately, Kaman has as many TOs with fewer assists or FTs (which often lead to TOs); while Smith shoots too low a % for a PF, Kaman similarly shoots too low for a C; Smith is a dominant shotblocker who's lack of focus keeps him from being an elite man defender and Kaman has an a single season as a dominant shotblocker and has a case of ADD that keeps him from being even a solid man defender.

Based on a comprehensive stat like PER, Smith is noticably better than Kaman. The "intangible" problems people seem to have with Smith are present and even magnified with Kaman. Add to that, Smith has consistently improved and has a lot more potential than Kaman and an offer of Smith plus a pick for Kaman makes it look like someone hasn't done their homework.

Quote:

W

Get a grip they're not giving up Kaman or anything else of value. What did Phoenix get for JJ - Diaw and picks? We have absolutely no leverage if we don't match their offer - so there won't be anything coming back but a scrub and picks.

Quote:

Get a grip they're not giving up Kaman or anything else of value. What did Phoenix get for JJ - Diaw and picks? We have absolutely no leverage if we don't match their offer - so there won't be anything coming back but a scrub and picks.

I agree. Plus, LA already lost a big forward, they're not going to trade away one of the few legit centers in the league to get an undersized power forward. they'd be better off signing him to a front loaded offer sheet and hope the Hawks don't match. and if the Hawks do match, doing the same with Okafur, or settling for Kwame or someone else.

Quote:

Add to that, Smith has consistently improved and has a lot more potential than Kaman and an offer of Smith plus a pick for Kaman makes it look like someone hasn't done their homework.

Or perhaps we are guilty of overvaluing other teams' players in relation to our own. I can't see Kaman getting much better than he is now, and he has benefited from playing alongside Brand. Smooth, on the other hand, brings more to the table than Kaman right now (in my opinion). Add that to his upside and I would be very disappointed in a trade with Kaman/Smoove at the fulcrum.

I would hate to see us move a centerpiece of the franchise just to fill a positional void. Not to sound like our former GM, but I would much rather have the talent and find a way to make it work than have prototypical 1-5 players with less ability.

Quote:

We have absolutely no leverage if we don't match their offer - so there won't be anything coming back but a scrub and picks.

I disagree. I don't think LAC can offer anything too scary (in terms of a front-loaded contract) once Diddy is officially on the books. I think we have plenty of leverage if the Clips really want to make a run at Smoove.

They would have to give something of value; I see your point in that moving Kaman would cripple their frontcourt but they would have to move him or Thornton IMO plus a pick IMO.

Let's also not underestimate the fact that this is the Clips franchise we are dealing with. Their personnel moves have not always matched conventional wisdom in both short and long-term historical context.