• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Scoop Jackson picks Hawks to win SouthEast

Atlsportfanz

• Admin
He was the only ESPN analyst to pick Josh Smith as DPOY, I guess he is bucking the system.

That makes me think he might not know what he is talking about. Smith is only a decent defender. He is no where near the class of the top defenders in this league.

That makes me think he might not know what he is talking about. Smith is only a decent defender. He is no where near the class of the top defenders in this league.

Nowhere near? I agree that he can be a better one on one defender but he is up near the top when it comes to DPOY. The guy blocks the hell out of everything and even when he doesn't get a block you get players changing their shots and throwing up garbage because they know he's there about to stuff'em.

Since most people are going to judge awards based on statistical achievement, Smith needs to improve his rebounding to double digits. Which means at least 2 more a game. I'm not sure he's gonna get there unless Horford goes down for a long period of time.

He's certainly upper echelon in blocks and steals so defensively rebounding is the area he needs to improve on if he wants any consideration for DPOY.

Since most people are going to judge awards based on statistical achievement, Smith needs to improve his rebounding to double digits. Which means at least 2 more a game. I'm not sure he's gonna get there unless Horford goes down for a long period of time.

He's certainly upper echelon in blocks and steals so defensively rebounding is the area he needs to improve on if he wants any consideration for DPOY.

I don't think Josh belongs inthe convo just yet, KG and Duncan are still the premier anchors in the game and Josh doesn't beat out stat-o-claus Camby or the current superstopper Battier either. That being said, Smith had the greatest defensive +/- out of any rotation player in the league so no defensive player was statistically more important to his team.

The fact that Camby has a DPOY and Duncan doesn't, or that Ben Wallace has 4 and Duncan doesn't have 1, etc. Well, Duncan's lack of a DPOY is all I need to know about that award.

Josh needs to snag another defensive rebound a game, keep his blocks and steals at around where they are, keep drawing +30 charges (which was a nice development in his game and one I'd like to see more Hawks players make), get a little better at both his man defense in the post and on switches (he doesn't have to be a stopper but he needs to be consistently recognized as a guy who is tough to score on every time down the court), and he needs to make a name for himself as a great PnR killer. He's closer to it than all but a handful of players but he still has a lot of work to do.

Well, the perenial DPOY year candidates are not only aging but almost washed up:

Ben Wallace and Bruce Bowen are just about washed up.

Guys like KG, Duncan, and Marcus Camby may have a couple of more years left of elite basketball but when the window closes it normally closes quickly.

Artest is no spring chicken either.

I see Kobe, KG, Camby, Duncan and Artest as fthe 4 front runners with Howard, and Smith being the "new wave" who only need to work on fundamentals (If Oden ever gets it together he could win 5 in a row !). Lebron James could win this award later in his career if he sets his mind to it (like Jordan did). The new perimeter rules make it even more difficult for a guard to win the award. So as good as Devin Harris is at perimeter defense I don't see him or any perimeter defender winning it not named Kobe.

We can't forget, as Hawks homers, that people on the outside see Smith as one of the 2 or 3 most versitile defenders in the league that can guard most SG, SF, PF, and C's in the league. They don't see his warts, they see his highlights / they miss all of the times he allows his man to blow by him so that he can get a block attempt or the fact that he relies on his leaping ability for rebounds rather then boxing out. (I consider defensive rebounding to be a MAJOR part of defense, after all if you can't get a defensive rebound then it doesn't matter how good you played on the ball defense). Well, Smith's game is to get out in the open court which limts his rebounds oppurtunities but still makes him just as effective since NO other PF in the game can run the floor with him. HOWEVER, all of his warts are simple fundamentals that should naturally be developed as he gains expierence.......After all, thats much easier then "developing" a 40'' vertical with a 7 foot + wingspan !

How many guys in the league can guard Lebron James effectively one night and then guard KG effectively the following night ? The list is short. Smith's versitility is what seperates him from other DPOY candidates who, other then Artest, normally "specialize" in either perimeter or post defense but not both.

Edited by coachx

I'm not so sure it's so far-fetched. I'm not sold on the Magic, plus it helps we're already 1-0 against them. It's still a long season though.

Smoove, if I remember correctly, was in consideration for DPOY in 2007.