• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Falcons season opener

Eddielives

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didn't need to "hide" him and he played better than "well". The pass he made to Jenkins was a perfect pass Vick could never make in games.

I'm sure there will be games he has to throw more than they run...

When you rush for 325+ sum odd yards, you'll be stupid to call passing plays.

What do you all think the record will be this year?

• Moderators
^Saying Vick couldn't make that pass is a bit extreme... Vick has had great passing plays over his career.

Not that many, though. I think he has 2 300 yard passing days in his career and that the vast majority of his games are under 200 yards passing.

• Moderators
Uh, he said plays not days.

I know. However, there aren't that many amazing passing plays when you are passing for 150 yards per game. For example, through Vick's first three seasons he had 3 passing plays > 50 yards.

Vick only had one passing play longer than Matt Ryan's first pass in his entire career.

The guy had a gun for an arm, just not the touch or the receiving talent to make for a lot of great "passing" plays. On the other hand, he was easily the most exciting QB I have ever seen and some of his scramble/passes were absolutely breathtaking to watch.

Not that many, though. I think he has 2 300 yard passing days in his career and that the vast majority of his games are under 200 yards passing.

He had about 27 passing plays where it resulted in 40+ yards... you'd think one of those could rival the Matt Ryan's TD throws.

Edited by DeerPark

I know. However, there aren't that many amazing passing plays when you are passing for 150 yards per game. For example, through Vick's first three seasons he had 3 passing plays > 50 yards.

Vick only had one passing play longer than Matt Ryan's first pass in his entire career.

The guy had a gun for an arm, just not the touch or the receiving talent to make for a lot of great "passing" plays. On the other hand, he was easily the most exciting QB I have ever seen and some of his scramble/passes were absolutely breathtaking to watch.

Vick made throws OCCASIONALLY that very few QB's could EVER make. The problem was that he was incredibly inconsistent. He could have a guy running wide open and over throw him or he could throw it FAR to hard when he was in close proximity to the receiver. Vick's appeal was that he was a playmaker with both his arm and his legs and he could make a spectacular play at any time from anywhere on the field.

I don't think there is any question that Ryan is already a FAR more accurate OB than Vick was but time will tell if he will be able to make all the required throws over time. I think his arm strength is average for an NFL QB and I dont know if I want to see him throwing a lot of deep outs. Still, if he can manage the game and play to his strengths, I think he has the makings of an exceptional, Pro Bowl caliber QB.

Ryan is "FAR" more accurate based on what? One day where he made a few nice throws? No one wants Ryan to succeed more than I do (maybe his parents), but let him play more than one game before we make these claims. Honestly that will probably be the easiest game he plays in his career.

• Moderators
Ryan is "FAR" more accurate based on what? One day where he made a few nice throws? No one wants Ryan to succeed more than I do (maybe his parents), but let him play more than one game before we make these claims. Honestly that will probably be the easiest game he plays in his career.

I agree it is unproven. Being more accurate than Vick is a fairly low bar to pass, but give the guy room to grow. He will definitely have some rough days if his INTs at Boston College are any indication.

• Moderators
Vick made throws OCCASIONALLY that very few QB's could EVER make. The problem was that he was incredibly inconsistent. He could have a guy running wide open and over throw him or he could throw it FAR too hard when he was in close proximity to the receiver. Vick's appeal was that he was a playmaker with both his arm and his legs and he could make a spectacular play at any time from anywhere on the field.

I think that is dead on.

The Falcons should run the ball on Sunday. Then they should run the ball again. Then they should run the ball some more.

I don't know if that will work as well this week. Detroit's defense is crap. Not taking anything away from Turner or Norwood, but they weren't going up against a very formidable defensive line. Tampa is much better.

I don't know if that will work as well this week. Detroit's defense is crap. Not taking anything away from Turner or Norwood, but they weren't going up against a very formidable defensive line. Tampa is much better.

Running the ball is still the way to go though. We have to run them out of that cover two for Ryan to have a chance to be successful.

I think he's a lightning rod, a paid desenter. Besides that I think he is a jerk.

Yeah, he's paid to go against the grain. Sometimes, just sometimes what he says is actually in line with my own opinion. Ok, and he's a jerk. I just know I got tired of AJC blogs, because T. Moore could write 'The sky is blue, the grass is green.' and people would still dog him. He's the guy all the readers love to hate, even when he's not even that bad.

Reggie Bush had a great day against Tampa, I believe Turner and Norwood (Turnwood? Burnwood? Uh...Norner?) are both better. We're going to need to have the running game going or the Bucs will make Ryan's life miserable. Sunday will be a good indication of where we're at.