• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Chris Broussard on Smoove and Chilldress

wfhawkfan

First, I'll address Atlanta forward Josh Smith. Smith lost his leverage with the Hawks when Philadelphia signed Elton Brand and Golden State signed Corey Maggette. Now, he's basically at the Hawks' mercy.

But contrary to some opinions, they are showing mercy. According to sources, they are offering Smith a six-year deal worth $60 million.

Smith wants $12 million a year, and I can't blame him for wanting as much money as possible. But I think the Hawks are being fair.

With no competitors on the market, they could low-ball Smith. They could offer him the same five-year, $45 million deal they offered last year, and no one could better it.

Smith's options are limited. Sign-and-trade opportunities are sparse because Smith will be a base-year compensation player, which complicates matters financially, and his qualifying offer of $3.1 million isn't that high because he was just the 17th pick of the 2004 draft.

What Smith has to realize is that the Hawks have to protect their future. If they want to keep their young talent together, they can't break the bank for Smith. They're going to have to pay a lot of other folks too.

Mike Bibby's contract expires after this season, and the deals for Joe Johnson and Marvin Williams expire the following year. That's not to mention Al Horford, who'll be deserving of a big raise in a few years.

Plus, while Smith has blossomed into a potential All-Star, he hasn't led the Hawks anywhere yet. A 37-45 record is nothing to brag about, whether you took the champs to seven games or not. Atlanta is far from a playoff lock this season.

And Josh should count himself blessed. Perhaps he should get a little bit more money, but he could also be in the same position as Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor, who probably wish they had taken deals worth at least $10 million annually last summer.

As for Atlanta's other free agent, Josh Childress, I'm told the Hawks are offering a five-year deal that begins at slightly more than the $5.5 million mid-level exception. So he's looking at a deal that could approach $7 million annually.

That's much more than any other NBA team is willing to pay him. He hasn't gotten a mid-level exception offer from another team, so the only leverage he really has is overseas, where he's considering a three-year, $20 million offer from Olympiakos in Greece.

Three years, $20 million vs. five years, roughly 34 million. What's the difference, other than more security with the NBA offer?

Both Smith and Childress should return to Atlanta.

link

Quote:

But contrary to some opinions, they are showing mercy. According to sources, they are offering Smith a six-year deal worth $60 million.

Smith wants $12 million a year, and I can't blame him for wanting as much money as possible. But I think the Hawks are being fair.

If this is true then its great news ! Good work from the ASG to free up funds for a reasonable offer for Sund to make.

Those figures are not TOO far off from one another.

ASG offers 6 years at $60 mill (very reasonable)

Smoove wants 6 years at $72 mill

At the end of the day there is alwayse some give and take to reach a compromise. Maybe they just split the difference and call it a day. 6 years at $65-67 mill is nothing cry about on the ride home

With Smith having little bargaining power at this stage, I'm guessing 6 years ar $65 mill would be a DONE DEAL.

On a side note that is relevant to the business of the ASG: I have already gotten 2 phone calls from ASG representatives TODAY trying to pencil in an appointment with me for Saturday's ticket sales event. I told them: " I'm there IF Josh Smith is resigned." Do not RSVP me until then.

I am expecting the news to break Thursday with a blitz of free advertising for the Saturday ticket sale event to ride the coat tails of the potential Smoove announcement.

Quote:

If this is true at least Smith isn't asking for something way out of line. They should be able to find some middle ground there.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Both those offers are extremely fair (although I dont really think Chill is worth quite that much). While I understand both Joshes want the most possible, they are not getting "low-balled" or "disrespected" by those offers.

I think Chillz is a good player that hustles, but until he gets an outside shot he is going to be nothing more than a bench player with the Hawks.

Quote:

No Problem.

I do find it interesting, and honestly perplexing, that Chilldress hasn't gotten one MLE offer. I assumed he would get more than the MLE in a SNT possibly.

I find it very simple. If Chillz got a MLE offer they would be playing into the hands of the ASG. If Chillz was "hoaxed into" signing a MLE offer of $5.58 mill the ASG would have matched in .01 seconds flat and Chillz is smart enought to know that. He wants more then $5.58 mill per year and found away to do just that in Greece.

No team is offering him more then that b/c no team except Memphis can.

Sign and trade sceneriors with BYC players are really hard to get value out of.

• Admin

I really hope we can resolve this soon.

I think 60 million for 6 years is more then fair for what Smith has done in the league so far.

I believe CHildress will leave for Greece. If that happens we need to quickly get a good bench swingman replacement.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Make it 11 mil/yr and call it a day.lol

Can't do it unless Childress goes to Greece.

11 mil would put us in Lux Tax zone?

No we have $17.5 -$18 mill befoe the luxury tax.

Sign Smoove to a 6 year $66 mill deal averaging $11 mill is hard to figure. Is the first year $9 mill oescalting up to $13-$14 by year 6 or is it $11 mill steady every year ? Most deals escelate in value.

We would have enough left over to taget Chillz

or

We could burn the entire $5.58 MLE and get some minimum salaried guys.

The big difference on the Chillz side of it is taxes. Unless I am wrong the Greek money is almost tax free. The bottom line to the deal the Hawks presented and the greek deal is either way he would be putting 20 million in his pocket except in the greek deal he will get it in 3 years instead of 5. On a 34 million dollar contract he would be taxed about 40 percent here in the states.

Quote:

First, I'll address Atlanta forward Josh Smith. Smith lost his leverage with the Hawks when Philadelphia signed Elton Brand and Golden State signed Corey Maggette. Now, he's basically at the Hawks' mercy.

Now this is lower than anybody on Hawksquawk has expressed giving to Smith, other than Hotlanta. So I guess a deal like this would start Smith out around 8 million? That's a far cry from the 11 - 13 million the majority of Hawksquawk wants to start him out at.

If I'm Smith's agent, and 6/60 is the best deal he can get, I'm asking to be paid a flat 10 million a year, with a player option in year 4. The Hawks should counter with a team option in year 5, with year 6 being guaranteed if he's picked up by the team in year 5.

Quote:

Not surprising. And I bet all the rest of those guys want 12 million per, after the deal Bogut got.

Quote:

With no competitors on the market, they could low-ball Smith. They could offer him the same five-year, $45 million deal they offered last year, and no one could better it.

Smith's options are limited. Sign-and-trade opportunities are sparse because Smith will be a base-year compensation player, which complicates matters financially, and his qualifying offer of $3.1 million isn't that high because he was just the 17th pick of the 2004 draft.

What Smith has to realize is that the Hawks have to protect their future. If they want to keep their young talent together, they can't break the bank for Smith. They're going to have to pay a lot of other folks too.

Exactly.

I think I've said that I would give Smith 11 mill per, 12 at the max. If Chill bounces to Greece, maybe the ASG can bump up the offer to 6/64 - 68 million, and entice him to sign for that.

Quote:

And Josh should count himself blessed. Perhaps he should get a little bit more money, but he could also be in the same position as Ben Gordon and Emeka Okafor, who probably wish they had taken deals worth at least $10 million annually last summer.

LOL . . exactly again.

To me, Okafor's worth to that team isn't even greater than Gerald Wallace's As for Gordon, he might get a deal that pays him 7 million per . . . MIGHT.

Quote:

As for Atlanta's other free agent, Josh Childress, I'm told the Hawks are offering a five-year deal that begins at slightly more than the $5.5 million mid-level exception. So he's looking at a deal that could approach $7 million annually.

If this is true, that's more than a fair enough offer for Chill. Chill may be looking for a higher startng salary to the deal though. If he has a 5/32.5 deal, maybe they can pay him a flat 6.5 mill throughout the deal

Quote:

That's much more than any other NBA team is willing to pay him. He hasn't gotten a mid-level exception offer from another team, so the only leverage he really has is overseas, where he's considering a three-year, $20 million offer from Olympiakos in Greece.

Three years, $20 million vs. five years, roughly 34 million. What's the difference, other than more security with the NBA offer?

Interesting comment frm him saying that it's much more than any other NBA team is willing to pay him.

As far as the "what's the difference" between the NBA and Greek contract . . . . it's the amount he can make in 3 years.

He can make 20 million the first 3 years virtually untaxed in Greece, compared to what . . 17 - 18 mill in the NBA for the first 3 years . . taxed at about 35% . . netting him around 12 mill.

It's like I said about the Smith signilng bonus deal with Philly or the Clips. I don't care how much he "loves" Atlanta. When someone is offering you money right from the jump, you're usually going to take that money.

Chill will be tempted to do the same with the Greece offer. There's a big difference between 7 million untaxed in year 1, and 5.5 million taxed at 35%.

Quote:

That is a very fair offer for Smoove. He need to accept it and move on.

Agreed, no need to get too greedy. Its not like ten mill a year is chump change...

hmmm... The things I could do with one years salary... boat.gif