• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Apparent career path/advice

Swish

Hey guys...kind of wanted to throw this out there so y'all could give me some expert advice and/or words of wisdom.

I'm just about 19 years old. I graduated high school a year early and up till now have been working at a local restaurant cooking breakfast, and in the afternoon I have been cashiering/managing a retail "niche" store which sells men's athletic wear and sports apparel. In my off time I have been squawking and taking online college courses with which I have completed two semesters of my freshman year.

My lifelong desire, you know, what I wanted to "grow up to be" was to be a sports journalist. (you can laugh, sure, but I was pretty serious and still am :D) So, at this juncture in life I have been afforded the opportunity to cover Vanderbilt sports and Middle Tennessee high school sports for a smallerish newspaper (20,000 circulation). I can get press passes to most major sporting events (collegiate and possibly Titans). I'll have to take pictures and provide a "beat" and special profile articles and stuff. Apparently the editor thinks I have the skills to do it, I don't know.

Anyway, I guess the question is, do I take this position and work for "x" amount of time, or try to get regular college admission and major in journalism?

I mean, my thinking is I go ahead and go to work and make some dough so I don't have such a big college loan later, plus I am jump started into the field...but I don't know. Advice/words to the wise is appreciated!

• Premium Member

Can't you do both?

I mean, it would be pressure on you.. but search out the better Journalism department of the colleges in the region and see what it will take to get in and how long it will take you to finish. I know a guy who worked as a Journalist for the University's newspaper and finished his Journalism degree at the same time. I think it would be hard work but when you finish, you'd be right where you want to be experience wise and you'd have a degree.

Thanks D--I hadn't entirely thought that through; I am trying to work things out financially because I really have no desire to accumulate a buttload of debt before I turn 21 like my parents did. At any rate, its gonna take some tough decision making here soon.

• Premium Member
Thanks D--I hadn't entirely thought that through; I am trying to work things out financially because I really have no desire to accumulate a buttload of debt before I turn 21 like my parents did. At any rate, its gonna take some tough decision making here soon.

If you seek out a good Journalism program and if you're a good student, they will pay you to go to school.. if not in your first year, then in your 2nd -4th. I don't know much about MTSU... but I'm sure Vandy is doing something. You also have ETSU where you are.. and UTK...(I think)

The thing is to compare reputation with price... stay in the area and work for the paper too.

The fact that you're already into Journalism for a real paper would look sweet to foundations and granting institutions who will pay for your education. Not to mention that there may be some departmental scholarships available if you go to a good Journalism department.

Being that it's journalism AND that computers have changed the way you do business... maybe if it's not to far to travel you can think about University of Missouri-Columbia. I've heard about that place... AND it's only like 350 miles away from Nashville. Study during the week, leave on the weekend.

• Moderators

If you graduate with real work experience you will be well ahead of people with only college. (You need to knock out the college degree, though). If you can swing that and sports journalism is really what you want, that would be ideal - less debt, more experience. Even if you need to take a lighter load that will let you know if this is what you want for your career and that is worth a lot in and of itself.

The key thing with a college educations is the connections you will get. Several sociology and economics papers have shown how crucial networking is for careers. This is true in all areas, from college professors to financial analysts to jazz musicians. Heck, there are several articles that show that the key reasons people from the top schools get good jobs is not because of the education they got there, but the people they met.

Pick a school in the area you want to work in, work hard to impress professors and colleagues, work a bit in the school's newspaper and soon you'll be the first person they will refer to when asked about potential employees.

• Admin

College Degree -- definitely.

Education is a priority to a lot of potential employers. As someone pointed out earlier, you are already a step ahead with a job with the Newspaper...that and a journalism degree will be a great start for you when you begin that true job search.

Yeah in the "Athens of the South" there certainly isn't a shortage of universities. Just within 30 miles of me there is Trevecca Nazarene, Belmont, Lipscomb, Vanderbilt, and about 45 min MTSU, so my options even within commuting range aren't limited. I even heard Memphis has a good journalism school. I guess it will come down to the best education for my finances, sort of--if I can get into a good school on scholarship then I will sacrifice the job I think but if I can do both I'd like to do that as well. Probably be taxing but in the long haul it would be worth it. Anyway, I don't have all the answers unfortunately. Product of age I guess.(Actually, I don't know many people who have all the answers..hmm) Thanks guys for the help!

Yeah in the "Athens of the South" there certainly isn't a shortage of universities. Just within 30 miles of me there is Trevecca Nazarene, Belmont, Lipscomb, Vanderbilt, and about 45 min MTSU, so my options even within commuting range aren't limited. I even heard Memphis has a good journalism school. I guess it will come down to the best education for my finances, sort of--if I can get into a good school on scholarship then I will sacrifice the job I think but if I can do both I'd like to do that as well. Probably be taxing but in the long haul it would be worth it. Anyway, I don't have all the answers unfortunately. Product of age I guess.(Actually, I don't know many people who have all the answers..hmm) Thanks guys for the help!

Swish, no one has answers, just advice and best guesses.

College degrees pay for themselves quickly in terms of potential life time income. I can't remember the exact ratios, but its something in the neighborhood of 5 to 1 for BA vs. high school diploma and 10 to 1 for graduate education. Take the student loans and get the degree its a very good investment all around.

Yeah frosgrim I realize all this I guess my hesitation on loans is because my parents at fifty are both still saddled with 20,000+ in college debt. Now, granted, I can do my best to keep that from happening but it causes trepidation you know?

Yeah frosgrim I realize all this I guess my hesitation on loans is because my parents at fifty are both still saddled with 20,000+ in college debt. Now, granted, I can do my best to keep that from happening but it causes trepidation you know?

understood, i have them as well, but i still would take on the debt again. so much more is possible w/ a degree

What these guys are saying is right, its gonna be really hard to turn journalism into a career without a degree. Seems like you know that you can work for the paper and go to school so look into that.

School debt sucks but you'll rarely find a college grad that says the debt burden made them wish they hadn't gone to school.

• 3 weeks later...

get the degree man...and still do what you love doing

From what I know...ATL newspapers are cutting down on jobs im not sure about TN

but I'm 24 im about to grad the next semester with a degree in Communications Media Studies/ Broadcast Journalism...though i do go to a smaller Div. 2 school I do work for the basketball team as the Public Address Announcer & also the newspaper and internet radio station and the connections you get doing work around campus and in the field of your interest are worth it. Plus it beefs up your resume. If you're worried about the loans, look for a smaller school in your area that offers the degree you want. You can always transfer out if you dont like it, but you can take your cores while you're at a smaller school and pay half the price.

get the degree man...and still do what you love doing

From what I know...ATL newspapers are cutting down on jobs im not sure about TN

but I'm 24 im about to grad the next semester with a degree in Communications Media Studies/ Broadcast Journalism...though i do go to a smaller Div. 2 school I do work for the basketball team as the Public Address Announcer & also the newspaper and internet radio station and the connections you get doing work around campus and in the field of your interest are worth it. Plus it beefs up your resume. If you're worried about the loans, look for a smaller school in your area that offers the degree you want. You can always transfer out if you dont like it, but you can take your cores while you're at a smaller school and pay half the price.

Great advice Theeyo. Good luck upon graduation.

One of the best words of advice I ever got while an undergrad was that your BA/BS opens doors, but you never know which doors it will open. Keep your eyes open for options that you never thought of.