• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Philips Arena has no identity

Elijah

I was not able to go to any of the home playoff games, but based on the 20 or so games I've been to over the last 2 years, I can tell you that the Hawks regular season crowds stink.

Unless Kobe is in town, or Bibby or JJ are going 10-10 on 3pters, this crowd is dead silent.

1) Why is the place always so empty?

2) Why do the upper level seats NEVER fill up?

3) Why do the premium seats across from the benches (that side) NEVER fill up?

4) Why is it a d@mn library in that arena EVERY time I'm there?

I saw LeBron and Dwyane Wade play last year, and I'm telling you, the crowds stink. Nobody is loud. The loudest thing in the freaking arena is that obnoxious rock music they put on right before tipoff. The most excited the crowd gets is with the stupid cliched KissCam, which isn't even that funny anymore.

No one boos the players on the other team (besides my friends, myself, and maybe a few Hawksquawk attendees), no one cheers...I went to the Falcon game last Sunday, and my upper-level section in the crowd crowd was 200x as loud as any Hawks crowd I've ever seen.

WE NEED TO FILL UP THE SEATS. This means EVERY seat needs to be full. Just because the seats you see on TV are full, doesn't mean that the upper level seats (which ALWAYS have empty seats) are full. :brick wall:

Phillips really stinks. I hope it stays like that. My wife supposed to be getting me a ticket down there sometime next year. ..lol.

Its sucks though. I really hate when MJ and the bulls used to come to town and they had more fans cheering for them than we did..it really sucked.

Actually, you are completely wrong, Elijah. 20 games over 2 years? You are complaining about the Hawks not having any fans, but you don't go to the games enough... That sounds pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

I actually go to EVERY game, and the only times the arena is not really filled up is during the week when there are boring teams (Charlotte, Washington, etc). This Friday there was actually a really nice crowd for the BOBCATS. The crowd didn't get loud until later in the game because there was NOTHING TO CHEER ABOUT.

The television angles do not give the crowd justice.. I'm not going to sit here and say there are sellouts all of the time, but it's a lot better IN PERSON than it is on TV.

Go to the games and quit complaining. You lose all credibility when you are complaining about the crowds but don't go to the games. Give me a break.

I was not able to go to any of the home playoff games, but based on the 20 or so games I've been to over the last 2 years, I can tell you that the Hawks regular season crowds stink.

I saw LeBron and Dwyane Wade play last year, and I'm telling you, the crowds stink. Nobody is loud. The loudest thing in the freaking arena is that obnoxious rock music they put on right before tipoff.

If they put on some pimps and hoes music the crowd would get more fired up.

Actually, you are completely wrong, Elijah. 20 games over 2 years? You are complaining about the Hawks not having any fans, but you don't go to the games enough... That sounds pretty hypocritical if you ask me.

I actually go to EVERY game, and the only times the arena is not really filled up is during the week when there are boring teams (Charlotte, Washington, etc). This Friday there was actually a really nice crowd for the BOBCATS. The crowd didn't get loud until later in the game because there was NOTHING TO CHEER ABOUT.

The television angles do not give the crowd justice.. I'm not going to sit here and say there are sellouts all of the time, but it's a lot better IN PERSON than it is on TV.

Go to the games and quit complaining. You lose all credibility when you are complaining about the crowds but don't go to the games. Give me a break.

20 games in 2 years?

Yeah, I'm a college student at UGA and make the long miserable drive on 316 to Philips as often as possible. Sorry I'm not some 45 year old fart like the rest of you guys who drink beer all day and whine about our team. I go to as many games as I can, and I have been to games on every day of the week, and the opening night crowd vs. Philly was pretty mediocre. Upper level is always empty.

Best,

Elijah

Sorry buddy....far from 45 years old. Good try though! I'm also one of the FEW who don't whine or complain about this team.

They have cable in athens?

• Moderators

He's going to 25% of the home games. That's pretty damn good. I'd love to go to that many games but i've got lots of other things to do too. I save my money and watch it on tv.

But you are correct: Philips sucks. Its not the just the crowd though. Its the building. I know our ticket prices are supposedly 'low' compared to other cities but its a horrible entertainment value. The upper level is strictly for second class citizens like myself. That's why it takes so long to get up there and then make the descent to your seats from the roof of the building. No access at all to the good food unless you want to miss the third quarter.

The premium seats don't fill up because they are only affordable to people who want to spend $20,000 to hold their seats for when Kobe or the Celtics are in town. I know corporate seats and boxes make a lot of money, but really to reserve half of the entire building, one whole side of the court for corporate ticket holders is ridiculous. Plus a huge food court that you can't go to unless you have a corporate seat. Its a sucky experience. Or maybe I'm just too old for it.

He's going to 25% of the home games. That's pretty damn good. I'd love to go to that many games but i've got lots of other things to do too. I save my money and watch it on tv.

But you are correct: Philips sucks. Its not the just the crowd though. Its the building. I know our ticket prices are supposedly 'low' compared to other cities but its a horrible entertainment value. The upper level is strictly for second class citizens like myself. That's why it takes so long to get up there and then make the descent to your seats from the roof of the building. No access at all to the good food unless you want to miss the third quarter.

The premium seats don't fill up because they are only affordable to people who want to spend $20,000 to hold their seats for when Kobe or the Celtics are in town. I know corporate seats and boxes make a lot of money, but really to reserve half of the entire building, one whole side of the court for corporate ticket holders is ridiculous. Plus a huge food court that you can't go to unless you have a corporate seat. Its a sucky experience. Or maybe I'm just too old for it.

I have to disagree about Philips. Philips is one of the nicest arenas in the entire NBA. The reality of NBA economics says that there must be luxury suites/seats and if you pay all that money, you damn sure expect to get access to things that the "regular crowd" doesn't get (otherwise, why pay the extra money in the first place?) In addition, the luxury suites/seats take up MAYBE a 1/3 of the arena as both ends and the entire side behind the benches are for us in the "regular" crowd. Seeing as how the regular seats are rarely filled, I don't see the problem.

In addition, There is not a "bad" seat in the house and there are (or were, not sure if they are still available) season ticket packages available in the lower level for $999.00 (including parking for every game). That is roughly $25/game to watch NBA basketball. Heck, PARKING at the Falcons game is that much in most lots.

Edited by Traceman