• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Shouldn't Smoove Expect From Asg At Least What Phi Offered?

sturt

• Premium Member
it takes only seconds to find Sekou's entires because his name is in bold.

(Uhhhh... yeah, so your point is... ???)

I recognize it's nothing unusual for Sekou to comment on his own blog posting, but it's not something I usually find worth my time and trouble.

We have heard from other sources that the ASG has upped their offer to 9.5-10 million and that Smith is asking for 12. Given the recent signings it should be clear to everyone what the market is saying about Smith's value.

What primary or even secondary sources would those be? Are there, indeed, hidden cameras and microphones after all, and you've been holding out on me?

Edited by sturt

What primary or even secondary sources would those be? Are there, indeed, hidden cameras and microphones after all, and you've been holding out on me?

The same sources that reported Dengs ultimatum to the Bulls weeks ago, primarily ESPN. I would say they have more leaguewide contacts than a local beat writer.

It only makes sense for Smith's agents to use ESPN to put additional pressure on the ASG. Sekou may be reluctant to play this game since he has to work closely with the ASG.

Edited by exodus

Expressing my admiration that anyone would have the patience to read down 250-some-comments in the desire to find a Sekou comment buried there. I recognize it's nothing unusual for Sekou to comment on his own blog posting, but it's not something I usually find worth my time and trouble.

The other thing that occurs to me is to remind that the key word here likely is "official," because in the post when he reported the 9 mil, he seemed to indicate there had, in fact, been other discussions of what could be done if such-and-such occurred.... and, again, to remind that Sekou seems to indicate that he has only his own educated guess as to what Smoove is asking. Sure would help if his spies were spying when there had been actual two-way conversations. Maybe his spy is a custodian, looking at paperwork after hours??? Dunno.

it only takes a few seconds to scroll down looking for a blue name.

• Premium Member
The same sources that reported Dengs ultimatum to the Bulls weeks ago, primarily ESPN.

For what it's worth, according to the Chi Sun-Times, Yahoo broke the story on Deng. http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/...-bull22.article

Soooo... thought I'd follow up and go to the mountain to inquire further of the your wisdom and knowledge.... is this ESPN broadcast or something in print from ESPN?

Broadcast? If so, you and I both know that when ESPN breaks news that is not their own, they're typically good to say, "According to a report from Yahoo Sports....", citing, if not the name, at least the organization that beat them to the story. Journalistic courtesy. If someone at ESPN had info on Smith, they're especially good to say that "ESPN's John Hollinger (or whoever) reports that..."

If it's in print, why no link... or at least a name... Stein, Hollinger... we routinely know the names of the people telling us stuff.

Pardon my skepticism, and feel free to correct me, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that you're getting your internet poster intelligence confused with legitimate intelligence. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But since this is and has been the central concern all off-season, I'll take that risk because I think it's worth ensuring that we have reliable, legitimate information here that has been reported by a news source versus information that is not and cannot be substantiated.

All I know is that when you look at the list of Rotoworld's player news, AJC is cited over and over and over again... in fact, one has to go back to the GM search and May 16 to find any report originally attributed to the Bristol Dynasty.

A look at HoopsHype shows that Newsday disputes Sekou's report, saying that there is a $60 million offer on the table for an unspecified number of years.

Please... by all means... if you have better information than that and can cite it this time, let us know. If not, I'll find it my heart to understand.

Pardon my skepticism, and feel free to correct me, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that you're getting your internet poster intelligence confused with legitimate intelligence.

which is exactly why i didn't bother posting any links. In your mind legitimate intelligence doesn't exist on the internet. You just dismiss it all, unless of course you happen to agree with it.

Anyway here are a couple which you will surely dismiss.

From Chiss Broussard's blog

The Hawks are willing to pay Smith $57 million over six years (not quite the $60 million I wrote a few days ago). That's only $9.5 million per year.

Atlanta realizes Smith has no leverage (I'm told Europe is not on his radar), and while one could argue the Hawks are being smart financially, they're screwing up by creating bad blood with one of their main cogs.

I was on the conference call with Childress yesterday as he explained his decision to go to Europe. Childress made it clear that the Hawks' seeming indifference toward re-signing him, their hardball tactics and their slow pace during negotiations pushed him overseas. (Sure the money was huge, but Childress may not have even gotten to that point if the Hawks had handled things differently.)

Smith, who's much more valuable than Childress, feels the same way.

He wants $12 million a year. His position is that Philly was willing to pay him close to that until Elton Brand became available. And word around the league is that the L.A. Clippers were willing to give Smith $13 million a year before realizing they could get Marcus Camby for three jock straps and a pair of beat-up Air Force Ones.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...broussard_chris

Marc Stein

Josh Smith's increasing reluctance to return to the Atlanta Hawks has little to do with Mike Woodson, despite repeated media suggestions that Smith is eager to play for a new coach.

Smith and Woodson are fine, one confidante insists. Smith's frustration with the Hawks is the slow-moving state of negotiations, with Smith apparently still waiting for a serious contract proposal nearly three weeks into free agency

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/stor...BA-Notes-080719

SAS on TV.

Smith stated that Josh Smith was offered a contract of 6 yrs worth $60 million dollars guaranteed. With incentives the would deal worth over $70 million and he turned it down. He is said to be looking for a deal that would pay him at least $12 million per season or he would accept the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted FA the following season

• Premium Member
which is exactly why i didn't bother posting any links. In your mind legitimate intelligence doesn't exist on the internet. You just dismiss it all, unless of course you happen to agree with it.

Anyway here are a couple which you will surely dismiss.

From Chiss Broussard's blog

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?...broussard_chris

Marc Stein

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/stor...BA-Notes-080719

SAS on TV.

Smith stated that Josh Smith was offered a contract of 6 yrs worth $60 million dollars guaranteed. With incentives the would deal worth over $70 million and he turned it down. He is said to be looking for a deal that would pay him at least $12 million per season or he would accept the qualifying offer and become an unrestricted FA the following season

I'm glad I asked... and it confirms my assertion that Smith is negotiating with PHI and LAC offers as his basis of discussion.

So.... there seem to be the elements here for a deal to be struck, particularly now that Okafor has signed. One option would be $11 mil/yr, plus a package of likely and less likely incentives that could take it somewhat above $12 mil. If that's not exactly it, then think in terms of how player or team options may make it more attractive.

Edited by sturt

• Premium Member
If the ASG doesn't up their offer it really doesn't matter what Smith is using to determine his worth. The market has spoken pretty clearly and $9-10 million/yr won't get it done.

Damn.

(chuckle)

Surely, you aren't blind to the point that you can write the EXACT same two sentences, insert Smith for ASG, ASG for Smith, and $13-14 million/yr instead of $9-10 million/yr.... both assertions are EXACTLY as valid as one another.

Damn.

(chuckle)

Surely, you aren't blind to the point that you can write the EXACT same two sentences, insert Smith for ASG, ASG for Smith, and $13-14 million/yr instead of $9-10 million/yr.... both assertions are EXACTLY as valid as one another.

I must have missed the article saying Smith was asking for $13-14 million/yr. Link please.

• Premium Member
I must have missed the article saying Smith was asking for $13-14 million/yr. Link please.

I should have said $12 mil. Sorry. The point still stands, though, and that Smith is negotiating from a "look what I would have gotten from PHI or LAC" perspective.

One is made to wonder if the real question here is base vs. incentives... that the Hawks are willing to give him about what he wants, but with some incentives built in, while Smoove wants it all as base. Any reason that theory doesn't fly?

I should have said $12 mil. Sorry. The point still stands, though, and that Smith is negotiating from a "look what I would have gotten from PHI or LAC" perspective.

One is made to wonder if the real question here is base vs. incentives... that the Hawks are willing to give him about what he wants,but with some incentives built in, while Smoove wants it all as base. Any reason that theory doesn't fly?

Philly apparently wasn't offering as much as we thought if the article is to be believed. The Clipps were offering $13 million, not $14 million or more. Since Smith is a RFA obviously the Clipps would have to offer more than what the ASG would be willing to match. You can't make a reasonable offer to a RFA and expect to lure them away from the team with their rights.

If you are Smith's agent would you be quick to agree on a heavily incentive based contract? After all incentives might not be met and your commission might be affected as a result.

I would say agents are opposed to incentives in general.