• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Prince Or Howard The Better Wing Compliment Next To Jj ?

coachx

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_howard/career_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tayshaun_pri...reer_stats.html

First let me say that I want Smoove to say. However, if he is traded these are the 2 most talented guys being rumored. I am trying to figure out which one would compliment JJ the best ? Which one makes the Hawks team better based on playing with Bibby, JJ, Marvin, Horford, ZaZa, Evans, and Law.

Howard's profile list him at 6'5''. I could swear he was at least 6'7'' or even 6'8''. If 6'5'' is legit, then it really pushes me towards Prince. (Not to mention Amir Johnson is included in the Prince trade too).

Is Prince or Howard the better wing compliment next to JJ ?

I like Prince's defense and IQ. He is an excellent passer who could probably help get Horford some easy buckets and find Bibby and JJ open on the perimeter.

I like Howard's ability to "ball." For lack of a better word. Is he really just 6'5''. That is the main thing holding me up on him. I could swear he looked taller then 6'5''.

Thoughts and opinions on these 2 ?

Edited by coachx

I would say Prince...you noticed last year without JJ our offense would fall apart alot of times on court. Prince brings that calm aspect to the game, he can handle from the perimeter and set guys up...and has everything you could want from a veteran.

I havent watched a ton of Howard however, i know hes really athletic, which makes him seem bigger than he really is. Hes a tough guy to project, i dont know how motivated he would be outside of Dallas...He makes me think of Maggette geared a little more to defense than to offense.

Either complimented with a true PF like Amir/Maxiell or Bass would give us some depth to recoup the loss of smoove.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/josh_howard/career_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tayshaun_pri...reer_stats.html

First let me say that I want Smoove to say. However, if he is traded these are the 2 most talented guys being rumored. I am trying to figure out which one would compliment JJ the best ? Which one makes the Hawks team better based on playing with Bibby, JJ, Marvin, Horford, ZaZa, Evans, and Law.

Howard's profile list him at 6'5''. I could swear he was at least 6'7'' or even 6'8''. If 6'5'' is legit, then it really pushes me towards Prince. (Not to mention Amir Johnson is included in the Prince trade too).

Is Prince or Howard the better wing compliment next to JJ ?

I like Prince's defense and IQ. He is an excellent passer who could probably help get Horford some easy buckets and find Bibby and JJ open on the perimeter.

I like Howard's ability to "ball." For lack of a better word. Is he really just 6'5''. That is the main thing holding me up on him. I could swear he looked taller then 6'5''.

Thoughts and opinions on these 2 ?

Assuming these rumors have any truth to them I think you also have to consider the entire rumor. Would you rather have Prince/Amir (or Maxiell) or Howard/Bass. Amir seems to have the most 'potential' but Maxiell and Bass are producing now for playoff teams. I think Prince and Howard both are paid pretty fairly and well into the future. I like Prince's versatile game but I also like Howard's ability to be a go-to scorer some nights when JJ might not be feeling it. If Marvin/Horford were to reach their offensive potential sooner than later I might be inclined to go with Prince. He's a better shotblocker/defender than Howard and that is what we are losing if Smith leaves.

Another variable I have to consider is if the trade offers are pretty similar I'd choose to send him out West.

Edited by jezmund

I wouldn't necessarily say Prince is the better defender. Josh Howard was one of the premier perimeter defenders the season before last, but his defense went down slightly as he became the focus of the offense. Josh Howard is much more gifted offensively, and he'd definitely be the better compliment to JJ, in my opinion.

I think Prince is a better fit. He and Woody have worked together before. He fits Woody's preferred method of play on offense and defense. He is a playoff Vet that has won a title. Howard is more athletic, but what exactly would he bring to make us better?

a lot more scoring

you really think he'd get the same numbers with the Hawks? I doubt it. Let's assume if we let Smith go we are thinking of featuring Horford more. Between him and JJ and Bibby getting his shots, Howard isn't going to score as much.

@sultanofatl

If Josh Howard comes here, he's automatically the second option. His offensive game is way more advanced than everyone on the team not named Joe. Horford, Marvin, Bibby, and anyone else you could name would instantly take back seat to this guy.

and good defense.

Prince is one of the better wing defenders in the league and a decent shot blocker as well. He doesn't have the big shot blocking numbers because he plays within the system and usually doesn't let his man beat him, but we've all seen him make several big blocks in the playoffs the past few years. Granted, he's nowhere near the shot blocker that Smoove is, but I think Prince is a better defender than Howard.

I think Howard has the advantage with his strength, quickness and ball handling ability and Prince has the advantage with his BBIQ and defensive ability.

I think that if I had to choose between Howard and Prince I would take Howard, but if Amir Johnson and Brandon Bass are included in the deals I would rather have the Pistons combo ... but I'd probably deal with the Mavs first since I'd rather send Josh Smith to the Western Conference.

@sultanofatl

If Josh Howard comes here, he's automatically the second option. His offensive game is way more advanced than everyone on the team not named Joe. Horford, Marvin, Bibby, and anyone else you could name would instantly take back seat to this guy.

Agreed, he would definitely be our 2nd option.

I'd rather have Dallas' package, because Brandon Bass is a much better player than Amir Johnson right now. It could be a few years before Amir Johnson is ready to contribute big minutes. Brandon Bass has already had his "coming out party" in the playoffs last year. He's got a decent shot, and he rebounds aggressively. Not to mention, like you said, if we trade with Dallas we only see Smith 2 times a year.

I'd rather have Dallas' package, because Brandon Bass is a much better player than Amir Johnson right now. It could be a few years before Amir Johnson is ready to contribute big minutes. Brandon Bass has already had his "coming out party" in the playoffs last year. He's got a decent shot, and he rebounds aggressively. Not to mention, like you said, if we trade with Dallas we only see Smith 2 times a year.

I probably like Josh Howard a little better than Prince, but not by much. I'd WAY rather get Amir than Bass, though, so I'd rather do a deal with the Pistons.

I have to go with the Price/Johnson combo.

Josh Howard is certainly the better scorer out of the Prince/Howard pairings. However, Prince brings championship experience, steller defense, and can come off the bench. Howard demonstrated last year that he just wasn't that interested in the playoffs. Now that could be because of some situation in Dallas, but once a guy turns it off in the playoffs, you really have to question his decission making going forward.

The second part of the trades, Johnson vs. Bass, you have to go with Johnson all the way. Since Amir is now nearing 7 feet, you have to make the trade for him. Bass goes 6'8" and around 240. Johnson allows the Hawks to move Horford to PF. Bass comes over and is another bench player.

Think of the starting lineups:

If the Howard/Bass trade is made, then you have either Bass as a starting PF with Marvin coming off the bench (Horford stays at center). Or you have Marvin starting at PF and Howard/JJ playing SG/SF spots.

In the Pistons deal you at least get a guy that looks like he might be ready to split time with Zaza and Morris at center, allowing Horford to start and play most of his minutes at PF.

I think I would rather take the chances on a Johnson/Zaza/Morris center combo than a Horford/Zaza/Morris combo.

It appears to me that no matter which trade is made, Gearon has to make another move to balance out the roster.

I have to go with the Price/Johnson combo.

Josh Howard is certainly the better scorer out of the Prince/Howard pairings. However, Prince brings championship experience, steller defense, and can come off the bench. Howard demonstrated last year that he just wasn't that interested in the playoffs. Now that could be because of some situation in Dallas, but once a guy turns it off in the playoffs, you really have to question his decission making going forward.

The second part of the trades, Johnson vs. Bass, you have to go with Johnson all the way. Since Amir is now nearing 7 feet, you have to make the trade for him. Bass goes 6'8" and around 240. Johnson allows the Hawks to move Horford to PF. Bass comes over and is another bench player.

Think of the starting lineups:

If the Howard/Bass trade is made, then you have either Bass as a starting PF with Marvin coming off the bench (Horford stays at center). Or you have Marvin starting at PF and Howard/JJ playing SG/SF spots.

In the Pistons deal you at least get a guy that looks like he might be ready to split time with Zaza and Morris at center, allowing Horford to start and play most of his minutes at PF.

I think I would rather take the chances on a Johnson/Zaza/Morris center combo than a Horford/Zaza/Morris combo.

It appears to me that no matter which trade is made, Gearon has to make another move to balance out the roster.

I'm sorry man. I just don't see why people are raving over Amir Johnson. If we get him, he definitely would be fighting with Randolph Morris for a spot in the rotation. He isn't good enough to start and is always in foul trouble. It could be a few years before he is skilled enough to earn starter's minutes. Brandon Bass is WAY more skilled than Amir Johnson, and is fairly athletic. If we were to give him 30 minutes a game, I could see him averaged 12/8, which is great from a backup PF. Amir Johnson might foul out with 30 minutes a game. We don't need another project center that we've got to wait to develop (we've got Morris), but we do need a backup PF in a situation where Smith gets traded.