Shockley Stays

TnDawg

:beer: I am happy DJ is getting a chance to stay with the team......He is exactly the type of player the Falcons claimed to want to rebuild around.....team first. He hasn't gotten a lot of breaks both in college and the Pros, as far as other QBs being ahead of him. He also missed chances because of injuries....however I believe he has the talent to succeed in this league and will end up as the #2 guy.

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons today made 22 roster moves to reach the NFL’s mandatory 53-player limit.

“We are pleased about our roster heading into the 2008 season,” said General Manager Thomas Dimitroff. “I’m satisfied with the process we went through to get to this point including OTAs, mini-camp, training camp and the preseason. Our coaching staff did a good job guiding our players over the past five months and I’m very proud of the team our staff put together. I’m looking forward to starting the regular season.”

The Falcons waived: OL D’Anthony Batiste, S Eric Brock, OL Michael Butterworth, S Deke Cooper, C Doug Datish, DE Willie Evans, QB Joey Harrington, CB Wilrey Fontenot, OL Kynan Forney, DE Brandon Miller, DT Rashad Moore, OL Terrance Pennington, LB Mickey Pimentel, TE Marcus Pollard, CB Glenn Sharpe, DT Montavious Stanley, S Daren Stone, LB Cameron Vaughn, WR Eric Weems, WR Chandler Williams, TE Keith Zinger and placed RB Thomas Brown on injured reserve.

“It’s always difficult to release players knowing how hard everyone in the locker room has worked,” said Head Coach Mike Smith. “I feel good about the make-up of the 2008 Atlanta Falcons and I’m looking forward to coaching these players. I’m excited to get back to the practice field on Monday to continue preparing for the season opener against Detroit.”

Atlanta may also establish up to a nine-player practice squad, including International practice squad player, Noriaki Kinoshita, starting on Sunday, August 31.

The Falcons and first-year Head Coach Mike Smith finished the 2008 preseason with a 2-2 record following a victory against the Baltimore Ravens last Thursday night. Atlanta will host the Detroit Lions in the regular season opener at the newly renovated Georgia Dome on Sunday, September 7. Game time is set for 1:00 p.m.

Got this off the teams website....in its entirety....so no link :-)

• Premium Member

Congrats to DJ! He looked pretty darn good after his rough start Thursday night. He has a great arm and nice footwork. He still has time to develop at the age of 25 and I hope he takes advantage of any opportunity that may come his way. You can't help but cheer for the guy.

I like DJ's arm...he can whip the ball.

Living out in Denver when Elway won his 2 Superbowls, I realized something. Great QBs instill fear on the defense. Elway threw Darts - bullets - there was no time to react.

I remember the game against Pittsburgh when they needed a 1st down to finish the game. Shannon Sharpe lined up on the wrong side in a shotgun formation. Elway just told him (as he went to the other side)....just get open. He did and Elway threw a Dart. Elway always appreciated Sharpe because he could catch 100 mph passes.

I remember there were times whens sports radio dudes were saying that Elway's passes were "un-catchable"....he threw the ball too hard/fast. I figured - get better catchers....which they did.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I like him bringing these guys in that played for him in Jx. He's getting his kind of guys around him and they can play hard nose football.

One huge difference this year is that they have created some confidence in the coaching staff and a "can do" attitude that has not been there in a few years.

• 2 weeks later...
Harrington is the worst QB in the NFL. The only reason tems take a chance on him is because were he was drafted and did at Oregon. He is just plain terrible.

Hey, Dolfan, where's your argument at? You're not going to try to persuade someone else into your "He has all the tools to be a successful qb" way of thinking? :jeer: