• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

And now, for something completely different

bronnt

Acie played really well tonight (it says that in the title!! :thumbsupsmileyanim: ).

Yeah, it was the Wizards, who make the Clippers feel good about their roster make-up, but still. He really did play well tonight. He was driving, he got a few lay-ups, he was kicking out to the open man, he made one very SWEET pass to Solo after all the starters were out of the game. He also got and converted an and-1 when he was driving against Critt, I think-fouled by Javale McGee.

11 points, 7 assists, 1 steal, 0 turnovers. Very little to complain about from this performance. He won't be a complete player until he regains confidence in his jump shot, but I really wish we could just see more of him. At this point, it probably seems like :beathorse: , but the truth is that we've got about 4 months until we need to make a decision on whether to resign Bibby, and we have no idea what our back-up PG is capable of.

But to move on, I was just really impressed by the bench in general. JJ had a very good game, but aside from him, the starters didn't do a lot-Horford was efficient, but in limited time. Zaza rebounded well, Mo Evans shot the ball well, but I was more impressed with Acie than anybody.

Unfortunatley, a lot of people missed this game (I found a couple of online streams for it) so not everyone saw this. I do think this kid is capable of being productive on an NBA level, but he really does need more floor time to demonstrate it. It's not like he even had a bad game agains the Clippers-his shooting was crap, but he was kinda decent.

Edited by bronnt

in order for Acie to be a legit NBA player he will have to be able to make midrange shots consistently. i think he can do all the other things well enough.

When he gets his confidence back he can knock those shots down,as well as the 3. I'm not worried about his jumper. I'm just worried about how delayed his breaking out will be because Woodson is still here.

When he gets his confidence back he can knock those shots down,as well as the 3. I'm not worried about his jumper. I'm just worried about how delayed his breaking out will be because Woodson is still here.

agreed.

And even if his shot isn't falling that doesn't mean he can't be a legit NBA player....look at Rondo. It just takes the right situation. In Woody's system if the PG can't make jumpshots then he has no value. sigh.

• Premium Member
in order for Acie to be a legit NBA player he will have to be able to make midrange shots consistently. i think he can do all the other things well enough.

Actually, he can be a darn good drive and dish PG. He has the speed with the ball to do it and he makes good passes. He made a very nice skip pass (no look, on the move) to Flip for one of his assists.

Actually, he can be a darn good drive and dish PG. He has the speed with the ball to do it and he makes good passes. He made a very nice skip pass (no look, on the move) to Flip for one of his assists.

He has to be a better finisher in the paint in order to be a successful drive and dish PG otherwise they won't respect his shot and will sit on the dish. Right now his eFG% is 55% inside and that is better than last year but he needs to be around 65% (where Rondo is) or even better 75% (where Bibby is) since he doesn't have a very accurate jumper. Plus he's getting blocked 26% of the time inside and that's a ridiculous number for a PG, Bibby only gets blocked 7% of the time and Rondo only gets blocked 10% of the time. If he can learn to finish and at least be respectable from outside he'll have a long career in the NBA but so far he has been pretty bad inside.

• Premium Member
He has to be a better finisher in the paint in order to be a successful drive and dish PG otherwise they won't respect his shot and will sit on the dish. Right now his eFG% is 55% inside and that is better than last year but he needs to be around 65% (where Rondo is) or even better 75% (where Bibby is) since he doesn't have a very accurate jumper. Plus he's getting blocked 26% of the time inside and that's a ridiculous number for a PG, Bibby only gets blocked 7% of the time and Rondo only gets blocked 10% of the time. If he can learn to finish and at least be respectable from outside he'll have a long career in the NBA but so far he has been pretty bad inside.

In statistics.. Sampling is everything. I don't think Acie plays enough to make an accurate determination.

In statistics.. Sampling is everything. I don't think Acie plays enough to make an accurate determination.

He has played enough to get an understanding of where he is as a player right now, maybe not what he can become, but certainly what he is at this point.

Yes, thats very true and statistics can be twisted to support your argument. Acie is better than people think but unfortunately woody's system is based on the shooting pg more so than a drive and kick pg.

Thats whats got me worried what we are going to do in a couple of years with no bibby and our other young guys no experience in a traditional offense.

He has played enough to get an understanding of where he is as a player right now, maybe not what he can become, but certainly what he is at this point.

Which has nothing to do with the stats you threw up. And no, with his limited playing time you really can't get an understanding of where he is as a player right now. How can you? All you can do is get an understanding of where he is as a player given crappy un-warranted pine. 2 games in a row now with one turnover combined and I guarantee you he'll see significantly less mins once Bibbs and Joe are healthy. I can also guarantee some will look at our record and say it makes sense to do this. Go figure.

When he gets his confidence back he can knock those shots down,as well as the 3. I'm not worried about his jumper.....

Well I am worried (as far as the jumper)...how long do we wait on a shooter to shoot? I mean really...you come in with a reputation as Mr. Bigshot (albeit in college) and you can't produce even on mid-rangers - what the heck? If you can't do it - you can't do it - simple as that. Just because BK picked you at #11 doesn't mean spit - he screwed up on TONS of draft picks before. Get in line....Shelden is first.

Edited by DJlaysitup

I agree. He needs to aggressively look for and MAKE midrange shots. He protects the ball pretty well for a youngster. He has good size and adequate speed and athleticism to be a factor on both ends. The key for him is to play aggressively and decisively. He can't played scared or he won't be effective.

I don't buy the "Woody is holding him back" theory at all. Some would have you believe that Woody told him not t be aggressive versus the Clips and then the very next game, Woody took the reigns off and let him play his game. I say BS. Acie may be tentative because he is afraid to make a mistake but that is on HIM not Woody.

I was a big Conley fan last season, didn't like Acie at all, but interestingly enough I think they are in the same boat right now.

Iavoroni had the ball in Mayo's hands on every possession. During that time, Conley was an inneffective spot up shooter putting up 8-3. Since Roni' has left, Conley has been putting up 15-7-5 and getting to the line almost at will. Why? Because he doesn't have a smooth or quick enough jumper to be playing off a ball-dominant scoring guard but he is very quick and a fantastic ball-handler and decision maker with the ball in his hands.

Acie is sort of similar. Don't think he's as good or naturally gifted, but he's also a point guard that needs the ball in his hands and isn't a great spot-up shooter... and he isn't going to become one over the course of the season, or possibly ever. That means that we either have to switch up the offense when he's in the game and let him run the show, as we did last night, or trade him for a better shooter who can more easily play off Joe.

Which has nothing to do with the stats you threw up. And no, with his limited playing time you really can't get an understanding of where he is as a player right now. How can you? All you can do is get an understanding of where he is as a player given crappy un-warranted pine. 2 games in a row now with one turnover combined and I guarantee you he'll see significantly less mins once Bibbs and Joe are healthy. I can also guarantee some will look at our record and say it makes sense to do this. Go figure.

Ignoring what was clearly a cheap shot at the end of your post, you're talking about 2 different issues.

1. Yes, you can get an understanding of where he is as a player right now because his play shows where he is as a player right now. I'd think that it's a pretty simple concept to grasp.

2. Whether or not he sees less minutes has nothing to do with where he is as a player or what he could become. You're bringing up something beyond his control which has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. Try to stay on point here.