• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Here's a tough question for you

Admin

Jason Terry and both of our 1sts for Dwight Howard  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It was widely rumored that we tried hard to get the Magic's top pick so that we could take Dwight Howard in the 2004 draft and the last rumor that I remember hearing was us offering Jason Terry and both of our 1sts that year, which of course turned out to be Josh Childress and Josh Smith.

So what say you then and now regarding that trade. Assume for arguments sake that Josh Childress was still a Hawk or will be next year.

• Admin

Knowing what he has done I would make the trade in a heartbeat. He is awesome.

However, back then JT was considered our best player and Howard was considered a big project. Okafor was considered the better player by a lot of scouts and by a lot people on this board (myself included). To give up our best player and 2 first round picks was a lot for a project.

It was widely rumored that we tried hard to get the Magic's top pick so that we could take Dwight Howard in the 2004 draft and the last rumor that I remember hearing was us offering Jason Terry and both of our 1sts that year, which of course turned out to be Josh Childress and Josh Smith.

So what say you then and now regarding that trade. Assume for arguments sake that Josh Childress was still a Hawk or will be next year.

I look at it two ways.

If i look at it as Josh, Josh, Terry for howard then i take Howard.

If we look at it just in terms of Terry and the picks then it is a tough call because the 6th pick was used on the wrong player. if i am making the call whether or not to make the trade does that mean i get to use the picks on who i wanted at the time?

If so then i would have used the 6th pick on Deng and the 17 i would have taken a flyer on Smith (or the other one, JR). In that case it is a much tougher call. If we picked Deng that would make it less likely for us to take Marvin and......

I look at it two ways.

If i look at it as Josh, Josh, Terry for howard then i take Howard.

If we look at it just in terms of Terry and the picks then it is a tough call because the 6th pick was used on the wrong player. if i am making the call whether or not to make the trade does that mean i get to use the picks on who i wanted at the time?

If so then i would have used the 6th pick on Deng and the 17 i would have taken a flyer on Smith (or the other one, JR). In that case it is a much tougher call. If we picked Deng that would make it less likely for us to take Marvin and......

Hmm, yeah I suppose that should be another option. I don't think I can go back and change the poll now though.

So for you JT, Deng, and one of the Smith's would be more valuable than Howard, but JT and the Josh's would be less valuable than Howard? I could see that, although I'm skeptical about Deng ever becoming much better than he is now.

I remember we were trying to trade up, but I didn't know the specifics.

I would have done the trade for JT and the picks in a heartbeat. I have never been a JT fan. He was good as a role player in a disciplined system in Dallas a couple of years ago, but I didn't like him in ATL where he had to be "the man." He just wasn't consistent enough to do that.

In hindsight, the only thing that gives me a millisecond's pause is parting with Josh, who could be a true stud. I would have no problem trading Chill, Deng or AI Jr. for Howard. However, the pause was only for a millisecond - I pull the trigger. Howard is fantastic. Best 5 in the league.

Hmm, yeah I suppose that should be another option. I don't think I can go back and change the poll now though.

So for you JT, Deng, and one of the Smith's would be more valuable than Howard, but JT and the Josh's would be less valuable than Howard? I could see that, although I'm skeptical about Deng ever becoming much better than he is now.

Deng averaged 19/7 shooting 52% in his thrid season and is a good defender. When you consider that he would be on the court with JT, JJ and Smith i don't think he needs to be much better than that.

Plus i think it would be more likely for us to draft Paul/Deron the following year if we take Deng. Based on what i read (i think it was over the summer) Woody and BK both had doubts about their ability to lead a team being so young. But if we already had JT then they might feel more comfortable bringing a new pg along slowly.

Hindsight, would trade Josh^2 plus Terry in a milisecond for Dwight. At the time? Dunno, Dwight was a freak athlete coming in but he was looked at as more of a rangy PF than as a C.

If we had made perfect picks, some combo of Smith, Deng, and Jefferson, than thats tough.

i voted yes for back then but i meant no. we were thin on talent and as a rebuilding team. we needed more talent. plus i thought josh smith and dwight howard were about the same, or turn out to be about the same, both good players. and anyone from that year was quite, decent. even childress. but giving up jason terry was easy. i wouldn't but i was wrong. think of big al and superman.

even if josh smith doesn't have any attitude(i'm not sure if he has or hasn't). dwight is more of a lovable person. i enjoy watching him doing interview more than josh.

• Premium Member

It's easy to build around a talent like D. Howard.

I think the followup moves are critical though.

Had we decided to go with JJ and Chris Paul in 2005, we'd have a dynasty: Just think:

Paul, JJ, _________, Harrington, and Howard.

Honestly, at that point, Sf doesn't matter because any one would do.