• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our New Starting Center

DJlaysitup

Seriously - it's Marvin!

Stay with me before criticizing. Marvin is now 6'9"-245. He is strong and can move (a bit)...and like Laimbeer...he can hit a mid-range jumper. AL is a great looking PF and JS is a great SF (if he doen't shoot too many threes)...so we just use em all. Phuck Zaza. Granted Marvin might be at a dis-advantage physically against some guys - but he has AH and Smoove to cover for the occasional mistake. Other teams have 6'9" centers - and 245 isn't a bad weight - plus he would be able to plant those huge feet of his. He's totally coachable so he would do it.

PG - Bibby/Acie

SG - JJ/Evans

SF - Smoove/J. Rich

PF - Al Horford/Zaza

C - Marvin/Zaza

Their are only a few guys who Marvin would be worried about - generally he could hold his own against guys like Okur/Curry/etc.....Howard would be a problem but wtf - JS goes "off" against Howard anyways.

Edited by DJlaysitup

LOL even if we DID try that, the opposing center would still guard Horford. You could line up Tyson Chandler at PG and put Chris Paul at Center, but the defensive center will still guard Chandler and the PG will guard Paul. It's not going to work, that's IF you're actually serious about this.

with marvin being 6'9 245 and "added range" he is a lot more al harrington now. not really a center but more of a 4/3 combo forward, though Golden State did put Harrington at Center in a run and gun style of play.

Youve been drinking what the Duke is drinking havent you? lol The sad part is if Marvin does bulk up then we will have 3 starting pf's in our lineup. Still it would be nice if Marv can be a better rebounder. The kid is a very good defender vs sf's. We cant afford to lose that. Smith would just let the quicker guys get by him and try to block from behind.

Edited by NJHAWK

LOL even if we DID try that, the opposing center would still guard Horford. You could line up Tyson Chandler at PG and put Chris Paul at Center, but the defensive center will still guard Chandler and the PG will guard Paul. It's not going to work, that's IF you're actually serious about this.

I am "flat arsed" serious. WTF could Chandler do against Marvin if he really has gotten stronger. Chandler is about as skilled as me. So Marvin would be 3 inches shorte...he does have a center's butt.. It's not a 1-1 league anymore...variances of the zone are now legal. Hell, Magic did it. Of course I'm not equating MW to M....but the overall center situation is weak in the EC....it could be that playing center (where he likely did in HS) would make it easier on him....mentally...my son plays scrum 1/2 at 165 pounds and always says that he doesn't mind going against 190-200 pounders (of course that is Rugby...a tougher sport).

with marvin being 6'9 245 and "added range" he is a lot more al harrington now. not really a center but more of a 4/3 combo forward, though Golden State did put Harrington at Center in a run and gun style of play.

The thing is Al Has one hell of a post game on offense. Marv doesnt have that, as a matter of fact no Hawk has that.

I am "flat arsed" serious. WTF could Chandler do against Marvin if he really has gotten stronger. Chandler is about as skilled as me. So Marvin would be 3 inches shorte...he does have a center's butt.. It's not a 1-1 league anymore...variances of the zone are now legal. Hell, Magic did it. Of course I'm not equating MW to M....but the overall center situation is weak in the EC....it could be that playing center (where he likely did in HS) would make it easier on him....mentally...my son plays scrum 1/2 at 165 pounds and always says that he doesn't mind going against 190-200 pounders (of course that is Rugby...a tougher sport).

We only play Chandler 2 times a year. :sad:

We only play Chandler 2 times a year. :sad:

OK NJ....if Marvin has really bulked up...and I've never doubted his guts...what EC centers would abuse him with JS and AH as his wing men?

P.S....we really need to get that Iranian Dude....granted he would get a lot of those highlight shots blocked back in his face - but you can't teach size.

He would be an excellent bacup to Marvin at Center.

Edited by DJlaysitup

OK NJ....if Marvin has really bulked up...and I've never doubted his guts...what EC centers would abuse him with JS and AH as his wing men?

I cant think of 1 center with Marvs size and skill set. I think he guards sf's very well and we really dont have anyone else to guard them save JJ and West. JJ will be too busy with 2 guards and West gets no minutes.

Seriously - it's Marvin!

Stay with me before criticizing. Marvin is now 6'9"-245. He is strong and can move (a bit)...and like Laimbeer...he can hit a mid-range jumper. AL is a great looking PF and JS is a great SF (if he doen't shoot too many threes)...so we just use em all. Phuck Zaza. Granted Marvin might be at a dis-advantage physically against some guys - but he has AH and Smoove to cover for the occasional mistake. Other teams have 6'9" centers - and 245 isn't a bad weight - plus he would be able to plant those huge feet of his. He's totally coachable so he would do it.

PG - Bibby/Acie

SG - JJ/Evans

SF - Smoove/J. Rich

PF - Al Horford/Zaza

C - Marvin/Zaza

Their are only a few guys who Marvin would be worried about - generally he could hold his own against guys like Okur/Curry/etc.....Howard would be a problem but wtf - JS goes "off" against Howard anyways.

I assume you are kidding?

JJ is probably still heavier and and for sure stronger than Marvin or JSmoove. It's nice having guys that we can rotate on defense to cover others. None of our guys including Horford can really cover a dominant center so we just double team and rotate. That's why we also need a big point like Acie.

You must not have understood my example. Even if we called Marvin the "Center", the opposing center would not guard him, he would guard Horford. It's common sense, because you can guard anyone on the floor, and the defense will guard the positions that give them the best chance to win. Putting a center on Marvin doesn't give an opposing team the best chance to win, therefore the SF would of course guard him. It's not that difficult.

Edited by AtLaS

• Premium Member
You must not have understood my example. Even if we called Marvin the "Center", the opposing center would not guard him, he would guard Horford. It's common sense, because you can guard anyone on the floor, and the defense will guard the positions that give them the best chance to win. Putting a center on Marvin doesn't give an opposing team the best chance to win, therefore the SF would of course guard him. It's not that difficult.

This is one of the dumbest threads in the history of Hawksquawk! It just illistrates how casual Atlanta fans are even on this message board.

This thread is not that DUMB or at least not as dumb as alot of threads. While I dont agree with DJ's point it is based on HOW BULKED UP Marv is. I just think Marv is better at guarding sf's and has sf skill sets on offense. By the way DJ IS NOT A CASUAL HAWKS FAN. If Marv is 245 like he says then he is pretty much the same height and weight as the guy who plays center for us now. Horford is just a way better rebounder and more athletic in close around the basket.

Edited by NJHAWK