• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Coach Firings and Woody

HawkItus

I know people will think this is a joke, but I'm a little worried about what is going to happen this off-season. If Woody has another playoff year and we increase wins I think someone will make a play for him and force us to either give him a bigger longer deal or let him go for compensation. I know that sounds ridiculous. But, we can't lose a coach that way. Not now. Not with things making a nice turn. Am I crazy or do you guys think this might be an issue?

• Premium Member
I know people will think this is a joke, but I'm a little worried about what is going to happen this off-season. If Woody has another playoff year and we increase wins I think someone will make a play for him and force us to either give him a bigger longer deal or let him go for compensation. I know that sounds ridiculous. But, we can't lose a coach that way. Not now. Not with things making a nice turn. Am I crazy or do you guys think this might be an issue?

Us and Woody depends on 2 things: JJ and How our owners do in the courts.

Isn't he under contract through next season?

Isn't he under contract through next season?

Yes, but who coaches under a 1 year deal anymore? He'll want more years if he goes to playoffs again. And if another team comes looking to get him out of the contract, we might find ourselves in a bidding war. There might be as many as 12 openings by the summer. If Woody goes 45 or so wins with 2 back to back playoffs, we might be looking at competition for his services. Maybe I'm wrong and their is no market for Woody.

• Moderators

As dolfan points out, Woodson isn't going anywhere if we don't want him to through the end of next season. I am not real worried about this. I don't see many teams banging down Woodson's door to recruit him away from Atlanta. Moreover, I think he would be reluctant to leave the Hawks when they are finally winning. If he got a quick axe somewhere else, his career winning % and the stink of being recently fired could kill his chances of working again.