• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Resigning Bibby is a must..

AtLaS

He's been IMO our 2nd most important player this season. He stretches the floor, makes smart plays for the most part (save the jump passes), and has been extremely consistent with his jumper.

Yes, he's been playing a long time, but he's not the type of player to decline with age since he doesn't use athleticism to define his game. He's a quick release jump shooter who thrives on running the pick and roll and setting people up for high percentage shots. We could sign him for a 3-4 year deal and feel secure. It's no coincidence that we are 21-10 when we finally have a capable PG for the first time in 10 years. IMO, we're a .500 team at best without him.

I won't be surprised if he asked for at least 12 mill. If we sign him and Marv we will be stuck with the bench (lack of) we have for 4+ years. Acie will be gone and we will be stuck with an injury prone (remember this is his contract year) Bibby. We can't/won't win a championship like this.

Edited by GameTime

I won't be surprised if he asked for at least 12 mill. If we sign him and Marv we will be stuck with the bench (lack of) we have for 4+ years. Acie will be gone and we will be stuck with an injury prone (remember this is his contract year) Bibby. We can't/won't win a championship like this.

What does a contract year have to do with shooting well?

And, Bibby isn't getting 12 million, period. That's just not happening.

Bibby is not injury prone, he's played 80+ games in 7 seasons during his career. He broke his hand last year but that's not an "injury prone" type of injury.

We also won't be stuck with the same bench. We have the MLE every season, and Marvin is a valuable player but he's not a necessity to our success. He is easily the most expendable of our starting 5.

Im getting rid of Bibby before i get rid of Marvin. If Bibby wants 12million he can leave. To me its not wise to give him that much. He is on the downside of his career. True he is balling right now, but think 2 years ahead. He is not worth 12 million.

• Premium Member
Im getting rid of Bibby before i get rid of Marvin. If Bibby wants 12million he can leave. To me its not wise to give him that much. He is on the downside of his career. True he is balling right now, but think 2 years ahead. He is not worth 12 million.

What would you say if Bibby asked for 3 years 30 million?

What would you say if Bibby asked for 3 years 30 million?

The way I see it, Bibby and Marvin can have 15 million combined next year with the standard raises each year thereafter and that can be divided up however it needs to be. Ideally I'd like to see Marvin get 8 and Bibby get 7, give Marvin 5 years and give Bibby 3. That will shave off several million from what they are currently getting paid and it should help us to add some more help to the roster.

• Premium Member
The way I see it, Bibby and Marvin can have 15 million combined next year with the standard raises each year thereafter and that can be divided up however it needs to be. Ideally I'd like to see Marvin get 8 and Bibby get 7, give Marvin 5 years and give Bibby 3. That will shave off several million from what they are currently getting paid and it should help us to add some more help to the roster.

I said 3/30 mill because I doubt that Bibs would ask for that. Bibby is what.. 30? At 33 he will not be about to get another lucrative deal. So here's what I suggest...

5 years 40 Million. That averages 8 a year. I would make it frontloaded and as close to flat as possible. (Chicago Bulls style).

The reason being is because I suspect that we need to sign JJ and Marvin and Horf in the near future. I might even consider resigning Zaza.

So..

I would try to sign JJ to an extension this summer. That's takes a lot of the pressure off of the future. IF we could sign Bibbs to 5 years 40 Million.... then I would look to start him off at: I believe we can start Bibs off with 11.36 Million this year and work his way flat: 11.36, 7.16, 7.16, 7.16, 7.16. It means that Marv can only make about 7-8 to start. It also means that we have to start getting rid of some other salary...Speedy. I would use Speedy and the first in trade (before the deadline)... just to get their salaries off the books.

He will not shoot this well once he gets a contract.

shooting has nothing to do with a contract. yes, a player seems to play harder when he is up for a contract but shooting isnt effort, its a skill..Bibby has always been known as a shooter..this is nothing new. so i dont see his shot changing

shooting has nothing to do with a contract. yes, a player seems to play harder when he is up for a contract but shooting isnt effort, its a skill..Bibby has always been known as a shooter..this is nothing new. so i dont see his shot changing

When was the last time Bibby shot this well? You could argue this is his best shooting season of his career. He is attempting the 3rd highest 3pt attempts per game and is making the highest 3pt attempts of his career. He has the second highest PG% of his career. The year he shot higher he only took 2.5 3's per game. So I'm going to say that season wise he is shooting the best of his NBA career. At 31 years old. His FG% has dropped 4 out of the last 5 seasons. Suddenly, it's the second highest of his career in a contract season.

Even if he isn't trying harder for a contract, I have my doubts he will shoot this well again because... Well, it's not his history.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

• Premium Member
I would give him nothing higher than that. 8 or 9 would be much better but he might ask for 10. And 3 years is how long I would want him for so i'd accept that offer.

Unfortunately, we are not in a position to make Bib except a deal that's not in his best interest. You're talking something like a 3 year 24 Million dollar deal??

Bibs is not going to take that.

If I'm Bibby, I'm not considering anything less than 4 yrs and I'm pushing for something greater than 8 per.

We are at an horrible disadvantage because we have paid a guy like Speedy to be our PG at a ridiculous salary and he hasn't played 1 minute over the last 3 years. Acie can't get offf Wooody's bench. Guys who we could target that could be a "poor man's Bibby" will cost us upward of 6.5 Million per... I'm talking about Blake. Maybe even Andre Miller. Other teams will seek Bibby... I'm guessing Cleveland here.

• Premium Member
When was the last time Bibby shot this well? You could argue this is his best shooting season of his career. He is attempting the 3rd highest 3pt attempts per game and is making the highest 3pt attempts of his career. He has the second highest PG% of his career. The year he shot higher he only took 2.5 3's per game. So I'm going to say that season wise he is shooting the best of his NBA career. At 31 years old. His FG% has dropped 4 out of the last 5 seasons. Suddenly, it's the second highest of his career in a contract season.

Even if he isn't trying harder for a contract, I have my doubts he will shoot this well again because... Well, it's not his history.

Bibby has never played alongside a shooter like Joe. I mean, there was Peja, but Peja was not the lead scorer on that Sac Team.. Peja did not command a double. I think you have to seriously consider that this may just be Bibby being healthy.. Bibby not being asked to drive and Kick.... Bibby being able to freelance on offense and shoot when he wants to because he's wide open. I think the extra effort on defense that you see from Bibby is him working for a contract.

Bibby has never played alongside a shooter like Joe. I mean, there was Peja, but Peja was not the lead scorer on that Sac Team.. Peja did not command a double. I think you have to seriously consider that this may just be Bibby being healthy.. Bibby not being asked to drive and Kick.... Bibby being able to freelance on offense and shoot when he wants to because he's wide open. I think the extra effort on defense that you see from Bibby is him working for a contract.

Peja wasn't the leading scorer, but was still a 20+ PPG player. Peja was a better shooter in those days than JJ is now. Plus there was Webber and others that the other team had the worry about. Here, teams lay off Josh Smith and leave him open and you don't have to worry about Al that much because he rarely makes a true big difference as a scorer.

I do agree though that Bibbs is more free here to just take shots. Still, I bet he doesn't repeat this years performance again in his career. But it's just me to never give guys the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

Unfortunately, we are not in a position to make Bib except a deal that's not in his best interest. You're talking something like a 3 year 24 Million dollar deal??

Bibs is not going to take that.

If I'm Bibby, I'm not considering anything less than 4 yrs and I'm pushing for something greater than 8 per.

We are at an horrible disadvantage because we have paid a guy like Speedy to be our PG at a ridiculous salary and he hasn't played 1 minute over the last 3 years. Acie can't get offf Wooody's bench. Guys who we could target that could be a "poor man's Bibby" will cost us upward of 6.5 Million per... I'm talking about Blake. Maybe even Andre Miller. Other teams will seek Bibby... I'm guessing Cleveland here.

I thought Miller would be good for this team before. Not now. He isn't a good enough shooter to be in the same lineup with Josh and Marvin. We would be back to only having one shooter in the starting lineup. I'm not convinced that Marvin is a 3pt shooter yet. It will take more than 1 good month for me to believe it.