• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Lowe leaning toward Braves offer per ESPN

coachx

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3829521

If this happens,I would be happy the Braves are getting a guy who can hold serve as an "Ace" until Hudson is back healthy or Hanson proves his hype is legit in the Bigs.

I am not happy they had to offer a 4th year but the Braves were desperate.

If they get Lowe, the Braves now have 4 solid starters with a possible HOF 300 win winner in Glavine being the 5th starter or a stud in the making in Hanson getting a shot to shine. (Not to mention former starters Morton, Reyes, and Campillo who could make for a deep bullpen and serve as insurance for the 5th starting spot.)

Now we can focus on a power hitting OF !

A suprise trade could be around the corner IF Lowe is signed. From what I hear some teams are fairly high on Morton as trade bait.

We got to wait until he actually pitches before we believe he sign here. This is a good move for the Braves. I prefer giving him the 4 year deal then givin AJ the 5 year deal. Lowe is more reliable. Our rotation now look like a big league rotation. I hope Hanson is ready. I don't wont the team to rush him but I would like to see the guy who we refuse to give up for Peavy pitch. Given the history of overhype pitching prospects in the farm system. Forgive me if I am not ready to buy into the hype of Hanson.

The upside to Lowe is that he's not a power pitcher so he should be able to pitch into his late 30's like Mussina did and even Mussina got his first 20 win season at 40 so this should be a gamble that pays off nicely although it's always risky paying a guy 15 million at 39 years old, especially when you're not one of the big spending teams.

To me it's a less risk/less reward to signing Burnett.

• Premium Member

I have been very critical of the Braves offseason. While this may be an act of desperation it is a good deal to pick up Lowe. If the Braves can now go out and add a bat to the outfield (and Not Andrew Jones), I think things will be ok for the Braves. The bright side of things is we didn't have to give up Escobar or Kelly Johnson, and/or other prospects in the system.

On John Smoltz - I think John Smoltz along with Chipper Jones have been the face of the Atlanta Braves. It killed me when the whole deal with Smoltz happened. I have taken some time to think the whole thing through and I really wished he was here. Problem with the ranting and raving about these things is baseball teams will be there and players will come and go. Smotz had to make a decision, he felt he had stayed in Atlanta for less money to play for Bobby Cox and the Braves. Bobby Cox gave him a call to try and change his mind, it didn't change his mind. Pro sports are about the money on both sides of the table. We spend BIG bucks to go see these players and teams compete and in the end the fan is the one that pays the bills for the "crazy style of living" the players and management of teams enjoy. I believe John was paid over 100 million dollars give or take a few to play baseball in Atlanta. He appeared in 5 games last year for 14 million dollars. How many of us will make 14 million in our careers? This 30 year fan is not upset anymore...........

Smoltz is still one of my favorite players but if you consider that the Braves payed 14 million for 28 innings last year. You would have to assume that Lowe is certainly worth 1 million more for hopefully 180 innings more.

And the trickle down effect is that our bullpen should be able to stay fresher because you now have inning eaters like Lowe, Vazquez, Kawakama, and maybe Hudson for the second half. (I'm not ready to put JJ into that category after only one season).

Now if the Braves can add an outfield bat, (I know most are clamoring for Dunn, but I think we'll probably move a couple of prospects for one. Thank you Mr. Peavy) they may actually be able to compete in the East this year.

Of course, if we flounder, you may see Chipper moved by the trade deadline.

• Moderators
Smoltz is still one of my favorite players but if you consider that the Braves payed 14 million for 28 innings last year. You would have to assume that Lowe is certainly worth 1 million more for hopefully 180 innings more.

This argument assumes that Smoltz was worth 14 million for 28 innings so I can't take that line of argument at face value, but I understand where you are coming from. I think this is a little much for Lowe, personally. I hope he pitches out of his mind for us and earns the $$. You certainly can't have enough depth at SP so it is nice to see us with more depth that isn't dependent on Mike Hampton coming back healthy!

I was on board with bringing in Dunn until I saw the money he want. In this market where corner OF are getting basically $8-$10 mil per. Dunn want 4 years/$56 mil which is $14 mil per. I heard we only got $7-$10 mil left to spend.

You'd be better off spending that money on Bobby Abreu. I'm kind of disappointed that he probably won't be a Yankee next year although I know we don't have room for him in the OF and I've felt that he's one of those undervalued guys in the league who don't do anything but produce for you. I'm not sure what he's asking for but there's no way it's in the Dunn range.

Looks like the Braves have 4 solid starters.

Jurrjens was a rookie last year, so you have to look out for a sophomore slump with him. Then Vasquez and Lowe are both solid, I give you that. Who is the 4th? Less than half a Hudson?

Jurrjens was a rookie last year, so you have to look out for a sophomore slump with him. Then Vasquez and Lowe are both solid, I give you that. Who is the 4th? Less than half a Hudson?

I really like Campillo. He can win double digits. And then there is Glavine. If he's feeling good and he's motivated, which he surely is, then I'm totally satisfied with 4 and 5. That's completely discounting what Hanson could bring to the table.

• Premium Member
You'd be better off spending that money on Bobby Abreu. I'm kind of disappointed that he probably won't be a Yankee next year although I know we don't have room for him in the OF and I've felt that he's one of those undervalued guys in the league who don't do anything but produce for you. I'm not sure what he's asking for but there's no way it's in the Dunn range.

I understand the Braves are talking to your Yanks about Nady.

I understand the Braves are talking to your Yanks about Nady.

The only problem is that Nady only has one year left on his deal and his agent Scott Boras. Nick Swisher is also a possibility

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

I like the 2 OF's the Cardinals have on the block the most....Ludwick and Ankiel. Ankiel could be a solid CF, he has gun for an arm like Francoure but seems a little faster. Ludwick is a power bat with average. I'd be more then happy with either or. They also have very reasonable contracts.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stats/sor...amp;timeFrame=1

Dunn and Abreau are very pricey compared to the guys that could be traded for. If the market drives their cost down it would be nice.

The only problem is that Nady only has one year left on his deal and his agent Scott Boras. Nick Swisher is also a possibility

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...8&fext=.jsp

I like the 2 OF's the Cardinals have on the block the most....Ludwick and Ankiel. Ankiel could be a solid CF, he has gun for an arm like Francoure but seems a little faster. Ludwick is a power bat with average. I'd be more then happy with either or. They also have very reasonable contracts.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/stats/sor...amp;timeFrame=1

Dunn and Abreau are very pricey compared to the guys that could be traded for. If the market drives their cost down it would be nice.

Hmm, I wonder who the Braves would be sending to NY for Swisher or Nady. We (the Yankees) need a decent lefty in the bullpen but that's about all I can see at the major league level that we'd try and get back for one of those guys.

Hmm, I wonder who the Braves would be sending to NY for Swisher or Nady. We (the Yankees) need a decent lefty in the bullpen but that's about all I can see at the major league level that we'd try and get back for one of those guys.

Maybe a catching prospect ? All I can see are prospects. Maybe one of the young CF prospects........Damon is getting up there.

The only lefty starter the Braves have is Jo Jo Reyes but he was horrible last season.

Maybe a catching prospect ? All I can see are prospects. Maybe one of the young CF prospects........Damon is getting up there.

The only lefty starter the Braves have is Jo Jo Reyes but he was horrible last season.

I could see a catching prospect and any prospect in the outfield, just not sure if the Yankees wouldn't try and get someone with big league experience to work out of the pen.

Like the Lowe signing. He's a guy that will have bad games, but then come back and pitch a solid 4 starts in a row. KJ better get better at fielding, because Lowe gets a ton of ground balls to the middle infield.

In terms of a power bat, there are a ton of options now. The Braves have pitching prospects and some, young, speedy, MLB outfielders that they could move (e.g. Anderson, Schaefer, and Jones). Any one of those guys could be used with Morton to get a power LF.

Nady would be terrific. I am not sold on Ankiel, but maybe, since he's shown some pop from the left . Ludwick seems like a better hitter, but not by that much.

I'd be happy with Nady, Swisher, Ludwick or Ankiel, but not at much cost. All those guys are risky and come with a downside. Nady seems the most likely trade targer, but I hate the idea of overpaying the yankees for a rental (and a mediocre one at that)I wish we'd just bite the bullet and sign Dunn to a 2 year deal. Seems that he wants a lot more than he's worth, though.