• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Solving the NJ's and Indy's of the World...

khaos7

I'm as thrilled as anybody about our Hawks. However our next four games (Indy, NJ, Orlando and Houston) will be telling. Believe it or not, Houston and Orlando don't concern me as much as Indy and NJ. Our worst losses of the year (Indy blew us out and NJ beat us back to back nights) came against the Nets and Pacers. Clearly, these teams aren't as good as us. However, dating back to last year, we have fits against these teams. It will be interesting to see how we respond. Conseco gives us nightmares. I honestly believe we need to beat those two teams. We can't stop Granger, but we must contain him. The same thing goes for Devin Harris. It's time to make a statement against these little sisters in the the East.

I'm as thrilled as anybody about our Hawks. However our next four games (Indy, NJ, Orlando and Houston) will be telling. Believe it or not, Houston and Orlando don't concern me as much as Indy and NJ. Our worst losses of the year (Indy blew us out and NJ beat us back to back nights) came against the Nets and Pacers. Clearly, these teams aren't as good as us. However, dating back to last year, we have fits against these teams. It will be interesting to see how we respond. Conseco gives us nightmares. I honestly believe we need to beat those two teams. We can't stop Granger, but we must contain him. The same thing goes for Devin Harris. It's time to make a statement against these little sisters in the the East.

TJ and Harris = trouble. We haven't shown the ability to contain quick scoring pgs. That is a major weak spot.

TJ and Harris = trouble. We haven't shown the ability to contain quick scoring pgs. That is a major weak spot.

I agree. Fortunately for us, Ford is out (and I think Dunleavy). That said, we can't make Jack and Diener the next coming Kidd and Magic. We need to stamp out these two teams.

• Premium Member

You're right.. these four games (all four) will be hard and telling.... Indy has the ability to match our length and athleticism. Even though he's not the biggest factor, Marquis Daniels tends to do some good defensive work. NJ is a bit more of a mystery. They don't really have anything but Vince and size. I think they caught us at the right time before... No Smoove, off a loss... going to Jersey first and slumping shooting. Now, our chemistry seems to be up... It will be interesting.

I agree. Fortunately for us, Ford is out (and I think Dunleavy). That said, we can't make Jack and Diener the next coming Kidd and Magic. We need to stamp out these two teams.

This is getting to be a recording. The Hawks have sure had some good fortune in regards to injuries to other teams. Nene was out last night. Deng and Hinrich were out the previous game.... and so on and on.

We are catching a major break in that TJ Ford will likely miss tonights game with a tight back. Jack will start in his place. That means Travis Deiner is the back up PG. That tells me Flip should have another big scoring night. Ford has already missed the last few games and with last years Horford scare I doubt he steps on the court if his back is already in bad shape with Horford and Smoove patrolling the paint !

If memory serve me right we were missing Smoove in the last Pacers game. With Smoove added to the mix and Ford subtracted it should make for a Hawks a win. However, anything can happen on the 2nd game of back to backs. The jumpers, we depend on, tend not to fall as easily on the those nights.

You're right.. these four games (all four) will be hard and telling.... Indy has the ability to match our length and athleticism. Even though he's not the biggest factor, Marquis Daniels tends to do some good defensive work. NJ is a bit more of a mystery. They don't really have anything but Vince and size. I think they caught us at the right time before... No Smoove, off a loss... going to Jersey first and slumping shooting. Now, our chemistry seems to be up... It will be interesting.

I agree. All four will be tough. If we play defense like we've done (with the exception of the Bulls game, which I think was meant to be a shoot out based off the kind of shots both teams were hitting) I can see us going at least 2 and 2 on this next stretch. I can live with that. For all of my criticism towards Woody, he has the guys playing good D during important stretches. We do that, we'll win. We just have to stop the Lopezes, Dieners, Daniels, and Hayes of this world from looking like the second comings of Kareem, Stockton, Pippen, and Jordan. No knock on those guys, but we have a tendency to allow bench/role players look like All Stars.

Its all about focus and digging deep with this team. They are young and are gaining experience in how to win games in the 4th. That has to come before we start owning the whole game.

Tonight should be a game where the bench gets called on early so that the starters have some gas in the 4th. I hope to see Acie get about 5-8 minutes in the first half so that Bibby and Flip are fresh for the start fo the 4th.

That all said, I expect a win tonight. The only place the Pacers have an advantage is at PG and that is only due to Bibby not being even average defensively. However, with the shooting Bibby gives us, that issue is becoming a wash. Granger isn't in the same class as LBJ or Melo, yet Marvin frustrated those guys during the homestand. Marvin seems to have the defensive focus now, so I really don't expect Granger to have a great or even good night. He may get his points but it will be on volume shooting.

--------

In terms of the smaller, quicker pgs. That is the Acheles heel of this team. The solution is in Smith/Zaza/Solo punishing those guys as they come down the lane (ala Oakly, Malone, Mahorn, and the other mean-ass PFs of the 80s and 90s). Hopefully one of those guys will start doing that. Got to make guys affraid to come down the lane. Once you do that, those easy layups become missed layups becuase the guard is pulling up short expecting to get plastered.

"Hoping to see Acie get 5-8 minutes in the first half," - - Me too!

We can dream, can't we!

Woody, in last night's after game interview, said he was going to try

to get the starters more rest and use the bench more. He's said

things like this before, but in the heat of the game, he "forgets"

all about it and runs his starters ragged.

We'll see. Check out his memory tonight. Will he or will he not?

News coverage on this @ 11 P.M.

We need to come out with a sense of urgency against this team. They've embarrassed us the last 3-4 games (going back to last year's push for the playoffs). Devin Harris will be at his explosive best and undoubtedly, soft a$# Vince Carter will be motivated (I can't stand this cat). We need to make a statement tonight against this team.