• Raised $390 of $700 target

What's wrong with Josh Smith? - -

Gray Mule

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Well if Josh is gonna continue to jack up long-range shots (he restrained himself to two last night, good sign), his ideal shooting coach is now available.

Enter The Rifleman...

Just fired yesterday in Sacto along with Coach HangTime, and checking careerbuilder.com for "Shooting Consultant" position openings. Mark Price can focus on getting the guards back on track.

~lw3

• Moderators

I would rather have Josh spending his time learning how to best run a fast break, working on moves in the paint, and perfecting a mid-range jumper rather than getting tutoring from anyone on 3pt shooting.

I don't understand how Josh can think it is a good idea to shoot 3's that aren't in the last 5 seconds of the shot clock. Does he make 75% of his 3's in practice or something?

Does he need someone to do the math for him about what a particular 3 pt% equals in 2pt%?

Hasn't anyone ever told him how bad ass he would look with a 50%+ field goal percentage? Dude would be a stud.

I also don't understand how Woody always has him out at the 3 point line. We have no post presence on offense, and one of our two post players barely ever gets the ball in the post. Is he worried Smith will get upset at him or something? Does Smith really think that he has a better chance at making a 3 pointer or jumpshot than he does trying to post someone up, or make a move to the rim?

So confusing.

I don't think Woody's goal is to get Josh a good shot from 3, rather to create space around the hoop for drives and if you have two post players under the net, or even two guys around 15 feet from the net, you have less room than if you have one guy 15 feet from the net and one guy at the 3pt line (I think Al Horford is standing a little farther out this season too, his offensive rebounding hasn't been nearly as strong).

The guy obviously likes to shoot 3's. Fine, he makes a little more than one out of every four (usually one is at the end of the shot clock and a heave anyhow). Cut him some slack...I don't mind he shoots threes. It's not like he's jacking up 6 or 7 a game every night. For all he does for the team, rebounding, defense, blocking shots, thunderous dunks, leads breaks, being unselfish, getting the crowd excited...all at the ripe age of 23 and people complain when he takes a couple bad threes during the course of a game. It's ridiculous.

The guy obviously likes to shoot 3's. Fine, he makes a little more than one out of every four (usually one is at the end of the shot clock and a heave anyhow). Cut him some slack...I don't mind he shoots threes. It's not like he's jacking up 6 or 7 a game every night. For all he does for the team, rebounding, defense, blocking shots, thunderous dunks, leads breaks, being unselfish, getting the crowd excited...all at the ripe age of 23 and people complain when he takes a couple bad threes during the course of a game. It's ridiculous.

You are missing the point. It isn't just the 3s he takes that are the problem. It is the amount of time he spends behind the line that is the problem. When he is standing behind the line the defense doesn't have to guard him, making it easier to guard other guys. He can't crash the offensive glass or cut to the basket for easy looks. he can't post up for a score or kick it out to other guys for open looks. he can't get to the foul line.

There is nothing good about Smith spending so much time behind the line.