• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Per Don Nelson / Warriors, Hawks related

coachx

« What's next for the... | Main | Surprise! Chris... »

Nellie checks in from Las Vegas

From Janny Hu.

Talked to Nellie this morning, which qualifies as a tiny crack in the Warriors' long-running silence. (Chris Mullin still isn't returning calls). A quick rundown, with some funny bits:

Nellie's projected lineup:

PG: Monta Ellis, C.J. Watson

SG: Stephen Jackson, Marco Belinelli

SF: Corey Maggette, Anthony Randolph

PF: Al Harrington, Brandan Wright

C: Andris Biedrins, (*Ronny Turiaf)

Assuming they get Turiaf, who should be signing the Warriors' 4-year, $17 million offer sheet anytime now, Nellie said the next priority is to add a third point guard to backup Monta. Names I've heard they are/were interested in are Keyon Dooling, Jamont Gordon, and Anthony Carter, who just re-signed with the Nuggets. He says no other major moves expected.

He and Baron smoked a cigar last Friday in Oakland when BD dropped by the Warriors' practice facility to say good-bye. Nellie says they're still planning on getting together in Maui next month. Stephen Jackson? Nellie joked that he's left five messages for him and hasn't heard back.

As for Maggette, Nellie said he believed there were no option years on the contract. So that would leave it as a five-year deal for a little less than $50 million.

Articled ended above.

Found it interesting that Nelson confirms the Warriors do not plan on making any big moves and what his projected line up is. This confirms 4 things that are Hawks realted:

1. Warriors will not make a play for Smoove

2. Warriors will not make a play for Chillz

3. Warriors will not resign Barnes (we could make a play on him)

4. Warriors will not resign Azubuki (we could make a play on him)

or

Don Nelson is just messing with us b/c I have seen nothing confirming the Warriors have renounced rights to Barnes or Azubuki and they do have cap space to do something if Mullin so chooses..............Not sure if I buy a poker a guy like Nelson showing his hand like that or not.

Would you rather have Chillz for the $5.86 mill MLE ?

or

Split the $5.86 MLE between a wing (Hayse, Barnes or Azubuki) and a big (Brown or Elson) ?

• Premium Member

The thing about GS ad Smoove is the fact that they have Brandan Wright. He's supposed to be their PF of the future.. and they picked up Maggette. There's no place for Smoove Really.

Our eyes should be on LAC. I think they can come up with something, but I would think that if they did, it would be for a guy like Okafor.

Lat night on ESPN Rich Bucher said the Warriors were looking to add a big PG to play with Ellis and were talking to the Grizz.

Makes on think they are targeting J. Crittendon who at 6'5'' fits the bill.

Then Nellie says they are just looking for a 3rd string backup PG.

Neither source is very credidble (Nellie will lie to your face and enjoy it while Bucher just likes to fan the rumor mill) but there is little else "new" news to discuss.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Our eyes should be on LAC. I think they can come up with something, but I would think that if they did, it would be for a guy like Okafor.

Really?

I think Smith would fit in better with Davis and Kaman than Okafor would.

Well, the problem is that they are not really a running team anymore.

PG = BDiddy

SG = Mobley?

SF = Thornton.

C = Kaman

Really, nothing about this team says that we are ready to run. Even Tim Thomas looks like he's fitting into a half court set.

I think you get Okafor. You put him at PF. You have Kaman and Okafor and you are able to match any frontcourt in the west (defensively). I don't see Smoove helping with Tim Duncan or with Louis Scola or with Boozer or with Aldridge. Smoove is a good help defender, but one on one, he gets eaten alive by Boozer and the PFs of the east. We're taking the risk with Smoove simply because we don't play those guys everyday and Woody is becoming better and better at hiding Smoove on defense.

Quote:

You say Smoove gets eaten alive by PFs in the east, care to name them?

Chris Bosh, Kevin Garnett, Gerald Wallace, and Zach Randolph are PFs that had good games against Smith during the regular season, if I remember correctly.

Quote:

Quote:

You say Smoove gets eaten alive by PFs in the east, care to name them?

Chris Bosh, Kevin Garnett, Gerald Wallace, and Zach Randolph are PFs that had good games against Smith during the regular season, if I remember correctly.

They had big games against Horford.

During the 06/07 season before Horford got here Bosh averaged 18.8 ppg against us, 3.8 below his average. But he lit up Horford this year. Smith outscored KG in 06/07 and held KG to 7% worse from the field than his season average during the playoffs.

GWallace is a 3. The only reason he has spent any time at the 4 is because of injuries to May and Okafor.