Atlanta should be proud of Falcons

CBAreject

The team had a great year and has perhaps the brightest future in the NFL. Enjoyed watching 11 wins and a playoff berth from a team predicted to win 1 game. The playoff game vs. Arizona could've been one, and it probably should've, but I'm glad our young team and rookie QB had the experience. I'm sure they'll come back stronger next year.

• Moderators

Definitely proud of this team and excited for the future. They vastly exceeded my expectations. C'mon Falcons, let's put together a winning season in 2009-10 and break our mark for futility in consecutive seasons!

• Moderators
i dont think we ever have had a back to back winning season.

That is the record of futility I am talking about. When even the Saints, Bucs, etc. have cleared that hurdle, it is one we need to clear as well.

after week 4, almost everyone I spoke to used the phrase "playing with the house money" to describe the rest of the season.

We turned into one of the top teams in the league. We have an MVP caliber running back, a franchise QB who has one of the top 5 recievers in the league to throw to. We have Lofton, the QB of the defense. We have one of the most astute GMs in the game and a coach that he has a ton of trust in; and we have an owner who supports them all.

I couldn't be happier with the way the season turned out.

Now, who are we going to target in FA? Are the Raiders going to franchis Asomugha again?

Who are we going after in the draft? Is Cody going to be another giant in the middle or just another giant bust?

Who are we losing? Brooking, Milloy, and Grady Jackson are leaders of this team but their all getting older. At least one of them is likely to be gone next season; Boley too, his production and salary don't match. Will he get another shot? Will he be traded?

after week 4, almost everyone I spoke to used the phrase "playing with the house money" to describe the rest of the season.

We turned into one of the top teams in the league. We have an MVP caliber running back, a franchise QB who has one of the top 5 recievers in the league to throw to. We have Lofton, the QB of the defense. We have one of the most astute GMs in the game and a coach that he has a ton of trust in; and we have an owner who supports them all.

I couldn't be happier with the way the season turned out.

Now, who are we going to target in FA? Are the Raiders going to franchis Asomugha again?

Who are we going after in the draft? Is Cody going to be another giant in the middle or just another giant bust?

Who are we losing? Brooking, Milloy, and Grady Jackson are leaders of this team but their all getting older. At least one of them is likely to be gone next season; Boley too, his production and salary don't match. Will he get another shot? Will he be traded?

I'd love to see us go after Albert Haynesworth in free agency (I can't imagine the Raiders won't franchise Asomugha) and target Brandon Spikes in the draft. Our tackle rotation would be terrific with Haynesworth, Babineaux, Big Grady (I'd resign Grady for 1 more year) and Jamaal Anderson (in passinig situations). As for Spikes, he is a leader and a ferocious hitter (ask Knowshon) and I think he would be great on the strongside (move him to the middle on passing downs).

That said, if Harvin is sitting there and we draft him, I certainly won't be mad. Put him in the slot in Harry Douglas' spot and we would be ridiculously explosive on offense.

How about a DE in FA or the draft? That seems like a bigger need than many other positions.

I agree we need a DE and I'd LOVE to see us go after Peppers if we can't get Haynesworth (I don't think we could afford both). That would allow us to move Anderson inside where I think he may be a better fit anyway.

We definitely need a corner, not necessarilly a shut-down guy, but a guy who is a starting caliber CB in the NFL with no qualifications (eg. "he could start across from samuel with Dawkins behind him"). I don't know if thats something you go after in the draft or you target in FA/trades. I'm also not so sure this is a DB heavy draft but I have heard good things about Vontae Davis from some friends in the midwest and he might be around when we pick. I do think linemen are the best thing to target in the draft and we can go after a DB in FA.

Haynesworth huh? It'll prolly be hard to pry him from the Titans the way he played this past season.

• Moderators

It will be interesting to see if we try to make a splash with someone like Peppers or Haynesworth. That definitely wasn't the NE approach to FA. Will our new GM go that direction at all?

It will be interesting to see if we try to make a splash with someone like Peppers or Haynesworth. That definitely wasn't the NE approach to FA. Will our new GM go that direction at all?

This is a great point. Signing high-dollar vets and trading draft picks was McKay's strategy and it failed miserably and crippled the Falcons financially for years. Dimitroff is from the school of thought that says you build through high-middle draft picks (2nd, 3rd rounders...some low firsts) and middle-tier, niche-filling, FA's. 2nd and round picks for guys like Curtis lofton and Chris Houston are very cheap and high yield. NE signed Roosevelt Colvin who was a big-name OLB. That was the only big-splash FA acquisition I remember from them, and interestingly, the signing was a bit of a flop, as Colvin was injured in year 1 and never returned to the dominant form he displayed with Chicago.

I think big FA signings are appropriate under the right circumstances. If you have a chance to get a pure game-changer, I think it's acceptable. Peppers surely qualifies. What I don't want to see any more of is overspending on declining vets like Hartwell.

New England, in recent years, has traded for or signed several notable big names. Randy Moss, Colvin, Adelius Thomas, Rodney Harrison, and Seau. I would include Welker since he was acquired by trade but to the average person, he wasn't that notable an acquisition when they made the deal. (even though the Patriots gave up more for him than for Moss).

New England, in recent years, has traded for or signed several notable big names. Randy Moss, Colvin, Adelius Thomas, Rodney Harrison, and Seau. I would include Welker since he was acquired by trade but to the average person, he wasn't that notable an acquisition when they made the deal. (even though the Patriots gave up more for him than for Moss).

Yep, Welker cost them a 2nd if I recall which is a pretty big move for almost any player.

As far as Dim, he gave a pretty big FA contract to Mike Turner so I wouldn't go so far as saying it isn't going to be his style.

All I can say is draft defense defense, defense, defense, defense ! A TE would be nice too ! If we stray from the plan it b/c I guy fell lower then expected who Dimitroff thinks is too good to pass up. With his draft history who would argue with him ?

Blank will definately spend for an elite FA like Haynesworth or Peppers if prompted too by Dimitroff.

Haynesworth is the kind of "nasty" DT coach Smith loves ! Did't he coach Haynesworth and Stroud as the starting DT duo in Jacksonville for years ? Hmmmm.

Peppers would be sweet for 2 reasons ! It helps us and hurts our divisions rival and the defending division champ Carolina Panthers. The big double whammy !

Anybody want to trade a 4th round pick for Brooking ????

Edited by coachx