• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I don't understand Josh Smith

Elijah

Some of the things he does on the court really make me question what he thinks about when he's playing. Sometimes he gets the ball, sees a teammate, and throws him the ball without even looking for potential players on the other team who are about to steal the ball.

Anyway, can someone please define what his role is on this team?

Is he a 3 pt shooter?

Is he a post player?

Is he a shot blocker?

Is he a perimeter shooter?

Is he a great one-on-one defender like some of you claim?

I just can't see our team going far with this guy as our PF, being matched against people like a healthy Jermaine O'Neal or having to body up with Ben wallace or Rasheed.

Also, if he dribbles more than 3 times on a possession, you know there will be at turnover.

I know, I know. 25 of you will reply, saying his ankle's hurt. Well, so what? Does a hurt ankle really affect your ability to make passes?

I really hope his ankle heals soon, because our interior defense stinks. The quicker guards, like Diesel mentioned, will continue to burn us if we have no shotblocking presence.

:beathorse:

This is at least the 1,000 time this thread has been created.

To his credit Smith has settled down since the Celtics game. He has alwayse been turnover prone and has alwayse shot from the perimeter too much. What are you looking for people to say ?

Edited by coachx

:beathorse:

This is at least the 1,000 time this thread has been created.

To his credit Smith has settled down since the Celtics game. He has alwayse been turnover prone and has alwayse shot from the perimeter too much. What are you looking for people to say ?

Well, maybe Josh could try CHANGE some things over the summer so we don't have to witness this garbage every year.

This past summer, Marvin noticeably added muscle, added a 3pt shot, and stellar defense.

What exactly has Smoove added? You'd think that someone who worked with Olajuwon and Calvin for at least a summer would have more to offer than this out of control trainwreck.

Seriously, is Smoove refusing to work with Mark Price?

And i have always been a Marvin basher, and even bashed him 2 weeks ago, but he really has settled down and played some ball these past weeks.

Edited by Elijah

His role?

Well...he's the only "drive and dish" player, we have on the the team. (one of the main reason Bibby's TO's are so low)

He's the only player who is willing to consistently take a charge.

He may be the only player in the league, that instantly creates a near 10ppg drop in defensive scoring, when he plays.

He has his faults, yes....with plenty to improve on.

You name those players...but when have you seen them dominate him?

Edited by HawkNJersey

His role?

Well...he's the only "drive and dish" player, we have on the the team. (one of the main reason Bibby's TO's are so low)

He's the only player who is willing consistently take a charge.

He may be the only player in the league, that instantly creates a near 10ppg drop in defensive scoring, when he plays.

He has his faults, yes....with plenty to improve on.

You name those players...but when have you seen them dominate him?

Near 10 ppg drop? Does that apply to the last 2 weeks of layup drills our opponents have done on us?

By naming those players, I just meant quality bigs in general. I am not confident if Josh Smith has to go in a series against anyone besides a Rashard Lewis who is a mega-tweener

Near 10 ppg drop? Does that apply to the last 2 weeks of layup drills our opponents have done on us?

By naming those players, I just meant quality bigs in general. I am not confident if Josh Smith has to go in a series against anyone besides a Rashard Lewis who is a mega-tweener

Do you mean the last 2 weeks where we went 7-1?

Smith already admitted that his ankle is still bothering him and preventing him from going for blocks.

But obviously that is no excuse for his stupidity on offense. This is his 5th season and he needs to wake the F up and stop playing like a moron. His two turnovers in the first half on the fast break had me yelling at him. And of course he has to jack up a couple of 3s.

Smith has all the talent and heart in the world but sometimes i think he has brain damage.

Is he a 3 point shooter? No, which is what we complain the most about him.

Is he a post player? Kinda, i wouldn't depend on him night in and night out.

Is he a shot blocker? Yes. that was kind of a dumb question.

Is he a perimetr player? if your asking is he a jump shooter than the answer is no.

Smith is a slasher, good defender(watch the detroit game), and a good passer when he is not dribbling the ball up court. All he has to do is stop shooting 3s and stop dribbling up the court.

Can we win with him as PF? YES.

J.O is overrated, Ben wallace has no offense and he defended rasheed wallace well when we played them.

Rashard is not a PF. he is just another SG/SF who is just bigger than the average SG/SF.

when he was out we was gave up at least 110 points 6 times. we only gave up 100 points twice with smoove in the lineup(bulls,dallas)

i think i answer your complaints, smith will be fine. no need in complaining.

Edited by hoodstar

I know you guys cringe when you see me defending Josh Smith so I'll try to keep this short.

Record with Josh Smith in the lineup - 13W 4L a .764 winning percentage.

Average score in those games. 103.1 - 95.6

Record without Josh Smith in the lineup - 6W 6L a .500 winning percentage

Average score in those games 98.5 - 100.8

Probably time to get off Josh's back. No player is perfect but emperical data shows that this year Josh is worth 4.6 points on offense and is a 5.2 point difference on defense....that's 9.8 point swing a game. He'll get better every year all young players do.

Funny what short memories people have....we were very average without Smith.

I know you guys cringe when you see me defending Josh Smith so I'll try to keep this short.

Record with Josh Smith in the lineup - 13W 4L a .764 winning percentage.

Average score in those games. 103.1 - 95.6

Record without Josh Smith in the lineup - 6W 6L a .500 winning percentage

Average score in those games 98.5 - 100.8

Probably time to get off Josh's back. No player is perfect but emperical data shows that this year Josh is worth 4.6 points on offense and is a 5.2 point difference on defense....that's 9.8 point swing a game. He'll get better every year all young players do.

Funny what short memories people have....we were very average without Smith.

we are not arguing his value, we all know he is very very very valuble. we are talking about his offesive decision making.

His problem is Joe Johnson, Marvin Williams, and Mike Bibby. Josh doesn't have the concentration level of Al Horford. He doesn't focus well when he isn't involved. I wish the coaching staff would challenge him with little quarterly task like 2 offensive rebounds, or 2 assist etc. Maybe we let him set more picks, something to keep him plugged in.

We are 15-4 with Josh Smith, 6-6 without him.

That is all that matters.

Why? Because we have more of an identity with him in the game. Sounds ironic considering offensively it seems JSmoove has no identity, but wins are racked up by DEFENSE. That's why the Celtics, Cavs, Magic, etc are all good.

ESPN shows all the Lebron and Howard Dunks, all the KG fadeaways, etc but it's the DEFENSE that fuels those teams. Same with the Lakers.

We are by far a better defensive team with Josh Smith. We give far more effort on that end of the floor when he's in the game and he can single handedly alter a shot or a fast break with his presence.

The reason Josh Smith annoys everyone so much is because most of his problems are mental. He could be a lot better tomorrow if he just decided to stop doing several things and concentrate on others.

:thumbsupsmileyanim: