• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Horford/Smith the frount court of the future?

plato

Very athletic, yet very undersized. Unless we get a true center via trade, I see Horford as the best center the Hawks can get their hands on, although he's more of a pure PF. Smith is small at the 4 but there aren't many PFs in the game today that he can't defend adequately. The only way I see this frontcourt living up to its full potential is if the Hawks run the fast to let the frontcourt use, but even if Woody is not smart enough to get these guys on the break, I think Smith/Horford is solid. Not great, but solid. They'd be an absolutely fantastic combo at SF/PF imo.

Quote:

Very athletic, yet very undersized. Unless we get a true center via trade, I see Horford as the best center the Hawks can get their hands on, although he's more of a pure PF. Smith is small at the 4 but there aren't many PFs in the game today that he can't defend adequately. The only way I see this frontcourt living up to its full potential is if the Hawks run the fast to let the frontcourt use, but even if Woody is not smart enough to get these guys on the break, I think Smith/Horford is solid. Not great, but solid. They'd be an absolutely fantastic combo at SF/PF imo.

First of all there has to be another quality player in there since there are 96 minutes at the 4/5.

In order for Horford/Smith to work the mismatch has to work in our favor. They have to be able to score on other bigs much easier than they get scored on. I think this could happen but they both have a long way to go offensively for it to work.

Defensively they both make a legit effort which isn't true of some bigs. Plus they can guard switches on smaller players better than more traditional bigs. However we need another big with size who can defend some of the bigger post players. It is too much to ask Horford or Smith to guard guys like Yao, Duncan or Howard.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Without one of them developing a post offense and defense that can score 20 ppg and hold their defensive counterpart to 45% shooting... then the we can never be successful.

Athleticism will only last so long.. then you must have skillset.

Quote:

Quote:

Without one of them developing a post offense and defense that can score 20 ppg and hold their defensive counterpart to 45% shooting... then the we can never be successful.

Who says they won't? Smoove is obviously improving every year and I expect Horford to do the same. It's too soon to determine if we need a legit center IMO.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Who says they won't? Smoove is obviously improving every year and I expect Horford to do the same. It's too soon to determine if we need a legit center IMO.

Nobody says they won't. I say that one has to if we're going to be successful.

Quote:

Quote:

Josh Smith could be a 20 ppg player, and Al Horford is a player that probably will be able to hold his opponent to 45%.

Quote:

It's the only way they can co-exist.

Smoove is not a SF.

If this front office has a lick of sense, they are the future. Otherwise it will be Horford at PF and no telling who at C. (Zaza for now)