• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Switching Lanes

Chris18

http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-bl...hing_lanes.html

Switching lanes

By Sekou K Smith | Saturday, July 26, 2008, 10:11 AM

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

THE BASEMENT - This time a month ago I was busy calculating just how long it might take for the Hawks to wrap up negotiations with both Josh Smith and Josh Childress before putting the finishing touches on the roster in time for training camp.

Little did I know that I’d be sitting here this morning trying to wrap my dome around the fact that there’s a good chance neither Smith nor Childress would be in a Hawks uniform this season.

Childress, of course, is already gone.

Smith, on the other hand, is still in the crosshairs. But it’s not looking good for the Hawks on that front.

There are at least two, blockbuster sign-and-trade proposals the Hawks are chewing on regarding Smith (one from a Western Conference power and the other from an Eastern Conference big dog) that could dramatically change the landscape in Hawksville.

The “proverbial” ball appears to be clearly in the Hawks’ court regarding both opportunities, and we should presume many more. Because if they are resigned to the fact that they don’t intend to pay Smith a salary commensurate with what he feels he’s worth, then there only recourse is to sign-and-trade him.

The leverage we all assumed the Hawks had with their own restricted free agents went up in smoke last week when Childress bounced.

Anyone that doesn’t think Smith will wait this thing out as long as the Hawks is living in a dream world. If you don’t think he’ll sign a qualifying offer, play out his season and walk next summer as an unrestricted free agent you’re crazy.

If the Hawks want to get anything in return (and keep in mind they get absolutely nothing if he plays out the year and walks, NOTHING), they have to act now.

The tricky thing about sign-and-trades is that all sides not only have to agree on the deal but all three sides want to walk away from the deal the winner (whether it’s acknowledged by others or not).

With one loss already on the books this summer, the Hawks simply cannot afford another.

AFTER THE FACT: If you believe what you read, half the NBA considered going to Europe before Childress decided to take the groundbreaking leap.

I don’t believe. I think it’s extremely convenient (and totally disingenuous), mostly for these agents involved, that they can lay claim to being pursued by Olympiakos or any of these other European teams after the fact.

Whether you love or hate the decision, Childress and his camp have to be given credit for their vision. So for everyone else to claim to have spurned the same opportunities is just a bit sketchy to me.

ON THE VERGE: There hasn’t been a whole lot of chatter about Randolph Morris since he made an appearance at the Hawks’ mini-camp at Philips Arena.

But several of my spies contend that he’s set to join the Hawks’ roster for this upcoming season (on a two-year, minimum deal that would allow the Hawks to bolster their frontcourt rotation significantly).

This would also be a splendid opportunity for Morris to dig in and make his status in the NBA permanent (not necessarily with the Hawks but just in the general sense) by proving that he’s a legitimate big man.

And the opportunity to play behind Al Horford and perhaps Zaza Pachulia should provide ample opportunity for Morris to make his case.

MO, MO, MO: I do like the acquisition of Mo Evans, though not necessarily as a replacement for Childress.

How smooth would it have been to add him to the mix along with the Hawks’ top eight rotation (from the playoff series against Boston)?

The role Evans can play for this team has nothing to do with offense and so much more to do with what he can do defensively.

The Hawks have needed a defensive stopper (if you will) to help alleviate that pressure on Joe Johnson. Evans could be the off-the-bench stopper the Hawks haven’t had the past few years, a guy that comes in alongside Johnson on the defensive end and a guy who can also stroke the ball from deep to keep team’s off balance on the other end of the floor.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article! I wonder what constitutes a "blockbuster" to Sekou? Is it a blockbuster just because Smoove is outgoing? I think that the big dog in the East is probably the Detroit offer that we heard of but because of BYC rules it would be very difficult to pull off unless we include other players.

I'm not expecting much out of Randolph Morris but it's good to hear that we are close on a 2 year minimum deal with him.

Nice blog.

I am thinking the Western team is the Lakers, and they'd send us Lamar Odom as part of a 3 team trade?

The other team has to be the Pistons.

Maybe we could trade Smoove for a 2 or 3 player package, helping lengthen our depth?

The only way I can legitimately see us trade Smoove is if we get an extremely talented young player still on his rookie deal, due to BYC rules and needing to get back equal talent.

Oh crap. This gets interesting awfully fast.

If we get Randolph Morris for the minimum, we still have money to get yet another player, right?

I think we have 3 million to kill, Morris may be 1 mill/year, so that laeves 2 mill?

I saw a rumor we might be going after Devin Brown (NBA Rumors Hoopshype), or maybe we could sign a really cheap big like Lorenzen as more insurance.

Nice blog.

I am thinking the Western team is the Lakers, and they'd send us Lamar Odom as part of a 3 team trade?

The other team has to be the Pistons.

Maybe we could trade Smoove for a 2 or 3 player package, helping lengthen our depth?

The only way I would do a deal from the Lakers is if it included Andrew Bynum because Smoove for Odom isn't good enough.

Good to see that we're close to signing Randolph for cheap. If he signs for the LLE we should be able to bring Kwame and possibly Devin Brown in to solidify our bench.

If we get Randolph Morris for the minimum, we still have money to get yet another player, right?

I think we have 3 million to kill, Morris may be 1 mill/year, so that laeves 2 mill?

I saw a rumor we might be going after Devin Brown (NBA Rumors Hoopshype), or maybe we could sign a really cheap big like Lorenzen as more insurance.

I'd rather not go down the Lorenzen Wright path again....

Randolph Morris would be a great signing for us. He's REALLY REALLY cheap plus he adds depth to the frontcourt.

The only way I can legitimately see us trade Smoove is if we get an extremely talented young player still on his rookie deal, due to BYC rules and needing to get back equal talent.

Western Conference Powers? Lakers, Suns, Spurs, Jazz, and Mavs?

Eastern Conference Big Dog? Detroit, Cavs, Wizzards, and maybe the Heat or Knicks?(Those last two based on recent success or market size..

Any deal to bring back a top player or 2 would probably have to include Speedy or Zaza to get the salry numbers to work.

I'd rather not go down the Lorenzen Wright path again....

Randolph Morris would be a great signing for us. He's REALLY REALLY cheap plus he adds depth to the frontcourt.

Chillz, Lorenzen will cost us nothing, he's a locker room presence, and he is a big body. He does not hurt our team.

I think even after we get morris, we still need 1 or even 2 more big men since SOlomon is trash.

How about Magloire?

At first you would think Lakers or Spurs as a West Conf. power but if he is referring to over the last few years I think he might be talking about Dallas and Josh Howard. IMO, it'd be pretty awful to go from Josh Smith to Josh Howard not only b/c I think Smith is the more talented player, fills a more important need and is younger but then what do we do with Marvin Williams. That's kind of the same boat a trade for Tayshaun Prince puts us in.

:P Maybe the team is Phoenix and they are sending back Amare. JK

I'd certainly rather send him West if he isn't going to stay in Atlanta but we CANNOT take back a player like Al Harrington who won't help us win anything and has multiple years left on his deal.

A move including Josh has the makings of a disaster for the Atlanta franchise in the eyes of the fan base.

• Premium Member
Western Conference Powers? Lakers, Suns, Spurs, Jazz, and Mavs?

Eastern Conference Big Dog? Detroit, Cavs, Wizzards, and maybe the Heat or Knicks?(Those last two based on recent success or market size..

Any deal to bring back a top player or 2 would probably have to include Speedy or Zaza to get the salry numbers to work.

I'm guessing the EC team is Detroit.

For the WC team, may I throw out the possibility of a Smith/Amare swap?

If the Hawks trade their 2nd best player for anything less than a player who would be their 2nd best player, they'll lose JJ when his deal expires.

The only way I would do a deal from the Lakers is if it included Andrew Bynum because Smoove for Odom isn't good enough.

Good to see that we're close to signing Randolph for cheap. If he signs for the LLE we should be able to bring Kwame and possibly Devin Brown in to solidify our bench.

If Bynum was involved it would have to be a deal I would strongly consider. I think he is the 2nd best young center in the NBA.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually like Josh Howard. THe guy led the Mavs these last few years when Dirk was out and should've made the All Star team at least twice. He is only 6"5, which is a concern, and we'd have to include a 2nd player, but we need a legit scorer next to JJ.

I wanted R Jeff and Jamison for months, but Howard is a perfectly fine option.

What we do with Marvin / Howard is tough though lol

If Bynum was involved it would have to be a deal I would strongly consider. I think he is the 2nd best young center in the NBA.

There is no way in hell the Lakers will ever trade Bynum. They are in love with him. They will trade Gasol before they trade Bynum , plus i've heard he wants the max extension.

I'm guessing the EC team is Detroit.

For the WC team, may I throw out the possibility of a Smith/Amare swap?

If the Hawks trade their 2nd best player for anything less than a player who would be their 2nd best player, they'll lose JJ when his deal expires.

I just beat you to the Phoenix possibility. :)

I don't think Smoove for Odum makes sense for the Lakers (unless they just want to get rid of Odum's contract). Gasol looks like a lock at PF, with Bynum and Mihm holding down C. Phil Jackson likes a SF with point forward skills, and although Smoove has potential as a point forward, he is not there yet.

Very good read, im thinking Pistons and Denver. Denver's looks to be rebuilding, but i woudnlt class them as a power so i dunno but i doubt its from the lakers

The only person from Lakers i would take in a smith deal is bynum, no one from detroit and iverson from denver coz ima big AI Fan.

If its anybody from the lakers it would be Bynum, a Lamar trade makes no sense for us and i dont think Lakers would give us Bynum

It better not be the deal i posted

Edited by Jammin29