• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will we be looking PG in this upcoming draft?

oiatlhawksfan

• Premium Member
With Acie struggling and Woodson not showing any confidence in him, will we be looking for a new PG of the future in this upcoming draft, or will we be looking at something different.

Looks like Acie Law is the new Marvin on this board and Mronline is the new Diesel! Acie will prove his worth which will lead to another crow eating sessions on this board. Some of you guys seem to never get enough of that crow.

• Premium Member
Looks like Acie Law is the new Marvin on this board and Mronline is the new Diesel! Acie will prove his worth which will lead to another crow eating sessions on this board. Some of you guys seem to never get enough of that crow.

Insulting me is not a valid counterargument.

Listen, I really like what I've read about Acie as a person, and I think he can become a suitable backup PG in the NBA. But there's nothing about the guy - production-wise or skill-wise - to suggest he'll ever be anything else. He's a scoring PG who was supposed to come in and contribute right away. He's done neither, and has been outplayed by veterans both years of his career.

Personally, and others are free to disagree, I think he's a poor fit for the Hawks' backup PG if Bibby is re-signed. If Bibby is to be the starter for 09-10 and 10-11, then the Hawks need a more traditional, defensive PG who can provide help at the 1 when Bibby is poorly matched. That player is NOT Acie Law, and it's unfair to ask him to be that player.

On the other hand, Acie Law has not proven enough to justify letting Bibby go. He's in a tough position for sure, which is why I think he should be traded if Bibby is in fact re-signed.

Also, to compare him to Marvin is flawed:

Marvin was 19 his first season with the Hawks, and had played major minutes in only one season of college basketball. Acie Law was 23 last year, and had played major minutes at Texas A&M all four years. Marvin also possessed skills and athleticism (for his position) at age 19 that Law has never had.

Players aren't automatically stars because the Hawks draft them...

Edited by mrhonline

Marvin played over 1900 minutes in his first season. Acie probably won't match that by the end of THIS season.

Can't say the comparison is valid. Acie Law is looking more like the next Salim or Shelden than the next Marvin-and it's not like Marvin is an unqualified success story either.

• Premium Member
Can't say the comparison is valid. Acie Law is looking more like the next Salim or Shelden than the next Marvin-and it's not like Marvin is an unqualified success story either.

Its a wonder how the Hawks win any games with so many questionable players on the roster. Listening to some of the posters here on this MB, you would think that Joe was Lebron since we've won 18 games this year with unsuccessful players like Marvin in the starting line up!

Its a wonder how the Hawks win any games with so many questionable players on the roster. Listening to some of the posters here on this MB, you would think that Joe was Lebron since we've won 18 games this year with unsuccessful players like Marvin in the starting line up!

I'm sorry, but if you think I'm being unreasonable by calling Marvin "not an unqualified success story" then you've really had too much eggnog. I've really gone out of my way to defend Marvin this year since he's finally becoming a really legitimate starter-especially on the offensive end. I'm really excited about where his career his going, but he's certainly far from making his doubters "eat crow."

No matter what he does he in his career, he'll always be the man who was taken ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams. It's not his fault that he was drafted ahead of two star players, but even if he has extraordinary success for the next five years, he'll always have a "but Atlanta could have had..." attached to his name (barring a major, career threatening injury to CP3) because Chris Paul is the best PG in the league. It's not fair to him, but it's the truth.

• Premium Member
No matter what he does he in his career, he'll always be the man who was taken ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams. It's not his fault that he was drafted ahead of two star players, but even if he has extraordinary success for the next five years, he'll always have a "but Atlanta could have had..." attached to his name (barring a major, career threatening injury to CP3) because Chris Paul is the best PG in the league. It's not fair to him, but it's the truth.

And yet this scrub team managed to beat your beloved Hornets and the great Chris Paul in their own building this year. Wonder how that happened? And despite how great you think Chris Paul is, his team still won't go anywhere. Heck, they were just blown out by the Magic yesterday! A team that we've already beaten this year too.

And yet this scrub team managed to beat your beloved Hornets and the great Chris Paul in their own building this year. Wonder how that happened? And despite how great you think Chris Paul is, his team still won't go anywhere. Heck, they were just blown out by the Magic yesterday! A team that we've already beaten this year too.

Chris Paul is the best PG in the league...and I don't even see how this is debatable.

And this entire tangent about Marvin is seriously off-topic.

• Premium Member
No, we still need a big. Acie will grow into his position Woody is giving him time because we are solid in the backcourt right now. Zaza is the biggest liability in our top 6 right now and we need to find a solid big man to groom in the same vein as Bierdrins.

I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

There was a quote from Woodson earlier in the month talking about Acie, and how he is trying to teach him. We need to remember that Acie was not asked to be a traditional PG at TA&M.

• Premium Member

Wait... Are you trying to say that us not picking Paul was a good thing? We beat the Celtics 3 times in the playoffs last year. Does that mean that KG is no Good? We beat Orlando in Orlando this year... Does that mean that Dwight Howard is trash? Peoriabird.... are you Marvin's brother are something? Marvin is simply an average role player.. and that's acknowledging that every player has a role to play, but Marvin's role does not expand based on personnel... i.e. if JJ was to suddenly leave the Hawks, don't expect Marvin to pick up the slack. In fact, you can look for him to pull disappearing acts all over the place. The truth is Marvin's success is definitely tied to JJ's success. That's why he was a bad pick and that's why he will always be an underachiever...

Guys who you normally pick in the top 3 are guys who have enough ability to be a showcase for his team. Marvin is not that.

• Premium Member
I wholeheartedly agree with this post.

There was a quote from Woodson earlier in the month talking about Acie, and how he is trying to teach him. We need to remember that Acie was not asked to be a traditional PG at TA&M.

Acie could easily do what Bibby does... that is play the OG. However, he has not fallen into that role under woody. Acie has shown to be a better true PG than Bibs. I don't know if that's good or bad. I do know that the draft might not even be that important to us.

We have become a win now team. That means no more reliance on the draft to get us players that we have to wait on their development. There's only 1 guy in the draft that I would bet the farm on and that's Thabeet. otherwise, I say we use that draft pick as leverage to get us what we really need.

For instance.. can the draft pick and some personnel help us get Kaman or Jefferson? I think that it may be that we may be active towards the trade deadline. Especially if there's a good big that we can grab.

• Premium Member
Watching the Lakers and Celtics yesterday and had to think how Acie would be used if he played for one of those coaches. No question they play guys productively that have less talent than Acie. He has a role and can produce if given the right opportunity.

I learned a lot watching that game yesterday. From Doc River's perspective, I learned that he didn't understand the strength of the streak. Doc approached this game like it was some ordinary game whereas Phil approached this game like it was game 7 of the championships. The point is that a streaking Boston team should never have played Tony Allen and Big Baby as much as they played. What's the payoff in that? It's not really development, you have the Grizz and the Thunder for that. My POV is that you develop a reputation when you win a game like that. I remember the Bulls when they reeled off their streak. When they came to Atlanta, they brought fear with them... Our team with Smith and Mookie seemed scared to play them. I remember Grant Long in a pregame interview saying, We're going to try our best. When you have a professional team saying try their best that means that psychologically, you have an advantage on them. Plus the media has already made them out to be better than You. That's what made Games 4 and 6 so big in last years playoffs vs. Boston. Boston came into both of those games expecting to put us away... but what happened is that we dominated them.

Even though they beat us recently, I don't think Boston believes that they can beat us in Atlanta. Part of Basketball (and sports for that matter) is the psychological game. It's like Kasparov vs. Karpov. Karpov may have been much better at the time, but Kasparov has a psychological advantage.. it made Karpov move away from his strengths. That's what Phil Jackson did yesterday. He removed the psychological loss that the Lakers had on them by getting redemption. Had Doc been a better coach, he would have realized what was at stake.

• Premium Member
Wait... Are you trying to say that us not picking Paul was a good thing? We beat the Celtics 3 times in the playoffs last year. Does that mean that KG is no Good? We beat Orlando in Orlando this year... Does that mean that Dwight Howard is trash? Peoriabird.... are you Marvin's brother are something? Marvin is simply an average role player.. and that's acknowledging that every player has a role to play, but Marvin's role does not expand based on personnel... i.e. if JJ was to suddenly leave the Hawks, don't expect Marvin to pick up the slack. In fact, you can look for him to pull disappearing acts all over the place. The truth is Marvin's success is definitely tied to JJ's success. That's why he was a bad pick and that's why he will always be an underachiever...

Guys who you normally pick in the top 3 are guys who have enough ability to be a showcase for his team. Marvin is not that.

Do you really expect someone on this board to engage in conversation about Marvin with you?