• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Remember when Josh Smith played like Al Thornton did last night

HawksBalla

Watching Al Thornton finish his moves by throwing down vicious dunks, I thought to myself that I wish we had a player like that, a player who looks like he can jump from anywhere for a slam. Then I remember we did have a player like that...Josh Smith. He just doesnt seem nearly as explosive near the rim like he used to. Is he still playing hurt? Has his tendencies changed? Has he fallen too much in love with his running hooks?

I dont know what happen to Smoove. To me the old Smoove dictated our swagger. Now he just wants to be Jordan like with finesse moves instead of dunking on these clowns. I wish someone would talk to him about that. Smoove is our swagger and we are unstoppable when he is balling.

What's wrong is that he got his money. I told you all last summer that Smoove is the type of player that would slack off when he got paid. As you can see I was right. He wants to play a finesse game but he isn't smart enough to do so. Marvin is slowly showing himself to be the better player.

Edited by Wurider05

• Premium Member
I didn't realize this but did you know that Josh Smith leads the Hawks in Field Goals percentage? Another example of why Josh Smith slacks off after having a big paycheck.

One, Al Horford and Solomon Jones have higher FG%. Two, FG% is a completely useless stat.

But I agree with your point. I've always been critical of Smith's flaws, but he has definitely NOT slacked off this year.

Just a point of fact here, Josh Smith takes exactly half of his shots "inside" and finishes all of them (layups, dunks, tip-ins) at 66% for a total of 8.4ppg inside. Al Thornton takes 36% of his shots inside and finishes them at 58% for a total of 6.3ppg inside. Josh also manages to get a FT more than Thornton even though he takes 3 fewer shots per game.

This is Josh's career high in FG% and his career high in inside FG%.

There is certainly some to complain about but wishing he had Al Thornton's shot selection and finishing ability would certainly add to that list

Just a point of fact here, Josh Smith takes exactly half of his shots "inside" and finishes all of them (layups, dunks, tip-ins) at 66% for a total of 8.4ppg inside. Al Thornton takes 36% of his shots inside and finishes them at 58% for a total of 6.3ppg inside. Josh also manages to get a FT more than Thornton even though he takes 3 fewer shots per game.

This is Josh's career high in FG% and his career high in inside FG%.

There is certainly some to complain about but wishing he had Al Thornton's shot selection and finishing ability would certainly add to that list

I seriously think that this entire thread is comparing Josh Smith to Al Thorton, in reference only to the Al Thornton we saw Saturday night. THAT Al Thornton played like he was angry at the basket, throwing down several vicious dunks, and driving in to throw it down every opportunity he got.

Josh has had some games like that, but he doesn't often have that same kind of attitude that he did as a rookie. Not that I miss the rookie Josh Smith-he's evolved vastly as a player since then, even if he doesn't always show it-but I wish he could play every game with that attitude. That kind of chip-on-his-shoulder, prove everyone wrong attitude fueled by his athleticism made him a very exciting player.

I seriously think that this entire thread is comparing Josh Smith to Al Thorton, in reference only to the Al Thornton we saw Saturday night. THAT Al Thornton played like he was angry at the basket, throwing down several vicious dunks, and driving in to throw it down every opportunity he got.

Josh has had some games like that, but he doesn't often have that same kind of attitude that he did as a rookie. Not that I miss the rookie Josh Smith-he's evolved vastly as a player since then, even if he doesn't always show it-but I wish he could play every game with that attitude. That kind of chip-on-his-shoulder, prove everyone wrong attitude fueled by his athleticism made him a very exciting player.

I would like to see him dunk more. He still takes too many long jumpers (any). On the other hand, he does score inside quite a bit for a guy who likes to face up a lot and he's hitting his midrange jumper a lot better than he has in the past. I'm actually fine with his offensive game right now, I'd like to see him start blocking 3 a game again which we know he can do and become a consistent 10rpg guy which I think he can do.

I was looking at fantasy nba 08-09 season prediction and smith is only predicted to average about 16.1ppg 8.2rpg and 2.4 bpg.

I think the issue is people wants smith statistics to go up every year he is in the league. Smith will never be a 20ppg scorer with woody at coach. he has 1 play ran for him evry 5 games and thats the OOP dunk. people say FG% is a useless stat but isnt that what people b*tch about joe shooting a low percentage?

I go into games now depending more on smoove than i do joe. Im starting to do the same with marvin.

Edited by hoodstar

I was looking at fantasy nba 08-09 season prediction and smith is only predicted to average about 16.1ppg 8.2rpg and 2.4 bpg.

I think the issue is people wants smith statistics to go up every year he is in the league. Smith will never be a 20ppg scorer with woody at coach. he has 1 play ran for him evry 5 games and thats the OOP dunk. people say FG% is a useless stat but isnt that what people b*tch about joe shooting a low percentage?

I go into games now depending more on smoove than i do joe. Im starting to do the same with marvin.

We actually go to Josh quite a bit in the post now and he is starting to produce consistently good results. Woody has been calling his number 5-6 times a game in the post latley and Smoove is making that jump hook regularly now.

I don't think it's a product of him getting his money.

I initially thought Josh may be of the mindset to let that sort of thing happen but he came out gangbusters this year before he got injured.

I'm not saying he isn't playing well now because of his ankle still, I'm simply saying that my concerns over him dogging it after signing that deal were quelled by his play early in the season.

Edited by gsuteke

"Remember when Josh Smith played like Al Thornton did last night"

You mean Josh used to play WITHOUT defensive presence? ;) (Yea, I know you meant on offence. Just messing with ya.)

Just want to point out that Josh played pretty well defensively compared to Thornton.

Rebounds: 15 vs 7

Steels: 1 vs 1

Blocks: 2 vs 1

Josh will still have his monster offensive nights this year.

I can't believe people are bashing Josh Smith's offense considering how well he's played offensively last month.

He was having 20 point games left and right in January and averaged 18.6 for the month. More importantly he was attacking the basket more than usual.

Perhaps his play was overshadowed by the fact that we've struggled as a team that month

i see where al jefferson got hurt . my fantasy has been that the hawks traded josh, zaza, and acie to a generous minnesota team who sent us al jefferson and randy foye and to show that we wanted to be fair we even took mccants off their hands. i enjoy josh as much as anyone but i am under no illusion he will ever be much more than what we see. i didn't crunch the numbers of my fantasy trade and i don't live in atlanta anymore but i still have love for the hawks after my beloved lakers. just imagine for a sweet minute a team of al jefferson,horford, williams, johnson and bibby with foye ,murray evan, mccants all guys who could be package for some journeymen bigs who have no problem playing their roles. i would love to see the hawks and lakers going at it for a championship. i guess i'm saying without a real post presence this is about as good as it will get with the hawks.being from pittsburgh and loving the steelers and their success, but i believe that i would be as happy if thehawks won it all as the steelers winning another super bowl. i was in pittsburgh when they hawks played boston last year watching the game with my old high school backcourt mate watching joe go off on the celtics . i don't know if i have ever been more proud of a team in my life, but to go further we are going to have to make some big decisions personel wise .