• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will Acie Contribute?

benhillboy

'Ole Acie Law The Fourth! I admit, I usually laughed or threw a cursing fit whenever Acie appeared in games depending on the situation. I apologize, for he has shown flashes the past week. This was a guy who, a few months ago, couldn't operate off a screen correctly. Now it seems a light has been turned on, and he is showing signs of promise. There was a split-dribble that led to a foul against the Pacers that was beautiful. He's pressing the hole consistently. Fighting through screens and being an active defender. The accuracy, timing, and style-choice of his passes is impressive. He's also more judicious with his shot selection from the perimeter.

I've never been concerned with the rift between he and coach, because we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. I rarely find the AJC's coverage of the Hawks interesting, anyway. I hope that Acie and Woody have put their differences aside, and both have the singular mindset to allow the development of his game to progress. Although I would never call us better off minus an active body, it isn't like we have to go 4 on 5. Marvin's injury seems to have opened up oppurtunity for everyone to log a few more minutes, and they are making the best of them, as NBA players' efficiency generally increases with extended run. I haven't checked the numbers, but as in the Pacers game, I believe Acie has been on the plus side for the most part during his increased action. We fortified a run after being down seven when he was inserted, and his energy was a large part. 5-7 points, a few boards, a few dimes, good man D (Lord knows Bib can barely move his feet), and his improved ball security could go a long way and be the difference in a game in the playoffs. Do yall think he's ready to play signifigant minutes when the intensity is revved up a few notchces?

Edited by benhillboy

• Premium Member
'Ole Acie Law The Fourth! I admit, I usually laughed or threw a cursing fit whenever Acie appeared in games depending on the situation. I apologize, for he has shown flashes the past week. This was a guy who, a few months ago, couldn't operate off a screen correctly. Now it seems a light has been turned on, and he is showing signs of promise. There was a split-dribble that led to a foul against the Pacers that was beautiful. He's pressing the hole consistently. Fighting through screens and being an active defender. The accuracy, timing, and style-choice of his passes is impressive. He's also more judicious with his shot selection from the perimeter.

I've never been concerned with the rift between he and coach, because we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. I rarely find the AJC's coverage of the Hawks interesting, anyway. I hope that Acie and Woody have put their differences aside, and both have the singular mindset to allow the development of his game to progress. Although I would never call us better off minus an active body, it isn't like we have to go 4 on 5. Marvin's injury seems to have opened up oppurtunity for everyone to log a few more minutes, and they are making the best of them, as NBA players' efficiency generally increases with extended run. I haven't checked the numbers, but as in the Pacers game, I believe Acie has been on the plus side for the most part during his increased action. We fortified a run after being down seven when he was inserted, and his energy was a large part. 5-7 points, a few boards, a few dimes, good man D (Lord knows Bib can barely move his feet), and his improved ball security could go a long way and be the difference in a game in the playoffs. Do yall think he's ready to play signifigant minutes when the intensity is revved up a few notchces?

To answer your last question, I think he ought to be played more... especially with a shooter like Flip or Bibby playing the off guard and Joe at Sf. The thing I like is that when Acie is in the game, then Joe is not dominating the ball. Also, Acie makes it look like we have an offensive play book. He's good for chemistry. I think what this stretch is doing is improving his confidence AND improving our team's trust in him (including Wood). The thing that I have always liked about Acie is just like Horf, he came in with a lot of confidence and determination. Wood's coaching looked like it beat it out of him, but I can see Acie being a PG... especially later in his career, like Billups.

• Premium Member
Man I hate this D - but I'm afraid Acie is just a run-of-the-mill guard who hit some cool shots in college.

We got lucky and had a 3 and an 11. Got the 3 right (no brainer) but agian missed out (on the 11). Ce este' la vie.

No. PG is the hardest position to play.

Acie reminds me so much of Chauncey Billups. Billups was given more of a chance in the pros but he was bounced around alot... until he found a coach who figured out how to use him. I think what happened was that we buried Acie behind the likes of Lue and Johnson and then finally we traded for a premiere PG in Bibby. Acie never got a shot. Now, Acie is getting small amounts of playing time and he looks much better than he did before. It's just that we have a coach who doesn't know how to develop talent. Especially not at the PG. I'm not claiming that that's easy, but the PG is not easy either. I would have rathered we had Avery Johnson or some coach that can train a young PG.

No. PG is the hardest position to play.

Acie reminds me so much of Chauncey Billups. Billups was given more of a chance in the pros but he was bounced around alot... until he found a coach who figured out how to use him. I think what happened was that we buried Acie behind the likes of Lue and Johnson and then finally we traded for a premiere PG in Bibby. Acie never got a shot. Now, Acie is getting small amounts of playing time and he looks much better than he did before. It's just that we have a coach who doesn't know how to develop talent. Especially not at the PG. I'm not claiming that that's easy, but the PG is not easy either. I would have rathered we had Avery Johnson or some coach that can train a young PG.

I agree, acie has skills and you see it. It looks like acie can get anywhere on the court he wants to with the dribble. I think the biggest thing is mentally woody doesn't know how to coach young guys. I think with a different coach smith, marvin, horford and acie could all be better players offensively. Woody doesn't want to adapt to his players strengths though. Yeah if JJ or Bibby get hot or offense is alright but all these guys could be utilized differently to help us out.