• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bold Prediction

tmac13

I went back and watched some Kentucky vs Florida games where Morris was playing against Noah and Horford. I am being completely honest when I say Morris clearly looked like the most talented bigman on the floor. Offensively he was much better around the basket than Noah or Horf. I watched some of the old clips of Morris vs Howard back in highschool and Morris looked every bit as good as Howard at that point.

I am not saying Morris is going to be as good as Howard or even Horf but I am saying that if he works hard and keeps his mind right this guy can be a pretty good center. He made a bad choice to play for Tubby Smith who has a system that doesn't let individual talent shine. Morris made an even bigger mistake going to the Knicks playing for an idiot like Isiah and being stuck on the bench behind guys like Curry and Randolf. Morris is a guy with the reputation of being a chameleon. He sort of adapts his work ethic and personality to those around him so obviously the Knicks were a horrible match for him. Coming home to Atlanta and playing with guys like Horford, JJ and Bibby, along with an intense guy like Smoove who is a close friend may be the recipe for Morris to finally play up to his talent. Just watching his talent makes me think the Hawks may have found a diamond in the rough.

I wish, but I have no faith this will be the case. I've seen the story too many times with the Hawks, from D Hancock to Chris Washburn to Priest Lauderdale. "Oh we got this washed up/bust guy and look this might be the place where it all clicks"

I went back and watched some Kentucky vs Florida games where Morris was playing against Noah and Horford. I am being completely honest when I say Morris clearly looked like the most talented bigman on the floor. Offensively he was much better around the basket than Noah or Horf. I watched some of the old clips of Morris vs Howard back in highschool and Morris looked every bit as good as Howard at that point.

I am not saying Morris is going to be as good as Howard or even Horf but I am saying that if he works hard and keeps his mind right this guy can be a pretty good center. He made a bad choice to play for Tubby Smith who has a system that doesn't let individual talent shine. Morris made an even bigger mistake going to the Knicks playing for an idiot like Isiah and being stuck on the bench behind guys like Curry and Randolf. Morris is a guy with the reputation of being a chameleon. He sort of adapts his work ethic and personality to those around him so obviously the Knicks were a horrible match for him. Coming home to Atlanta and playing with guys like Horford, JJ and Bibby, along with an intense guy like Smoove who is a close friend may be the recipe for Morris to finally play up to his talent. Just watching his talent makes me think the Hawks may have found a diamond in the rough.

I'll say this, he has a better chance than most guys who come in and have absolute garbage stats. He came midway through that first season and didn't have time to practice with the team and then in the second season he was just too far back on the depth chart with all those other bigs.

Given how little depth the Hawks have up front he has every opportunity to play meaningful minutes. Whether he is dedicated enough and try hard enough it is all up to him. History tells us that undermotivated big men generally do not have a history of changing though (see e.g., Stanley Roberts, Oliver Miller, Chris Washburn, Jerome James, etc.).

Given how little depth the Hawks have up front he has every opportunity to play meaningful minutes. Whether he is dedicated enough and try hard enough it is all up to him. History tells us that undermotivated big men generally do not have a history of changing though (see e.g., Stanley Roberts, Oliver Miller, Chris Washburn, Jerome James, etc.).

Not sure if that applies to Morris, he was more underused than undermotivated. Just look at Brad Miller, he was underused his first couple of years and then he turned out allright. Diop started off horrible but has found his niche as a rebounder and shotblocker. History tells us two stories, not just one.

I am not holding my breatht that Morris will be a world beater, but if he gives us solid production from the bench then the Hawks have definately won the gamble. Actually, IMO, Morris isn't a gamble at all. He's a roster player that costs next to nothing.

As a Hawks fan, I hope he does great. As a pragmatic observer, I don't expect much.

Edited by frosgrim

Yeah, I think his situation is different than some other flop big guys, because A.) He came in late that first season, and was on a horribly run team, and B.) He's friends with Smith.

I don't have any expectations, but I think he has a better chance to do something than your average big guy who's never done anything.

:magnifier:

Different strokes for different folks. Everyone is an individual - That's why we're called individuals.

If no one else believes in him, it would be hard for him to believe in himself. Coming in late, then

not really being used. Being buried down at the end of the bench all the next season. That's

enough to alter his ego.

A new team. A new beginning. Having a close friend on the new team. Feeling needed. All these

things add up to a much better frame of mind for this young man. A lot of any team sport is mental.

Knowing that your team believes in you - Are counting on you to contribute - Need you to do the

things that you yourself know that you are capable of doing - All this can add up to a totally different

player than what has been seen before.

Not saying all this is going to happen. Just saying, it's possible. And, if it does, Hawks are a winner

on this signing. If it doesn't, his being on the roster doesn't cost THAT much. Looks like a

win - win case for both him and his new team, the Atlanta Hawks.

GO HAWKS!!!!

And NY is the worst place to play, as far as fans and pressure. There was so much crap around that team. I thought it was a poor choice when he went there.

Back in Atl he is in familiar surroundings and with people he knows. I think he's still a kid that has suffered a couple blows, going back to missing games at KY because of his trips to work out, not getting drafted. he has had a solid year to get his act together. He's hoping this is it.

• Moderators

Morris has some size and some skill but is not a hard nosed big man. That means he brings similar skills to the table as do Curry and Randolph. That is why he couldn't get time with the Knicks, IMO. He joined a team that was pretty stacked with soft big men and they needed Lee's rebounding, etc. more than what Morris brought to the table. I don't think he is the next Brad Miller by any means but he could develop into a quality bench big man, IMO. Don't expect big things right away but look for him to develop into a quality rotation player.