• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Childress Referendum

gsuteke

Should the Hawks try to resign Childress next season or beyond  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah, two players later...

Notice... Chillz bench was Chillz and Salim. And Salim can't stay in the league.

Even though we're underfeated... what you say that we'll be better off without him or addition by subtraction is that we could have lost Chillz for nothing.. No flip, no Evans and we would be a better team...

Come on Ex...

Do you really believe that?

Diesel math.....sigh.

It is ALL about money. Mo and Flip cost $9 million total. Childress would cost at least $30 million.

I said all along that the money we would have to spend on childress would be better spent on guys who actually fill a need on the team. Right now it sure looks that way and it appears most people agree.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diesel math.....sigh.

It is ALL about money. Mo and Flip cost $9 million total. Childress would cost at least $30 million.

I said all along that the money we would have to spend on childress would be better spent on guys who actually fill a need on the team. Right now it sure looks that way and it appears most people agree.

Uhm....wait a second.

Looking at just this year, the deal we offered Childress would have been worth $5.7 million. Evans and Murray combine for $4.0 million.

Yes, he's more pricey than both players, but not nearly as drastically as you make it look by comparing a one-year deal and a three-year deal to the five-year deal we offered Josh. You have to looked at it year-by-year.

And you were making fun of someone else's math?

Uhm....wait a second.

Looking at just this year, the deal we offered Childress would have been worth $5.7 million. Evans and Murray combine for $4.0 million.

Yes, he's more pricey than both players, but not nearly as drastically as you make it look by comparing a one-year deal and a three-year deal to the five-year deal we offered Josh. You have to looked at it year-by-year.

And you were making fun of someone else's math?

Childress' deal would hinder the Hawks ability to sign players for many years, not just one. Hence the word "total" in my post.

Also keep in mind that childress would be getting raises every year. Looking at only 1 year is fine with those looking through rose colored glasses but not for me.

We signed some shooters (and Flip + Evans do more than just shoot to be fair, especially Flip thus far with his lane penetration) to replace Salim and whomever else at the end of the bench.

And we gave them Childress' minutes.

That would be my response to your point D

• Premium Member
Childress' deal would hinder the Hawks ability to sign players for many years, not just one. Hence the word "total" in my post.

Also keep in mind that childress would be getting raises every year. Looking at only 1 year is fine with those looking through rose colored glasses but not for me.

You mean that 6 million dollars?

Dude... get a gripe.

Next year, 20 million comes off the books... who would chillz have been "hindering"?

I saw a few post ago you said that "it wasn't cheap owners... it was the luxury tax."

I thought you would see your error but it's obvious that you didn't. Most owners who are not cheap don't give a damn about a luxury tax when you're talking about good players. They get that money right back.

If Ted Turner owned the team, not only would we have signed CHillz, Mo, and Flip... we would have remained UNDER the luxury tax cap. Don't forget Smoove came in cheap.

• Premium Member
We signed some shooters (and Flip + Evans do more than just shoot to be fair, especially Flip thus far with his lane penetration) to replace Salim and whomever else at the end of the bench.

And we gave them Childress' minutes.

That would be my response to your point D

Well, Teke... we gave them Childress minutes but the truth is that when you have enough good players you find time for them to play. They also take minutes from JJ and from Bibby. All last year, we were criticized for having a 7 man rotation. Now we get two bonafide backups and you don't think we don't have room for another? That's silly. I enjoyed seeing our second team play more tonight. It's good that Joe doesn't play 44 minute per. You have not shown where having Chillz would be a bad thing.

You mean that 6 million dollars?

Dude... get a gripe.

Next year, 20 million comes off the books... who would chillz have been "hindering"?

I saw a few post ago you said that "it wasn't cheap owners... it was the luxury tax."

I thought you would see your error but it's obvious that you didn't. Most owners who are not cheap don't give a damn about a luxury tax when you're talking about good players. They get that money right back.

If Ted Turner owned the team, not only would we have signed CHillz, Mo, and Flip... we would have remained UNDER the luxury tax cap. Don't forget Smoove came in cheap.

First of all Gearon came out and said flat out they weren't paying the luxury tax. Period. The ASG owns 70% of the team even though they pay 100% of the expenses plus their legal expenses.

Even after after letting Childress walk they were still didn't spend much on new players. I don't think they even used the LLE.

Saying the owners don't care about the luxury tax is laughable since so few of them pay it. The Suns have sold off first round picks to avoid it.

We don't have Turner as an owner in case you didn't notice.

• Premium Member
Childress would not be worth the money to this team that he would cost to bring him here. The Hawks would be much better off trying to get something for him than trying to bring him back into the fold.

If that's the case, then you should have voted to take CHillz back. Like I said previously, we got to recoup some value for Chillz....

• Premium Member
First of all Gearon came out and said flat out they weren't paying the luxury tax. Period. The ASG owns 70% of the team even though they pay 100% of the expenses plus their legal expenses.

Cheap Owners.

Even after after letting Childress walk they were still didn't spend much on new players. I don't think they even used the LLE.

Cheap Owners.

Saying the owners don't care about the luxury tax is laughable since so few of them pay it. The Suns have sold off first round picks to avoid it.

Cheap Owners.

These are the teams in the LT area...

1. New York Knicks

$98,926,391

2. Cleveland Cavaliers

$90,081,126

3. Dallas Mavericks

$85,135,541

4. Portland Trail Blazers

$81,544,774

5. Boston Celtics

$80,238,904

6. Los Angeles Lakers

$78,848,027

The two teams that made the finals... Plus a team owned by Paul Allen and a team owned by Mark Cuban. Your beloved Suns ranked 7 and is under the LT by 300k.

We rank 24th on the list....

Cheap Owners.

• Premium Member
I would take Chills back, but I dont want him back. Our bench is completely different with wings that can shoot 3's and create their own shot. Chills was good and valuable, but I rather spend the money on keeping Flip, Marvin and dare I say it...Bibby.

If you don't know it by now, Bibby will be triage if he stays in a Hawks uni til the end of the season.

Cheap Owners.

If he is resigned it will be at a major pay cut. Still, I think a lot depends on Acie.

Cheap Owners.

Cheap Owners.

Cheap Owners.

These are the teams in the LT area...

1. New York Knicks

$98,926,391

2. Cleveland Cavaliers

$90,081,126

3. Dallas Mavericks

$85,135,541

4. Portland Trail Blazers

$81,544,774

5. Boston Celtics

$80,238,904

6. Los Angeles Lakers

$78,848,027

The two teams that made the finals... Plus a team owned by Paul Allen and a team owned by Mark Cuban. Your beloved Suns ranked 7 and is under the LT by 300k.

We rank 24th on the list....

Cheap Owners.

Like i said only 6 teams pay the luxury tax so saying the owners don't care about it is a joke.

Allen and Cuban have deep pockets. The Celtics and the Lakers were in the finals. Paying the luxury tax isn't as big of a deal when you have a chance to win a title.

If you can think if a way that we can trade our owners for someone like Paul Allen or Mark Cuban then be my guest.

If that's the case, then you should have voted to take CHillz back. Like I said previously, we got to recoup some value for Chillz....

Why is that?

The bottom line is winning, not recouping value. Right now we are one of only 2 unbeaten teams in the league. We have beaten 4 playoff teams and none of those games have come down to a last second shot.

• Premium Member
Like i said only 6 teams pay the luxury tax so saying the owners don't care about it is a joke.

Allen and Cuban have deep pockets. The Celtics and the Lakers were in the finals. Paying the luxury tax isn't as big of a deal when you have a chance to win a title.

If you can think if a way that we can trade our owners for someone like Paul Allen or Mark Cuban then be my guest.

I didn't say being cheap owners were exclusive to the Hawks. There are several teams that know that they have no shot at even going to the playoffs. They are less likely to pay LT... I agree. But in our case, we were in the playoffs, we had a lot of momentum. Then we played

Cheap Owners.

and tried to nickle and dime our stars. Exodus, you can talk about whatever other owners in the league you want to... this summer, our owners proved that they were of the cheap variation. They lowballed Smoove and Chillz. Only cheap owners do that. They spent only up to the salary cap (not even close to the luxury cap)... Only cheap owners do that. They kept a losing coach because they he was cheap. Only cheap owners do that.

Don't let me forget, they fired a lot of Admin from the Phil and from the front office.

We are 24th out of 30th in salary in the league...

Cheap Owners.

• Premium Member
Why is that?

The bottom line is winning, not recouping value. Right now we are one of only 2 unbeaten teams in the league. We have beaten 4 playoff teams and none of those games have come down to a last second shot.

If you don't take advantage of value, then you are not preparing for the future. We have 78 more games to play.

So are you now saying that you wouldn't want a first round pick for Chillz because we are 4-0??

Let me try to understand your bizarro logic..

If you don't take advantage of value, then you are not preparing for the future. We have 78 more games to play.

So are you now saying that you wouldn't want a first round pick for Chillz because we are 4-0??

Let me try to understand your bizarro logic..

First of all this thread is about resigning him, not trading him.

Secondly if we can get a first rounder for him then great but that won't help us in the next 78 games so i have no idea why you brought that up. I doubt his trade value is very high though.