Josh Smith's trade value.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Now that we have a resigned Josh Smith.

If you had your druthers... What one player do you feel is Josh Smith's equal in terms of value to a team.

Meaning...

A guy who you could trade Smith for and a few days later trade Back for Smith and either time you don't feel like you've lost in the trade.

• Admin

If you had your druthers... What one player do you feel is Josh Smith's equal in terms of value to a team.

Meaning...

A guy who you could trade Smith for and a few days later trade Back for Smith and either time you don't feel like you've lost in the trade.

Interesting question....Al Jefferson? LaMarcus Aldridge?

• Admin
Well, it would have to be a young center with good (not great, or they wouldn't trade him) upside.

I'd say Andrew Bogut, Chris Kaman, Andris Biedrins, Tyson Chandler, and Samuel Dalembert are the only ones worthy of discussion.

I would do those trades except for Daly.

• Premium Member
Interesting question....Al Jefferson? LaMarcus Aldridge?

I don't think I would trade LaMarcus Aldridge for Smoove.

Al Jefferson neither.

If we had LaMarcus Aldridge and Smoove were on the blocks, I wouldn't want him.

Just like I don't want to trade Joe Johnson for Micheal Redd. I just like JJ better.

• Premium Member
Well, it would have to be a young center with good (not great, or they wouldn't trade him) upside.

I'd say Andrew Bogut, Chris Kaman, Andris Biedrins, Tyson Chandler, and Samuel Dalembert are the only ones worthy of discussion.

Smoove for Andrew Bogut.

What you really trade Smoove for Bogut?

If Bogut pissed of the GM at Milwaukee and had to be traded immediately and they liked what they saw in Smoove, would you really do that deal??

I think we would definitely become more traditional, but our defense would struggle.

• Moderators
I don't think I would trade LaMarcus Aldridge for Smoove.

Al Jefferson neither.

If we had LaMarcus Aldridge and Smoove were on the blocks, I wouldn't want him.

If I had Jefferson, I wouldn't deal him for Josh Smith but I don't know that I would deal Smith for him either. That is really close. I guess it depends on the team.

I would,however, trade Aldridge to get Smoove every time. I like Aldridge. He is a good young player. I just don't think he will ever have Smoove's impact. He is a secondary type of player in that I don't think he has the desire to ever be a lead guy on a team.

• Premium Member
If I had Jefferson, I wouldn't deal him for Josh Smith but I don't know that I would deal Smith for him either. That is really close. I guess it depends on the team.

I would,however, trade Aldridge to get Smoove every time. I like Aldridge. He is a good young player. I just don't think he will ever have Smoove's impact. He is a secondary type of player in that I don't think he has the desire to ever be a lead guy on a team.

Wow, that's an interesting take. My thought is that of all the bigs that have come out recently, this guy is the most skilled. I would love what you mean by "Secondary type". I mean because in many ways, when you look at our team, Smoove is that... if you're talking about a guy who is a "complementary player".

Meaning...

Assuming that money is not an issue in this deal, and only looking at it from Atlanta's side (meaning it looks like a wash from our viewpoint, but might not from the other teams), I can only think of 4 players that would even come into play: Aldridge, Jefferson, Okafur and Beasley. Each of these guys has an advantage over Smith in certain categories, while Smith has advantages over each of these guys in others. I wouldn't fell ripped off if a one of these trades went down, but none of them are really going to have a dramatic change on where the Hawks end op in the standings for the next couple of years (although Beasley might have the most impact down the road).

I'm not sure any of the other teams would be inclined to make these trades, either due ot financial reasons ro team make-up, but from the Hawks perspective, these seem to be close to washes.

• Moderators
Wow, that's an interesting take. My thought is that of all the bigs that have come out recently, this guy is the most skilled. I would love what you mean by "Secondary type". I mean because in many ways, when you look at our team, Smoove is that... if you're talking about a guy who is a "complementary player".

Don't get me wrong...I like Aldridge. I was praying he would fall to us in the draft instead of Shelden. That said, I don't see the desire to get dirty when I watch him play. He is very skilled and a fine player but I don't see the effort, desire or willingness to bang that I think you need to become a real standout. For that reason, I'd rather have Horford than Aldridge. With Smoove, he is not a physical interior player but he has the desire and drive. I think that will separate him from Aldridge in terms of their impact in the league -- in Smoove's favor.

I guess I see Josh as having the ability to be a multiple All-Star and I see Aldrige more as a Horace Grant type of player in terms of impact over their career.

I'm with AHF on this one. LMA isn't the defender or rebounder Smith is and on offense he is almost exclusively a jump shooter. He is a very good jumper shooter, but a jump shooter none the less.

I'd be more willing to trade for Bogut than Aldridge to be completely honest. Bogut isn't as intriguing as Aldridge but he's a more potent defender at C and better shotblocker, he is a better post scorer and rebounder, and he has some nice passing skills to top it all off.

A trade for Dalembert, Chandler, or Biedrins would require some serious tweaking of our offense because for better or worse we ask Smith to create a lot of offense and none of those guys have any one-on-one skills at all.

I like Chandler a lot on D. He doesn't block a ton of shots but he is really tall and has really long arms so he can do the Tim Duncan thing where he just alters shots without having to jump to block them.

Jefferson is probably the guy with the closest approximate value. He's a great rebounder and a legit 20ppg low post scorer. He doesn't have insane upside because he is somewhat limited athletically. He is a very poor defender and although his scoring volume is very high, his efficiency is just decent because he doesn't really overpower guys for easy baskets and he doesn't do a very good job of drawing contact and neither of those things figures to change.