In my discussions with Bruce today...

ATL_BALLER

...he pointed out that he couldn't recall a single other RFA signed yet by their own team, yet people are lambasting the ASG for not having Smoove in tow yet.

Is that a fair point? Should Chillz bolting be considered completely irrelevant and/or unrelated? Am I drinking the Kool-aid?

• Premium Member

Quote:

...he pointed out that he couldn't recall a single other RFA signed yet by their own team, yet people are lambasting the ASG for not having Smoove in tow yet.

Is that a fair point? Should Chillz bolting be considered completely irrelevant and/or unrelated? Am I drinking the Kool-aid?

You're drinking the Kool-aid.

Let's focus on our team for a second.

We are capped out.

Smoove is our first priority.

We are a franchise with a bad history.

What's the hold up for US?

IS it that we're waiting on all these other teams to move?

For the record, Chicago has made an offer to Deng. I'm not sure that Deng is worth more to Chicago than Smoove to us (because of his health).

For the record, Okafor was made a strong offer last year. I don't think Charlotte plans on raising the offer it made to Okafor because of his health.

For the record, Philly may be shopping AI in a SNT.

However, what does that mean about our reason for not resigning Smoove?

We've already lost Chillz.

What are we waiting on?

Quote:

He's right factually.

Theoretically though, you don't hear jack coming from the GSW RFAs because they know that Mullin is going to pay them. Iggy isn't saying much either because the Sixers didn't sign Brand to a massive contract just to have Iggy bounce next season. Both the Chi guys are pissed and are talkin' about walkin' or getting traded and it looks like Oak and Charlotte are heading towards divorce as well.

The lesser FAs don't matter as much but Buike' has been signed, you know what happened to Childress, and everyone else is waiting on the big dogs to set the market.

Smith seems to be a lot closer to the Deng/Oak situations than the Ellis/Biedrins one.

I forgot, Louis Williams' discussions w/ the Sixers have apparently been positive, Nachbar is going over seas, Kristic and Landry are headed there too.

Point being, its a bad offseason to compare yourself to other teams w/ RFAs.

Why is everyone upset at the ASG when other teams still haven't signed their restricted free agents? Well, for one thing, none of these other team's free agents have signed in Greece yet. I think that's one big distinction. And none of these other team's owners are currently suing each other. That's another big distinction. And in more general terms, none of these other teams have a long history of taking FOREVER to do anything...like trading for Joe Johnson, trading Al Harington, or resolving ownership disputes. At least the fans of other teams can be reasonably sure that their teams could AFFORD to pay a player if it made sense to do so. And finally, none of these teams passed on Chris Paul for Marvin Williams and then followed it up by drafting Shelden Williams over any number of guys who can actually play in this league. I don't care what other teams are doing...I'm tired of the way our team has been run ever since the ASG showed up.

Quote:

Why is everyone upset at the ASG when other teams still haven't signed their restricted free agents? Well, for one thing, none of these other team's free agents have signed in Greece yet. I think that's one big distinction. And none of these other team's owners are currently suing each other. That's another big distinction. And in more general terms, none of these other teams have a long history of taking FOREVER to do anything...like trading for Joe Johnson, trading Al Harington, or resolving ownership disputes. At least the fans of other teams can be reasonably sure that their teams could AFFORD to pay a player if it made sense to do so. And finally, none of these teams passed on Chris Paul for Marvin Williams and then followed it up by drafting Shelden Williams over any number of guys who can actually play in this league. I don't care what other teams are doing...I'm tired of the way our team has been run ever since the ASG showed up.

The phone lines have now been closed, we have a winner.

The reason why folks came down on the Notorious A.S.G. and not the rest of the teams who currently have RFAs are because those other teams don't already have a reputation for being one of the most dysfunctional front offices in all of pro sports. When you have a bad reputation like Hawks management does, you have to work twice as hard to eradicate it from the minds of players, their agents, your counterparts (other teams), and most importantly, your fanbase. Simply telling the masses that you took the world champs to seven games after spending most of the last decade in the cellar just doesn't fly.

You don't see the Pistons or Mavericks losing their key guys to Europe; we do. You don't see the Spurs taking an entire offseason to SNT a guy they don't want anymore; we do. You certainly don't see ownership groups from other teams suing one another in court but we have. No team in pro sports have gone nearly a quarter-century between drafting an All-Star/Pro Bowl player; well, except one (take a guess). No NBA team has gone FIFTY years between their last world title; well, except one (take a guess). So, sorry Bruce; YOU DON'T GET THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT THAT THOSE OTHER TEAMS DO.

Support is all about trust. This bunch has done very little to earn either one. Until that changes, they shouldn't be expecting either one.

GAME, SET, MATCH.

Bravo vdunk and bravo dejay! It's like these bunch of clown owners just expect us to swallow any dose of crap they dish us. It's time to let go of your fantasies ASG. You wanted your nba team like a kid wants a toy at wal-mart. But you screwed up big time with all of your childish egos getting in the way of doing what's right for the city and it's team. Now none of you will swallow your pride and address the fans of this city with some straightforward and honest accountability. That might be a first step in earning some respect. But oh no! We are hearing garbage like other teams haven't signed their restricted free agents either. Chill was money hungry! Give me a break. You guys are hopeless. Even if there is a decent person amongst your circle of ineptitude, it doesn't matter because of all the damage that has been done to the psyche of the knowledgable fanbase. Here is a straight forward message for you guys....we're not freaking idiots. We know of the fiasco going on in court with Belkin. We have heard the stories of children's birthday parties being paraded through locker rooms after games during a playoff stretch(this was reported to have happened to the Thrashers a few years ago). We have seen the painstakingly long process to make personnel moves. Do you guys think other players and their agents, not to mention us the fans, do not see this! You insult us!

• Premium Member

Quote:

This situation is so new and unprecedented that you might as well say, "You don't see the Pistons or Mavericks losing their key players to lightning strikes; we do." Bag on ASG for many things but the Greek Koncakian contract is not a foreseeable thing.

While not foreseeable.. it was definitely preventable.

You don't lowball and Strong arm FAs that you're trying to keep!

Quote:

Quote:

This situation is so new and unprecedented that you might as well say, "You don't see the Pistons or Mavericks losing their key players to lightning strikes; we do." Bag on ASG for many things but the Greek Koncakian contract is not a foreseeable thing.

While not foreseeable.. it was definitely preventable.

You don't lowball and Strong arm FAs that you're trying to keep!

Exactly. JS/JC have/had every right to say- screw you, I'm leaving.

ATL_Baller, we only have EIGHT (8) players under contract! Two of those are Solomon and Speedy who can't be counted on at all! That means we still have to fill out the entire roster and almost every one of the good FA role players are gone. We are over the cap, so that means we'll have to split up the MLE and sign nothing but over the hill players for the minimum. We have done absolutely NOTHING this entire offseason, hell we didn't even add a draft pick. There is not a team in the NBA who has done less than us this offseason, and the ASG acts like nothing is wrong. Terrible.

Just point Levenson to this:

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives...ulti_year_deal/

Quote:

The Golden State Warriors have re-signed guard Monta Ellis to a multi-year contract, it was announced today by Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations Chris Mullin. Per team policy, terms of the agreement were not announced.

“We are absolutely thrilled to have Monta under contract for the next several years,” said Mullin. “He has been one of the top young players in the NBA for the last two years and enjoyed a tremendous season last year. The growth that he has demonstrated at such a young age is incredible and we look forward to him playing a big part in our future success.”

Ellis, 22, averaged a career-high 20.2 points, 5.0 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.53 steals in 37.9 minutes in 81 games last season. He ranked 14th in the NBA in field goal percentage (.531, 3rd among all guards), 15th in steals and 25th in scoring. He became only the ninth guard in NBA history to shoot 60% from the floor for an entire month in February (.602). The 6’3” Ellis scored a career-high 39 points on January 24 vs. New Jersey and scored 30-plus points on 12 occasions overall.

Originally selected (out of high school) in the second round of the 2005 NBA Draft by Golden State (#40 overall), Ellis was named the NBA’s Most Improved Player following the 2006-07 campaign, when his scoring average increased by nearly 10 points per game from the previous season (6.8 to 16.5). The Jackson, Mississippi native has averaged 15.7 points, 3.6 rebounds and 3.4 assists overall in 207 NBA games during his three-year career. Additionally, his field goal percentage has increased by nearly 6% in each of his three campaigns (.415, .475, 531).

So now we see the first domino fall in RFA. Let's see how long it takes to come along to the ASG. My guess is not soon.

Quote:

haha