• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dominique Wilkins Joins FSN/SS

frankthetank966

"Dominique Wilkins is the new Hawks analyst on FSN South and SportSouth.

Wilkins, the ninth-leading scorer in NBA history and a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, joins play-by-play announcer Bob Rathbun for 75 Hawks telecasts."

AJC.com

What happened to Steve Smith?

I was just wondering about that myself. That's a shame but hopefully he got a better opportunity elsewhere. Nique must really be just a figurehead for us if he has time to go and be the announcer for our games.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 - 3:17 PM EDT

Dominique Wilkins named FSN’s Atlanta Hawks analyst

Atlanta Business Chronicle

FSN South and SportSouth has hired former Atlanta Hawks standout and NBA Hall-of-Famer Dominique Wilkins as the new Atlanta Hawks analyst.

Wilkins is replacing former analyst Steve Smith, who has taken a position at NBA TV, which has relocated to Atlanta from the NBA's New York-area offices and will be run by Turner Broadcasting System Inc. Wilkins will team up with play-by-play announcer Bob Rathbun for 75 Hawks telecasts on FSN South and SportSouth during the 2008-09 NBA season.

Wilkins was the Hawks LIVE analyst for FSN South and SportSouth during the 2007-08 NBA season and is the vice president of basketball for the Hawks.

“Dominique served as our analyst on the Hawks LIVE post-game show last season and demonstrated an exceptional natural talent as a broadcaster and game analyst,” said Jeff Genthner, senior vice president and general manager of FSN South and SportSouth. “When the opportunity arose to move Dominique courtside, there was no doubt that he was the right person for the position and ready to move into the game broadcaster role.”

The ninth all-time leading scorer in NBA history, Wilkins has been the face of the Atlanta Hawks since he joined the team out of The University of Georgia in 1982. Nicknamed the “Human Highlight Film,” Wilkins finished his career as the Hawks all-time leading scorer and was inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame in 2006.

All contents of this site © American City Business Journals Inc. All rights reserved.

Wilkins is replacing former analyst Steve Smith, who has taken a position at NBA TV, which has relocated to Atlanta from the NBA's New York-area offices and will be run by Turner Broadcasting System Inc.

Hopefully that is a step up for Smith and I hope that he took it as a promotion and that he wasn't forced out here. I'm sure that Nique will do fine as the new analyst, although I don't think he has quite the sense of humor that Smitty had so hopefully the telecasts won't be too dry.

Hopefully that is a step up for Smith and I hope that he took it as a promotion and that he wasn't forced out here. I'm sure that Nique will do fine as the new analyst, although I don't think he has quite the sense of humor that Smitty had so hopefully the telecasts won't be too dry.

I think it is definitely a step up. He will have national exposure rather it is in the studio or courtside. Also he will be working for the league.

A huge step up.

this should be interesting. smitty wasn't the most eloquent person in the biz, but he made up for it with his knowledge of the game and occasional outbursts when someone would do something crazy. I'll give nique the benefit of the doubt, b/c who knows, he might turn out ok...

I really hate it that Smitty is going but its excellent news that he is moving up in the broadcast world. He certainly has the talent to do commentary on ESPN or TNT. Best of luck to you SS.

Dominique has big shoes to fill

I will definitely miss Smitty and his woohooHOOOO! He always added in neat little stories or facts about players he played with/against. It doesn't matter that he's unbiased because working for national TV he won't be doing Hawks games anyway. :beathorse:

I'm sure Nique will do fine but I'd rather see him in the studio than commentating games.