• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

One area where Woody has failed

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I seriously wonder if the Hawks players even like each other. We all know they hate Woody but everyone in America hates their boss.

Check out some quotes from USATODAY.COM

Atlanta Hawks Team Report

The Hawks are watching the standings these days the same way they watch opposing teams pound them on the glass.

But if they don't start attacking instead of watching, their apathy on the backboards will end up chewing up the small cushion they have over Miami (three games), Detroit and Philadelphia (four games) for the fourth spot in the Eastern Conference playoff chase.

Friday night the Portland Trail Blazers pounded them on the glass, closing that gap in the standings in the process.

It's a connection that could cost the Hawks dearly if they're not careful.

"They were relentless on the glass," Hawks captain and All-Star Joe Johnson said of the Blazers. "I don't think we were determined enough, especially on the defensive boards, I don't feel as if we were boxing out and being more determined them to get the rebounds. They were getting offensive rebounds and getting put-backs, that was it right there, that was the turn in the game right there."

If the Hawks aren't careful, it might turn out to be the turn in their season. At 32-23, the Hawks have to do whatever it takes to keep up the pace they set with a 21-10 start to the season.

It doesn't take a beautiful mind to figure out that they are two games under .500 since that hot start. And many of the struggles they have endured the past seven weeks stem from their inability to compete with teamS that tower over the Hawks in the frontcourt.

"We can't use any of that stuff as an excuse," said Hawks center Al Horford, whose 18 rebounds against Sacramento Wednesday night was a distant memory after Friday's loss to the Blazers. "We're not going to either. We have to find a way to get out of this funk and get back to playing as a team on both ends of the floor.

"That's the only way we shake ourselves out of this mess as a group, is to get back to playing together. We've gotten away from that in our losses and it's obvious that's what it is. So we have to regroup and get ready for Utah (Monday). And I think we'll do that and be fine."

BLAZERS 108, HAWKS 98: The Hawks are kidding themselves if they think they're going to beat a good team on their Western Conference road trip without rebounding the basketball with abandon.

For the second time in three games on this trip the Hawks were punished on the boards. And just like in Tuesday's loss at Los Angeles, the Hawks were disposed of by Portland 108-98 Friday night in the Rose Garden because they couldn't keep up the pace.

The Blazers finished with 21 second chance points and 18 offensive rebounds. Hawks starting power forward Josh Smith managed just three rebounds on the night. His indifference to rebounding has personified the Hawks' struggles on the glass and their shortcomings on this trip, where they are facing four of the Western Conference's elite — they have remaining games against Utah on Denver.

"Give them credit, they played solid all the way through for 48 minutes," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "We were hanging around and down just two at halftime. We were still in the game. But they made a big run that we just could never recover from and it was basically because of our defense.

"We did not defend and rebound the ball well tonight and that was the difference in the game. We settled for jump shots and they capitalized on it coming the other way. The second chance shots and 3-pointers they made coming down the stretch was the difference."

• Moderators

I blame a lot of things on Woodson and others blame the players, but really the problem is lack of depth especially in the frontcourt. If you have guys not performing the fundamentals you have to be able to yank them without a significant downgrade. I think Woodson feels there is nothing he can do other than try to get them to listen. I'm sure he feels giving Solo, Morris, or even Zaza significant minutes would be worse than the starters playing lazy.

I was watching this specifically the past few games. They just don't seem to have that buddy-buddy friendship that they seemed to show last year. Lots of attention lapses during timeouts and no real rooting for each other. They act like a class that just got a week's worth of homework. If they'd have more fun, they'd probably have some better luck. I wish we had two more guys like Horford. He seems to genuinely have a good time out there.

I was watching this specifically the past few games. They just don't seem to have that buddy-buddy friendship that they seemed to show last year. Lots of attention lapses during timeouts and no real rooting for each other. They act like a class that just got a week's worth of homework. If they'd have more fun, they'd probably have some better luck. I wish we had two more guys like Horford. He seems to genuinely have a good time out there.

Al seems more flat this season than he did last season. Maybe its because he experienced his first real injury.

Note that this is not a criticism, but he has way fewer double doubles and "hustle plays" than he did last season.

I felt like the guys started out strong and I actually don't think that they don't like eachother. The fact of the matter is that it is a thin group and at least 3 of the starters (Josh, Al, Joe) have had some injuries this season that have obviously affected their games and mindsets and sometimes guys let that get to their heads.

With regards to Woody, sometimes guys tune you out because you suck and sometimes they tune you out because they are just tired of listening to you. Its happened with poor coaches and great ones.

It's like JJ's demeanor has worn off on all of them. Agreed about Al. Thought he would have progressed this season and he has not.

Wonder if the ASG thing is a distraction?

Who knows, frankly, I doubt its a distraction in and of itself. I think that if it does do anything, its just a a general funk that comes down from being employed by morons - less the actual situation itself.