• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tebow is coming back to Florida

Admin

Tebow should go pro. There's really nothing left to prove. Who was it... Ken Swilling... stayed one year too long and got hurt?

There's definitely a big risk in it. I guess maybe he wants a shot at another Heisman and a 3rd national championship. Has any player ever won 3 national championships in Division 1-A?

• Premium Member
I respect his decision and think it is the right one for him. He has really seemed to enjoy his time in college and I respect his values although I hate it for the Dawgs.

I can't disagree with you more. This has nothing to do with money or values. This has everything to do with the moment. He made a decision based on how he felt about the moment.. then he went to have surgery on his shoulder. If I'm his agent, friend, or coach, I'm sending him on to the pros. What this really is is him taking the opportunity to go pro for granted... like it will always be there or that he will always be as wanted as he is right now. It only takes 1 hit to end his career. That's not the negative view, that's the truth for any QB that plays in the SEC. The only reasons he gave for not going pro was that he was loyal to the university... Well, I think 2 championships in three years is loyal enough.

I can't disagree with you more. This has nothing to do with money or values. This has everything to do with the moment. He made a decision based on how he felt about the moment.. then he went to have surgery on his shoulder. If I'm his agent, friend, or coach, I'm sending him on to the pros. What this really is is him taking the opportunity to go pro for granted... like it will always be there or that he will always be as wanted as he is right now. It only takes 1 hit to end his career. That's not the negative view, that's the truth for any QB that plays in the SEC. The only reasons he gave for not going pro was that he was loyal to the university... Well, I think 2 championships in three years is loyal enough.

I'm curious what you guys think about how good a qb Tebow will be in the pros. Being a dawgs fan, it would be easy for me to say Stafford will be a better pro but I don't think so. I think Tebow is a better leader and plays the position with much more smoothness and control. I love Stafford's arm but Vick had a great arm as well. I'm not saying Stafford is Vick but it takes more than just having a beautiful release to impress me. Look at Matt Ryan. He doesn't have the arm of Stafford. In fact, most of the elite qb's in the league don't necessarily have the ability to throw the ball 50 plus yards on a spiral. Just curious what you guys think.

• Premium Member
I'm curious what you guys think about how good a qb Tebow will be in the pros. Being a dawgs fan, it would be easy for me to say Stafford will be a better pro but I don't think so. I think Tebow is a better leader and plays the position with much more smoothness and control. I love Stafford's arm but Vick had a great arm as well. I'm not saying Stafford is Vick but it takes more than just having a beautiful release to impress me. Look at Matt Ryan. He doesn't have the arm of Stafford. In fact, most of the elite qb's in the league don't necessarily have the ability to throw the ball 50 plus yards on a spiral. Just curious what you guys think.

Take a guy like Flacco...

Even though Flacco has a definite height advantage, Tebow gets him in in-game management and athleticism. I think Tebow will be McNabb Like. McNabb was similar at Syracuse... he was a guy who was a good pocket passer but had the legs to do more.

And I couldn't disagree with you more. It has everything to do with values. What he deems "valuable" His end goal may not be professional football. He may have loftier dreams than that. Who are we to bash him for possibly wanting to do something else with his life? Also, everyone knows him to be a man of faith who believes that he has a message to share. Where would he have a bigger platform next year? In college, as a potential 2 time Heisman winner and 3 time national champion or in the NFL holding a clipboard? He's beloved in Gainesville and Florida and can use that to further HIS goals, not his agents or anyone elses. Besides, what's wrong with striving to be the greatest college football player of all time? Something that may be in his reach next year.

And sadly, all of this from a Noles fan.

McNabb and Ryan are better passers than Tebow, more accurate, better footwork, tighter spirals, and stronger arms.

Pennington doesn't have great arm strength either and Tebow is certainly a smart QB even if he doesn't have the ability to throw the ball like Bradford or McCoy, but Tebow just doesn't look that good when he's forced into the pocket and its hard to see a QB like that succeeding in the NFL.

Tebow could prove everyone wrong, obviously, and become a star in the NFL but there is a reason that one of the greatest college QBs of all time wouldn't be projected to go in the first couple of rounds if he had come out this season.

Tebow should go pro. There's really nothing left to prove. Who was it... Ken Swilling... stayed one year too long and got hurt?

BIG difference between Swilling (and Stafford for that matter) and Tebow. Swilling (Stafford too) would have been a consensus top 5 pick had he come out as a junior whereas Tebow is not even guaranteed to be selected in the first 3 rounds. The money difference is staggering for a top 5 pick and a 3rd round pick.

If Tebow can go back to school and alleviate some of the concerns that scouts have about his ability to play QB in the NFL, he could literally make tens of millions of dollars by staying. On the other hand, it was never going to get any better financially for Swilling (or Stafford). Worse case for Tebow, if his NFL career doesn't pan out, the guy will still have the opportunity to make a fortune doing speaking engagements, working as an analyst for one of the major networks or doing pretty much whatever he wants to do.

Interesting that you use Ken Swilling as a comparison. Like Tebow, Ken is an extremely nice, humble, religious guy. I haven't heard anything about him in a while but last I heard, he was living back in Toccoa, GA and doing well. My brothers played against him in high school (football and basketball) and needless to say, he was a beast. I sure did hate that he hurt his ankle and was never able to regain his speed. He could have been a great NFL player and he was still one of the all time great college players.

• Premium Member
BIG difference between Swilling (and Stafford for that matter) and Tebow. Swilling (Stafford too) would have been a consensus top 5 pick had he come out as a junior whereas Tebow is not even guaranteed to be selected in the first 3 rounds. The money difference is staggering for a top 5 pick and a 3rd round pick.

If Tebow can go back to school and alleviate some of the concerns that scouts have about his ability to play QB in the NFL, he could literally make tens of millions of dollars by staying. On the other hand, it was never going to get any better financially for Swilling (or Stafford). Worse case for Tebow, if his NFL career doesn't pan out, the guy will still have the opportunity to make a fortune doing speaking engagements, working as an analyst for one of the major networks or doing pretty much whatever he wants to do.

Interesting that you use Ken Swilling as a comparison. Like Tebow, Ken is an extremely nice, humble, religious guy. I haven't heard anything about him in a while but last I heard, he was living back in Toccoa, GA and doing well. My brothers played against him in high school (football and basketball) and needless to say, he was a beast. I sure did hate that he hurt his ankle and was never able to regain his speed. He could have been a great NFL player and he was still one of the all time great college players.

I remember Ken and his brother Pat Swilling. Ken, of course, was the better player, but he played one too many years in college and his career went down the sink. Kinda similar (the brothers) to Matt Ryan and his brother Michael. Supposedly, Matt Ryan's brother was much better.

And I couldn't disagree with you more. It has everything to do with values. What he deems "valuable" His end goal may not be professional football. He may have loftier dreams than that. Who are we to bash him for possibly wanting to do something else with his life? Also, everyone knows him to be a man of faith who believes that he has a message to share. Where would he have a bigger platform next year? In college, as a potential 2 time Heisman winner and 3 time national champion or in the NFL holding a clipboard? He's beloved in Gainesville and Florida and can use that to further HIS goals, not his agents or anyone elses. Besides, what's wrong with striving to be the greatest college football player of all time? Something that may be in his reach next year.

And sadly, all of this from a Noles fan.

Very well said ATL!

And sadly, you're a Semiholes fan :(

McNabb and Ryan are better passers than Tebow, more accurate, better footwork, tighter spirals, and stronger arms.

Pennington doesn't have great arm strength either and Tebow is certainly a smart QB even if he doesn't have the ability to throw the ball like Bradford or McCoy, but Tebow just doesn't look that good when he's forced into the pocket and its hard to see a QB like that succeeding in the NFL.

Tebow could prove everyone wrong, obviously, and become a star in the NFL but there is a reason that one of the greatest college QBs of all time wouldn't be projected to go in the first couple of rounds if he had come out this season.

Yeah I certainly don't agree that Tebow is anything like McNabb was back in college. McNabb to Harrison in 95 was as regular as Manning to Harrison. McNabb was voted the Big East offensive player of the decade for the 90's and there were some damn fine players in the Big East in the 90's considering Miami was a Big East school then and those were some of our best years.

Back to Tebow though, I don't think he can be an every down QB because he doesn't have the pocket presence that it takes to stand back there waiting for routes to develop. He's not a great scrambler either in the sense that he doesn't scramble to buy time for his receivers. He could make a terrific situational RB/QB though and I was really hoping he'd come out this year and that the Dolphins would steal him in the 3rd to use in the wildcat offense.

If I were drafting a QB to start for a pro team I would take Stafford every day over Tebow. Then again I was one of the many who didn't think Ryan would be anywhere near what he's become so what do I know.

Very well said ATL!

And sadly, you're a Semiholes fan :(

Criminoles works well also...

On Tebow, I don't think he'll be that good of an NFLer, but then again I don't think Stafford will either. UF unfortunately could run the table. With Stafford/Moreno gone there really isn't anyone close. I say Florida crushes Mississippi in the conference title game next year.

I think he is doing the right thing. There are multiple QBs that are rated ahead of him this year, and most scouting services already put him as a round 3 pick at best. So it's not like he is giving up 15 to 20 mill in guaranteed money.

And quarterbacking is a tough position to develop in the NFL. If you are not being specifically groomed to be a starter, you end up needing to be "lucky" that the guy in front of you gets hurt, and as a 3rd rounder, he wouldnt be groomed.

The parallel here is to Eric Crouch, the Heisman winner who went pro, was selected late, forced to switch positions and refused, essentially ruining his nfl career.

With Stafford, Freeman and potentially Bradford coming out this year, Couch would have less competition next year, and could work even harder to prove he could cut it in the nfl.

As far as injuries go, nowadays most players can be insured against career ending injuries.

Back to Tebow though, I don't think he can be an every down QB because he doesn't have the pocket presence that it takes to stand back there waiting for routes to develop. He's not a great scrambler either in the sense that he doesn't scramble to buy time for his receivers. He could make a terrific situational RB/QB though and I was really hoping he'd come out this year and that the Dolphins would steal him in the 3rd to use in the wildcat offense.

If I were drafting a QB to start for a pro team I would take Stafford every day over Tebow. Then again I was one of the many who didn't think Ryan would be anywhere near what he's become so what do I know.

He could be an absolutely devastating red zone QB because he wouldn't have to make long throws, he could take quick shots at guys doing fades/slants, and he's such a bruising runner that he'd always be a threat to just pound it in.

• Moderators

If Florida wants to improve Tebow's standing, he needs to take snaps under center next year rather than from the shotgun. No one wants a shot gun QB in the NFL.

It isn't the fact that he runs the ball that makes people question him as a QB. It is that he plays what the NFL considers a gimmick offensive system that doesn't translate to pro ball.

If Florida wants to reward him, they will have him taking snaps from under center next year so he can show the NFL he has the necessary fundamentals.

If Florida wants to improve Tebow's standing, he needs to take snaps under center next year rather than from the shotgun. No one wants a shot gun QB in the NFL.

It isn't the fact that he runs the ball that makes people question him as a QB. It is that he plays what the NFL considers a gimmick offensive system that doesn't translate to pro ball.

If Florida wants to reward him, they will have him taking snaps from under center next year so he can show the NFL he has the necessary fundamentals.

Nice thought but that definitely won't be happening. Meyer preaches "team first" (and Tebow believes it) so there is no way they are going to do something that would be detrimental to the team's success to help Tebow individually.

Nice thought but that definitely won't be happening. Meyer preaches "team first" (and Tebow believes it) so there is no way they are going to do something that would be detrimental to the team's success to help Tebow individually.

... and maybe Tebow just isn't very good at it...

... and maybe Tebow just isn't very good at it...

You and Traceman and AHF are all correct IMO.

Meyer really hasn't had an opportunity that I know of to have a true pocket QB yet at UF so maybe he'll adapt his style when he gets Tebow's replacement, or maybe he'll look for another Tebow type. The guy Tebow was behind before was Chris Leak and he ran the offense pretty much the same way if I remember correctly.

I'm not sure that Tebow is capable of being a pocket passer and at this point I don't think that the can but you never know he might surprise us all at the next level, but as AHF said unless he proves next year that he can run a pro style offense he doesn't have much chance at being drafted high.

The Miami Dolphins used to have a guy that Tebow reminds me of back when I was young named Jim "Crash" Jensen who played quarterback, running back, fullback, wide receiver, tight-end, holder, and punt snapper and had a similar build to Tebow. Now I don't think that Tebow can do all the things that Jensen could do and I doubt Jensen was as physically gifted as a runner as Tebow is, but Jensen had a pretty damn good NFL career and if that's the direction Tebow wants to take (the NFL) then a role like that could be something that he could excel at. I've seen him catch the ball before and he's got great hands. Can you imagine having a guy capable of lining up anywhere on offense from TE, to RB, to QB, to WR to where he could run, throw, or catch the ball? Talk about a guy that would be difficult to defend.