• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Aftershocks - Sekou -Thursday 12:51 PM ET

jerrywest

• Moderators

Quote:

The only place people expect an employee to sacrifice for the greater good of the organization is in professional sports, which is a complete oxymoron.

That’s what makes it “professional sports.”

You see this claim all the time but its absolutely false. Most professionals in the workplace will make the choice at some time to work for a better company or in a better area for less money. In fact I think it happens way more in the 'real' world than in the world of professional sports despite the fact that the difference between 12 million and 14 million really means nothing compared to the difference between $50,000 and $70,000 to the average person.

No one is asking Chill to sacrifice for the sake of the Hawks. But to say only athletes are expected to take less than their perceived value is actually the opposite of the truth.

Quote:

Quote:

The only place people expect an employee to sacrifice for the greater good of the organization is in professional sports, which is a complete oxymoron.

You see this claim all the time but its absolutely false. Most professionals in the workplace will make the choice at some time to work for a better company or in a better area for less money. 95% of the league has better ownership than the Hawks, so right now any place other than Atlanta would be a better company to work for. No one is asking Chill to sacrifice for the sake of the Hawks. But to say only athletes are expected to take less than their perceived value is actually the opposite of the truth.

If you read down further he gives his explanation for the quote. Sekou states, "Anyone faced with the opportunity to earn twice as much money on the job, I don’t care if it’s busting rocks or shooting hoops, is obligated to consider the proposition. That’s human economics 101 right there."

Who in their right mind wouldn't entertain a new position, which offers a significant financial upgrade? Times are hard, before one would stay with a company for 20 years. Nowadays job seekers are switching companies every three to four years. Financial gains are the main reason for this current trend.

Are we Hawks fans or economists? Jeez, I don't care how much more money he got, he should be a villain to Hawks fans. This is sports. You guys can gush over how many more cars,the guy will be able to buy. Real sports fans with real passion don't stand around applauding guys who take advantage of a loop hole to get richer at the expense of their team. Ugh. Anyway, let's just sign a role player to replace him and move on.

Quote:

Quote:

You see this claim all the time but its absolutely false. Most professionals in the workplace will make the choice at some time to work for a better company or in a better area for less money. In fact I think it happens way more in the 'real' world than in the world of professional sports despite the fact that the difference between 12 million and 14 million really means nothing compared to the difference between $50,000 and $70,000 to the average person.

No one is asking Chill to sacrifice for the sake of the Hawks. But to say only athletes are expected to take less than their perceived value is actually the opposite of the truth.

he didn't say that pro sports is only time people sacrifice money for an organization...he said only time that the public EXPECTS them to do so...sure many people take a pay cut to work for a better organization, or one closer to home, etc...but people aren't EXPECTING them to

Quote:

Are we Hawks fans or economists? Jeez, I don't care how much more money he got, he should be a villain to Hawks fans. This is sports. You guys can gush over how many more cars,the guy will be able to buy.
Real sports fans with real passion
don't stand around applauding guys who take advantage of a loop hole to get richer at the expense of their team. Ugh. Anyway, let's just sign a role player to replace him and move on.

here we go again with people projecting THEIR definition of 'real fan' onto everyone

just like with the 'tank or not' threads...

people's opinions over a player or a strategy, etc doesn't define if they are a 'real fan' or not

Quote:

Are we Hawks fans or economists? Jeez, I don't care how much more money he got, he should be a villain to Hawks fans. This is sports. You guys can gush over how many more cars,the guy will be able to buy.
Real sports fans with real passion don't stand around applauding guys who take advantage of a loop hole to get richer at the expense of their team.
Ugh. Anyway, let's just sign a role player to replace him and move on.

You know what? You're right.

In the end, fans have to stop the crying, dry their tears, and move on.

As a Bengals fan, It was sad to see our all-time leading rusher in Corey Dillon basically want out. The same happened later that spring, when we Takeo Spikes didn't want to return.

Who could blame them. We were easily the worst organization in all of professional sports.

So what did the Bengals do? They didn't cry because they lost their 2 best players.

THEY MANNED UP!!!

- much maligned QB, Jon Kitna, had a career year

- a new star receiver started to emerge, in Chad Johnson

- a secondary that used to get toasted all the time, started getting INTs by the boatloads

- Peter Warrick, a guy considered to be a bust by everybody, almost single-handedly took down the 10 - 0 Kansas City Chiefs, in what has to be considered one of the greatest games in Bengal history.

- a "slow", but tough 4th round RB out of Auburn, ( Rudi Johnson ) stepped in to fill Corey's shoes, and commenced to break his single-season rushing record.

- and a fan base, which had nothing to cheer about for 14 years, suddendly had life injected back into them, even though the offensive and defensive stars of the team went elsewhere.

When I talk about UNCONDITIONAL SUPPORT, you're the type of fan I'm talking about. No matter what happens with the Hawks, you still have to have faith that the guys currently on the roster, can ramp up their games and compensate for the losses.

And as fans, you can either choose to support the team, or abandon them before you even see what they can do.

I liked Chill as a player, but he's no longer a Hawk. Once that happens, he doesn't matter to me anymore. I'll keep up with him a little to see how he's doing in Europe. But for the most part, #1 is dead to me, as a Hawks fan.

I now look toward the future, and see if guys like Marvin and especially Acie Law, can play well enough for us to forget all about Childress.

That's what happens in sports. Somebody leaves or gets hurt, and an opportunity arises for one or more players to step up, and contribute at a level no one thought he could.

The two wild cards this franchise holds, in the event that we lost Chill and ( God forbid ) Smith for nothing, are Horford and Marvin. They may get a chance to prove how good they really are with their increased roles in the offense next year.

No one in their right mind would've ever thought a scrub like Diaw could go from malcontent bench warmer in Atlanta . . to an effective replacement for Amare in Phoenix ( at least for one year ).

In sports, you just have to see how things play out, before you automatically give up on your team, after they lose one or more key players.

Quote:

Quote:

It’s just a totally unacceptable proposition for a team rebuilt through the draft the past five years. Totally unacceptable.

Captain Obvious!

Why is it unacceptable? He was a bad pick at #6 and deserves no more than $7 million per annum. I can't fault the Hawks when a Greek team decides to make him the next Jon Koncak.

Quote:

The two wild cards this franchise holds, in the event that we lost Chill and ( God forbid ) Smith for nothing, are Horford and Marvin. They may get a chance to prove how good they really are with their increased roles in the offense next year.

Thank you, finally.

even Sekou just doesnt get it.......IT DIDN'T HAVE TO BE ABOUT THE MONEY....it should have never gotten there....when he declined the initial offer, they could have increased the offer a little bit more and been amicable about it and seemed like they were trying to work with him..

but instead they pissed him off by trying to play hardball and being standoffish and it backfired...we are talking about a player who is part of our turnaround, a nice guy overall, and a hard worker and you play hardball with him? that's not professional in my opinion.

Quote:

even Sekou just doesnt get it.......IT DIDN'T HAVE TO BE ABOUT THE MONEY....it should have never gotten there....when he declined the initial offer, they could have increased the offer a little bit more and been amicable about it and seemed like they were trying to work with him.

The first offer was already more than he was worth and you expected them to raise it? The man turned down the best NBA deal on the table. The ASG can't make him take it.

Quote:

Quote:

Thank you, finally.

Ha, I'm not going to be excited about hoping that Marvin Williams because a star.

If we lose Smith, I might still watch some games... certainly fewer than this season though.

As I've stated before, I spend my time and money on this franchise because I find it entertaining, not because I feel some sort of duty to it. If it looks like it won't be entertaining any more, or it looks like it is headed in the wrong direction, I will treat it like I did in the post Mookie/Smith/Kembe', pre-Josh/Josh era and not really pay attention.

This team isn't my family, it has done nothing for me to make me support it unconditionally. Hell, I don't even support my family unconditionally, I got an uncle I haven't spoken to in a decade because he did some messed up stuff.

Quote:

but instead they pissed him off by trying to play hardball and being standoffish and it backfired...we are talking about a player who is part of our turnaround, a nice guy overall, and a hard worker and you play hardball with him? that's not professional in my opinion.

Seriously? So ownership should bend over backwards, and cripple future financial flexibility to keep a role player here. Why, because he's a nice guy and we drafted him with the 6th pick?